Gumgardner's Crumpton

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

$20k, now $15?! I remember him saying the frame was under 6k... I assume sans fork. A bit wishful with the price. I know he's likely factoring the hours he spent on it, but second hand buyers aren't going to care for that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Pharmstrong wrote:$20k, now $15?! I remember him saying the frame was under 6k... I assume sans fork. A bit wishful with the price. I know he's likely factoring the hours he spent on it, but second hand buyers aren't going to care for that.

mises wrote:Sad to see that baby up for adoption. In my experience 1/2 the average internet price for new parts is what will get things sold, especially for light weight parts where longevity is always a question. We consumers are a selfish bunch.

airwise wrote:Well he paid a lot less than $6K for the frame, the wheelset is $2K and if the rest adds up to $7K at retail ( I don't think it does but haven't "done the math") then hes asking full retail for a used product on Ebay. Makes no sense to me sorry.

Bingo guys. Anyone somewhat interested in this bike will pay $0.40-0.60 on the dollar of what the parts cost. Majority of us on here would rather build our own special project build than just take on one from someone else. He would be wiser to part out the parts if he wants to sell. Add in small WW population, add in even smaller high end WW population, add in the poor economy around the world and you won't find many people willing to drop $15k on a used bike. Just makes no sense.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Perhaps the cost is for exclusivity, or perhaps he is calculating the time he invested in it. I do not personally justify that inclusion, but I am not him nor vice versa.

That said, I agree it will have a higher total return if it is parted out. I have seen used THM cranks go for near 10% less than their price as new, which is certainly higher a higher return than 60% less.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mjduct

by mjduct

I would love to own it, but I would be scared to ride it!!!

konky

by konky

Gum went to hell and back to get where he did with this build. Then he wants out having hardly ridden it. Very strange but perhaps not that rare a phenomenon.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

It's an impressive "money is no object" build - time and effort not withstanding. Price not withstanding, I think it's a difficult ask to sell it - it's a custom frame with a non-adjustable seat post / saddle combo.

I like the journey that I'm on - slowly building up my bike as time and funds allow. When I win the lotto (!!!), I'd definitely burn some tall stacks of $$$ building something like this in a hurry and screw the journey. When I win the lotto (!!!), I'm not buying it secondhand.

It's clear most of us are in agreement on a general sense of the used market. Tough pill to swallow, but used gear is just that - used.

I hope all is well with him and that he isn't giving up on cycling.

gravity

by gravity

If i recall correctly, one of his last post was on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103207&hilit=dentist which i think put him off cycling as a whole. Probably it irritated him so much than he would like to admit.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

As was said above, 9.9/10 of the very few people able to afford it would then just rather build their own, to THEIR exact specs......not his.

Amazing bike, hard sell.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Why make such a stupid comment? Do you feel better now? :roll:

I for one, think it's a shame that GG is not here anymore. He seemed to have a genuine passion for the bikes he made. Hope not any snide comments from what seems to be some few envious people has made him leave here.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

It's a shame folks don't have thicker skin.
It's a shame people use the word stupid.
It's a shame he can't speak for himself.

djconnel

by djconnel

We've seen this sort of thing several times before. Amazing weight weenie project, up for sale not long after.

The fact is most of the fun is just putting the thing together. 4 kg, 5 kg, 7 kg doesn't make much difference in the riding experience. I'm as happy riding my Ritchey Breakaway as I am on my lighter Fuji SL/1. I go to the Fuji when I'm being timed. That's a minority of my rides unless you count Strava.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Johnny Rad wrote:It's a shame folks don't have thicker skin.
It's a shame people use the word stupid.
It's a shame he can't speak for himself.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:08 am, Johnny Rad - "Thanks for the kind words, team! Your forum posts and bikes are my inspiration!" :noidea:

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Reminds me of Dubai...

you build the most/biggest/extravagant thing in the world but when it's out in the market nobody can afford/want it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

djconnel wrote:We've seen this sort of thing several times before. Amazing weight weenie project, up for sale not long after.

The fact is most of the fun is just putting the thing together. 4 kg, 5 kg, 7 kg doesn't make much difference in the riding experience. I'm as happy riding my Ritchey Breakaway as I am on my lighter Fuji SL/1. I go to the Fuji when I'm being timed. That's a minority of my rides unless you count Strava.

Horses for courses but I found building my WW bike a painful process. I love having a finished article of which every constituent part is chosen by me, but I would have preferred my baby (a Storck 0.6) to have arrived with the stork. Yes, a pun is intended.