Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

well it doesnt work fine then does it if its skipping, the ratios are different 10 to 11spd it will never work and you are wasting money.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Anyone have a link to c50-tu and c75-tu rim weight? (tried searching)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpower

by mpower

I recently weighted the rear C50 TU 9000 series:

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

@mpower - Was trying to find the rim only weights rather than the entire wheel.

You ridden the wheels yet?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

rmerka wrote:I know it hasn't been discussed in this thread for a while but, any of you folks there that have a noisy cassette would you classify the noise as a ticking sound when your applying power in just those intermediate gears that are on the carbon carrier? If so I think I might have the same issue with the 9000 series cassette.

Has there been any news on this front. I know a few of you were investigating with your LBShops and distributors. Was anything learned in terms of cause and remedy?

With Ultegra 11 coming in a few months, I am thinking it may be easiest to deal with the issue for now and downgrade to some Ultegra 11 cassettes. I don't believe that Ult 11 cassettes will have the carbon cog carriers like the DA9000 does.

semaj

by semaj

BdaGhisallo wrote:
rmerka wrote:I know it hasn't been discussed in this thread for a while but, any of you folks there that have a noisy cassette would you classify the noise as a ticking sound when your applying power in just those intermediate gears that are on the carbon carrier? If so I think I might have the same issue with the 9000 series cassette.

Has there been any news on this front. I know a few of you were investigating with your LBShops and distributors. Was anything learned in terms of cause and remedy?

With Ultegra 11 coming in a few months, I am thinking it may be easiest to deal with the issue for now and downgrade to some Ultegra 11 cassettes. I don't believe that Ult 11 cassettes will have the carbon cog carriers like the DA9000 does.

I work at a Trek bicycle shop and I personally have issues with this cassette as well. Talking to Trek technical support, they believe the issue to be regarding the chain angle and the machining of the cogs. The tech rep there claimed using a campy 11s cassette resulted in no ticking/derailing sound under load.

For the record, I too have issues on the big (50t) and 21, 23, 25, 28 rear cog combinations under load. I have the full 9000 set up with 9000 cables/housing on a Madone 7 frameset with 40.7cm chainstay length. I have issues with my SRM 7950 crankset and the 9000 50-34 crankset set up with Dura-Ace C35 9000 wheels.

On another note, what's up with the b-tension screw? It seems to have no use since I have that sucker backed out so far out. You would think they could cut that screw by 75% to save some weight. This is for a 11-28 cassette.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

So here is m experience with this cassette issue. I purchased/installed a full 9000 group for my race bike in mid February and have put on many miles on it since then. I too witnessed the strange creaking/ticking noise when in the small chainring (39) and in the two highest gears on my 11-25 cassette (25 and 23) under load, but never had any derailing issues under load. I never had any of these issues in any other gears and never really run those two gears while in my big chainring unless I am in a demanding situation in a race where that is the only option at the time. The issues for me only lasted a month or so, maybe less and I cannot replicate the stated issues to this day. I can not remember if they disappeared after a proper cleaning of the bike or if the drivetrain just needed a break in period. I honestly think the noise arises from where the cogs are riveted to the ALLOY carrier. I really wonder how many people have taken the time to actually pull the cassette off the freehub body because the TOP TWO COGS are rivited to an ALLOY carrier. I have experienced no issue with the with the carbon carrier which includes the 21, 19, and 17 tooth cogs. I also have an 12-25 cassette on a different wheelset and have had no problem with the carbon carrier.

Foghat

by Foghat

On the subject of creaking cassettes, I've found that a contributory factor seems to be lockring tightness, or more specifically a reduction in lockring tightness after initial fitting.

Despite originally tightening to the full required torque, I found that the lockring was no longer at full tightness a few tens of miles after fitting. Re-tightening to full tightness appears to significantly reduce (virtually eliminate) the strange creaking.

Since I haven't had this problem with earlier Dura-Ace cassettes that comprise metallic carriers, I wonder if it is associated with the carbon carrier undergoing some kind of compression or settling-in process that results in the reduction in lockring tightness.
Freight-train groove-ride: 4'02" to 14'40" LOUD, bass right up and eyes closed!

rmerka

by rmerka

Foghat wrote:On the subject of creaking cassettes, I've found that a contributory factor seems to be lockring tightness, or more specifically a reduction in lockring tightness after initial fitting.

Despite originally tightening to the full required torque, I found that the lockring was no longer at full tightness a few tens of miles after fitting. Re-tightening to full tightness appears to significantly reduce (virtually eliminate) the strange creaking.

Since I haven't had this problem with earlier Dura-Ace cassettes that comprise metallic carriers, I wonder if it is associated with the carbon carrier undergoing some kind of compression or settling-in process that results in the reduction in lockring tightness.

I found this to be the case with my cassette. After I removed what was initially a properly torqued cassette, I inspected the rivets which appeared to be as snug as ever. I re-installed the cassette, properly torqued it and have had no abnormal sounds coming from it since.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Relating to Foghats comment above, I have been reading this thread with interest as i'm running 9000, another chap at work happened to have this to my amusement, the very next ride I went on I to was handed some karma and had the strange noise you all talk about, I'm running 50/34T and a 11-25T cassette, this happened to me in the gears where the Titanium cogs are mounted to the Carbon carrier (17,19,21T gears) when I went to remove the cassette that was originally torqued up I found it wasn't as tight as originally torqued and took little effort to remove the lock ring.

I removed the cassette cleaned what little dirt was on there and torqued it all up again to exactly 40nm......lets see if this does cure it but I can only imagine it wont happen again for sometime.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

RippedUp

by RippedUp

I just replaced my DA7900 with DA9000 on my Z1. Rode it for the first time last weekend, and OMG!! The system is night and day compared to 7900!
The brakes are mind-blowing - definitely no need for a hydraulic system.
Also the FD is buttery-smooth.

Overall, two thumbs up; I love it :beerchug:

kode54

by kode54

RippedUp wrote:I just replaced my DA7900 with DA9000 on my Z1. Rode it for the first time last weekend, and OMG!! The system is night and day compared to 7900!
The brakes are mind-blowing - definitely no need for a hydraulic system.
Also the FD is buttery-smooth.

Overall, two thumbs up; I love it :beerchug:

nice! i'm in the process now of switching over. good to hear.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I can second that. With the DA 9000 calipers, I can't imagine what is to be gained by moving to hydraulics for road applications.

dha

by dha

For anyone in the UK buying the new DA stuff bit by bit like me, Merlin have good prices on a few bits at the moment.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Is there any update on the 11spd quicklinks? and has anyone tried the 11spd campy only link with success?

found this.....

http://www.kmcchain.de/?de/produkte/ver ... ing_links/
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com