Project: "Heavy Metal" P3 AL

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I recently acquired this "module" off of craigslist. It was an apparent barn find from an estate sale. It had no wheels, pedals, or chain. I robbed those parts off of my other bikes, as well as changed to my original S2 post for the original two position was way too short, and weighed twice as much. I swapped the stem off of my Schwinn, and it was able to be ridden. I now had my first TT bike. First impressions: "My is it ever fast, and wow this handlebar setup is absolute rubbish!" Someone cut those Syntace aerobars real short. I literally held onto the shifters only not the bars. I envision the previous owner was a 4'9" tall build with 29" quadriceps spinning the big 56t. Anyway, it was super fast on flats in the aerobars, and I admit I was a bit terrified of them at first. Also, I've never really had a big problem about brakes, but the Cervelo branded Tektros were garbage. Everything else seemed to work fine, even using Dura Ace 7700 9sp crap with a 10sp chain, and cassette. Weight as it sat with my 404 tubulars, heavy Speedplays, and bottle cage and all 17.3lbs

So I rode it for about a week, then I took all the parts back off of it, and returned them to the rightful bikes they belonged to. I began purchasing parts to better suit my needs. First thing was the aerobars, I went for a Zipp carbon Vuka Bull/Vuka Aero combination. I also changed out the brake levers for SRAM TT 900. I bought another set of heavy Speedplays, and put the other ones back on the Trek. If I get crazy, I may swap in Ti spindles. I bought a new X10SL for my S2, and just kept the old one on the P3. I didn't weigh it yet, but it is definitely close to a pound lighter just from changing the frontend up. Obviously a lot more aero too. The cables are so nice and neat now. I'm using a Specialized adjustable stem. I will probably change it out for a Zipp Service Course SL at some point. I just had this one sitting around from some other project, which I of course needed with the new 31.6mm base bar.

The improvements were astonishing. I initially planned on just using this frame for awhile, and eventually upgrading to a carbon P3 later if I liked a TT bike, and if I started to do more Tris. Now I am thinking this aluminum one is just fine. I'm even thinking of stripping the paint, and having the frame polished. I didn't weigh it yet, but it's definitely lighter. Might even be close to a pound lighter since I removed the bottle cage too. I'd like to reduce some mass in the crank area, but the damn thing spins so smooth, I hate to replace it. When the BB goes out, I'd like to change it out for something lighter. I might change out the chainrings sooner, because 56/44 is just ridiculous.

As it sits though, it still isn't to my liking, and all the Shimano stuff must go eventually. I have a SRAM Force rear derailleur going on as soon as it arrives. I sold the Dura Ace 7700 one to a friend. I figure it should still work okay in friction mode until I get SRAM shifters. I have a old Ti cage Red FD sitting around I could put on, but the Dura Ace one is doing a good job right now. I want to eventually procure a pair of TriRig brakes in the future to replace the Ultegra 6500 brakes I swapped on for the last week of riding. The braking was improved substantially. Eventually, I'll get the TriRig brakes, and a disc rear wheel. I'm going to work out the details first, and then those will come. Yesterday I was going through my old bike parts bin, and I found a S2/S3 SLC-SL seat post collar. I forgot I purchased one of these for my old SLC, and then it was warrantied, and the S2 that replaced it came with one anyway so I just happened to fall into -17g on the P3 now, as it is a perfect fit.

Cervelo SLC, P3 post collar:
Cervelo SLC-SL S2/S3 collar:

TimmS

by TimmS

Nice find, really like that frame!
Where the aerobars where a bit short at first they are a bit long now aren't they?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

TimmS wrote:Nice find, really like that frame!
Where the aerobars where a bit short at first they are a bit long now aren't they?

Yeah I could probably trim a couple cm off. Not much though. I want to make sure before I make the cut. I already cut 2cm or so off. I moved the pads in too. Going to try that out, and see how it is.

Dalai

by Dalai

ProfessorChaos wrote:I initially planned on just using this frame for awhile, and eventually upgrading to a carbon P3 later if I liked a TT bike, and if I started to do more Tris. Now I am thinking this aluminum one is just fine.

