Alternative to Selle SMP saddle options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

can any one give me an idea what other saddles are in the same neighborhood of design as SMP, without the price tag, thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

None. That's why they cost so much.
Seriously though. I avoided buying one for years based on price alone. It's such a unique feeling saddle that it's hard to dump that kind of cash on something that 50% of the folks who try it love and the other 50% absolutely hate it.
Personally, I love mine and since getting it, I can no longer use any other saddle without it hurting a lot! They make that much of a difference once you get used to them. I could never recommend any other cycling product more.
But as I said, others absolutely hate them.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

thank you for your replay, I quess its time to try it and see which side I will be on, happy or hate, LOL

would you say that the smp helps you with pelvis rotation forward as well?

thx

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I can run my bars 3cm lower with it than I can without it. So I'd say yes.

fa63

by fa63

Specialized Romin is somewhat similar (and much cheaper).

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Currently running romin evo, its good, but still not perfect, what SMP saddle are you on

fa63

by fa63

I use a Romin. I tried a SMP Lite 209 for a week and still prefer the Romin.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I am currently running 155 mm romin evo too. It is good (better than any fizik), but I feel it can be improved. The selle SMP is on my mind also, but so far I refrained from it due to the price. The first SMP saddle I would try is the forma.

dvincere

by dvincere

The Specialized saddles (Romin and ROmin Evo) don't really come close the the SMP's. They market themselves similarly but when you sit on them there really is no comparison.

The saddle that has treated me closest to the SMP's, and that I actually prefer to them slightly, is the Selle San Marco Mantra.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I use a dynamic. It's a padded version of the Forma. With the way SMP's are shaped, padding level should be quite irrelevant provided you buy the correct shape.

Svetty

by Svetty

Perhaps so but I haven't managed to persuade my backside that it finds a Composit comfortable. Frankly it's just too hard with no padding whatsoever. ....

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've been happy on the Romin for quite some time... On a couple bikes. Lately it has not worked so well for me on my Wilier where I prefer to run more drop. It ends up feeling too wide and the nose just isn't right. I just picked up a Romin Evo in hopes that it would be the ticket and it certainly isn't.

Now I purchased a used Composit (selle smp website sizes me on Composit over forma) off eBay, which arrived today, and I hope to get some feedback starting tomorrow. The week I spent on a Glider left a pretty good impression on me as I was able to comfortably stay much lower and keep more planted in the saddle. The shortcomings were too much padding and too flat - which is easily attributed to the fact that the rep and the LBS put me on a very wrong model.

bura

by bura

Get a Romin..strip the upper leather kind stuff and below lubed foam off. Then take a dremel and size up the mid hole so far that the saddle does not become too flexy. The border line up to where you can dremel safely can be checked under the saddle where there is a stronger lip within the composite shell around the cutout. You can dremel safely to the edge of this lip.
After dremeling and sanding and spraying it in the desired color (no varnish) you have a saddle which is very close to SMP's.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I think you should spend more, not less. Check out Extralite's new saddle. Very SMP-like. http://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperSaddle%20MR.htm

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bura

by bura

Hmmmm..if you compare the price tag of the full carbon versions of SMP and Extralite then Extralite turns out to be a bargain. 295bucks for the Extralite saddle on their website.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com