Views on S5 vs S3 from owners

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I had the opportunity to ride a S5 a few days ago at the LBS. Great ride, but maybe not quite as comfortable on the short ride I took as I was expecting. It was the stock build as my friend was borrowing my bike for a race and I didn't have access to my saddle, pedals and wheels.

I have been mulling in my head getting an aero road bike as that is something I have been thinking about for some time. I don't have an aero road frame and just have a traditional round tube frame bike.

Despite the S5 being a great bike, I was thinking the S3 might be another option based on what I have read about it and what riders have told me. Based on the seat stays design, it could be more comfortable than the S5 which would be nice. Would also be lighter than the S5 I would purchase (would go with the base S5 frame). However, since the S3 is no longer sold, I'm not sure how to test ride one. I also assume I could find a S3 frame for a better deal than a S5.

I know the S5 is about "9W more aero than the S3" based on what Cervelo has said. I know it has more stiffness as well. However, I wonder if the S3 would still be good enough for what I need. Any of you current S5 riders ride a S2/S3 before and can compare them? TIA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

For you to take advantage of those 9W...you'll have to average 30mph.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Getter wrote:For you to take advantage of those 9W...you'll have to average 30mph.

Where are you getting that from. Cervelo says it is at 40 km/h aka 24.85 mph. Not 30 mph.

Getter

by Getter

Ok...my bad...but that is a speed you would have to average for 40k to take advantage.

I have an S2 with 404 tubulars...and I've ridden an S5 with my 404's...to me it didn't make much difference. Initially it did feel "fast", but I think its just me pedaling harder since I'm on an S5. :| :mrgreen:

Pick up the S5 because you want to...don't buy it thinking its going to make you faster.

thegunner

by thegunner

^^ that's not how watts work. J/s... you can take advantage of that for any period of time :p

53x12

by 53x12

Getter wrote:Ok...my bad...but that is a speed you would have to average for 40k to take advantage.

That isn't how the watts saved works. Maybe you are thinking about the 37 seconds saved over 40km riding at 40 km/h? You don't need to ride at 40 km/h for 40 km to realize the 9w saved over the S3.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I am happy to believe it is just me, but I really did not like the ride of the S3. For me, it was an incredibly disengaged feel with no frame feedback at all. This may be a result of my lack of power, or the completeness of the power transfer. I have a P3C though, which seems to deliver a better ride quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com