Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KLabs

by KLabs

jpanspac wrote:I don't give much credence to FLO's arguments. Their analogy of a screwdriver stuck in a 2x4 is laughable. That's not the way a wheel works at all.

Hi jpanspac, yes, there explanation is not so good but there rims look very nice. I wonder how strong/light they are ..

It would appear, that simply due to there being more air in the tube, combined with lower tyre pressure, that the rolling tyre is able to absorb/roll over the lumps and bumps on the road surface much better.
This allows the tube to behave more latex like, the tyre to have more grip/adhesion over the lumps and bumps, and as such better drive, braking and ride.

The higher the tube/tyre pressure the less effect latex tubes and/or wide rims will have.
Smooth surfaces do not require wider rims or latex tubes because higher tyre pressures can be used without drive and ride losses ..

thanks KL :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RMcC

by RMcC

After reading this thread I thought I'd give the vredestein latex tubes a try. The first one blew apart spectacularly the first time I pumped it up, the second seems OK but I wasn't that confident when putting pressure into it.

Hopefully it was just a one off manufacturing fault but at £12 a tube I expected more.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

It wasn't a manufacturing fault, it was an installation fault. It is VERY easy to pinch a latex tube in between the tire and the bead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RMcC

by RMcC

I'm pretty sure it was a manufacturing fault as when I put a small amount of pressure in to check it was fine it ballooned at a certain point, then exploded. This was barely even 5 psi according to the gauge.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Pumping latex tube which is not installed (covered with tyre) is installation fault.
Last edited by rainerhq on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

RMcC

by RMcC

I followed the instructions on the box which tells you to put pressure into it when inside the tyre but not on the rim. Which I did do. Even still not being able to hold 5 psi when not in a tyre seems a bit unbelievable to me but this is my first time with latex tubes

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

You just want a little dribble of air in it RMcC- if you're used to butyl tubes then you need to be ridiculously gentle with something like a Vredestein latex. I learnt this to my cost!

Once they're in they're absolutely fine though, and very much worth the extra effort in ride quality- let alone weight and rolling resistance.

Best of luck!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I followed the instructions on the box which tells you to put pressure into it when inside the tyre but not on the rim.

These instructions do not make any sense to me.
A latex inner tube is notoriously hard (i.o.w. impossible) to manufacture so that the entire envelope has the same wall thickness. As a result and given the very high elasticity of latex, it will tend to bulge at some spots when inflated in free air.
This should never be done as it may well permanently damage the inner tube: it may become even leaky, may even explode etc.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Does anyone use talcum powder on their tubes anymore?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

^this

I drop my tubes in a bag of talc/foot powder and shake them up, put my tire half on the wheel and power some talc/foot powder in - then roll it around to evenly coat the inside of the tire. Then put a small amount of air in the tube (using my mouth, not a pump) and install with care; pumping it up very slowly initially - rocking the tire back and forth to seat the bead - then inflating to desired pressure. I haven't had a pinch yet.

Zak

by Zak

DRAGON60 wrote:Does anyone use talcum powder on their tubes anymore?

I do with latex-tubes

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Yeah I talc the inside of the tires before putting the tubes in, latex or butyl. Before inserting a latex tube I just inflate it a tiny bit with my mouth over the vlave so it is slightly inflated before putting into the tire. The very first time I used latex tubes I was reckless and pinch flated one, twice on the very first ride, caught between the tire and rim. I didn't check my installation. Since then the only issues I've had since has been glass through the tire.

djconnel

by djconnel

Zak wrote:
DRAGON60 wrote:Does anyone use talcum powder on their tubes anymore?

I do with latex-tubes

Good suggestion: I'll do that.

Curiously I try to use talc with butyl, to improve the ability of the tube to seat itself, and to reduce rolling resistance (theory only). But it never occurred to me to do it with latex.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

my method - mouth round valve, mouthful of air, just enough to hold a very loose shape,coax into the carcass, double check it's not pinched - i am a clutz and I have used vreds with great success. They are a dream even in the cheapo wilier tyres that came on my GT. Truly transformed them.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

In what way does the addition of talcum powder reduce rolling resistance?

TA, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com