Nice purchase! I still race my Al P3. Would like to upgrade to something newer, but this frame is still fast...

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Nice bike Dalai. It even looks to be the same size, and we have a similar fit just different parts. Looks great with the disc on there. That's definitely on my list of things I want to purchase for it.

Juanmoretime, will do. I want to get some better pictures after I get it back together. My RD should be here any day now.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

To me the aluminium P3 is really an iconic frame. Although I wasn't always a fan of the color schemes (they even sold them in yellow), I have always found the frame shape to be very intriguing. Having it polished will definitely make yours look amazing, although it may turn out to be pretty pricey.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I am pretty pumped. I just bought a Zipp SCSL stem from a Slowtwitch member. That should drop close to 50g, plus look a lot better. It's the "Beyond Black" version too. I really wanted one of those on my S2, but the LBS ordered the wrong one, and I just put it on anyway. I'm pretty hyped to have one for this bike now. My derailleurs should be here tomorrow I estimate. As for the frame polishing. I've seen one on the internet, but no pics of it built up. It looks pretty awesome though in my opinion.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I just installed this for the time being. I call it identity crisis. It's a Red RD with a Force outer cage for that ninja look.

Still light too.
I'm working on something really special for the RD. For now this is all I got. I got the SRAM RD tuned in and it worked well with the DA shifters for now. Hopefully I'll have some free time soon to ride it.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

That polished frame does indeed look amazing! If I remember correctly that guy ended up having his anodized gold, which didn't look so great...

Dalai

by Dalai

If it is the gold anodized frame I recall seeing photos of, it the was the colour of the welds being a different shade that made it look odd.

Still think the black anodized P3-SL was the best look of all the official colours, though really like the silver version ProfessorChaos owns is a close second. :thumbup:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Ah, I found it. The gold looks really nice, it's just a shame the welds turned out chocolate. I probably wouldn't of done gold, but I think it looked okay. I probably won't do anything major as far as the frame finish is concerned until maybe this coming winter. My paint is in pretty good condition as is. I have to agree the black P3-SL was probably the best paint scheme followed by the silver. I kinda like the red/white too though. I think the shape of the P3 just looks cool no matter what the paint is.

I also just realized this RD will have dropped another 50g or so off of the Dura Ace one. So if my calculations are correct this bike should be about 16.3lbs once I swap the stem. That's pretty light for an old aluminum TT bike. It's mostly due to the wheels, but I'm pretty happy with that. I bet I could get it sub 15lbs with a Lightning crankset, and Fibre-Lyte rings.....

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

New pics. I now have water on board, which is great, and working on getting the position right.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

I'd prefer to not see the saddle mounted water bottle holders. How long are the TTs you are doing?

BmanX

by BmanX

I would prefer to not see that set up as well, especally a double bottle holder on the back like that. I am assuming that is for training?

1) Most aero would be an aero bottle on the down tube sucked in to the BB area and a bottle mounting horizontally between your arms on the aerobar extensions.

2) Aero but maybe not as aero. Bottle on the extensions as mentioned above and with a cage zip tied under your saddle but only for a single bottle at about a 45 degree angle.

3) Last option would be bottle on extensions and a regular one on the down tube.

Those behind the saddle bottles are old school and not great.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I basically bought this bottle setup because I stopped by the LBS on my P3, carrying a water bottle in my jersey pocket, and this was in stock, and cheap. It's also modular, and I can change it around so it is just carrying one bottle in the center if I want. I also want a Arundel Chrono for the downtube. I like the idea of water between my extensions, but I am not sure how well that would work out. I run them with little spacing between them, and I don't have much room for water up there.

I eventually would like to do a full IM, so I'll need all the water I can get then. It's definitely weird having all that weight out back, and so high. Out of the saddle sprinting you can really feel it, and I no longer have traction issues on steeper climbs until my bottle gets empty. I modified this mount to get the bottles situated as close to the saddle as possible. I flipped parts upside down, and flipped it from one side to the other, and I got it work out well with my setup. Judging from my side shadow it looks tucked in nicely, and my back is nice and flat. I did have to tilt my saddle front down since these last pics, and I may eventually need to replace it for one with a cutout, or something nose-less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com