Garmin Out-in-front Mounts Ad Nauseum

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sigismond0

by sigismond0

I get 9mm c-c and 14mm outside. Are you measuring the center of the holes or the outsides?

To make sure we're talking about the same thing, I have this exact stem:

Edit: This was the the person two posts up, not the one directly above me.

For the one directly above, looks like we're within .5mm of each other. To get an exact measurement (that doesn't involve eyballing the centers), unscrew the bolts slightly and measure the outside of the bolt shafts. It should be around 14mm. Then measure the diameter of one bolt, which should be somewhere around 5mm. Subtract for an exact measurement. (Looks like we're measuring the same stem, but your calipers are better than mine, but you're eyeballing where the centers are.)

Lewis

by Lewis

Ah my stem is different although it does say 4 axis on it.....will post a photo tomorrow.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Can anyone recommend me a mount that can be mounted to a handlebar with sweep back? I have a MCFK road handlebar that has a sweep back of 5 degrees.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Lewis

by Lewis

sigismond0 wrote:I get 9mm c-c and 14mm outside. Are you measuring the center of the holes or the outsides?

To make sure we're talking about the same thing, I have this exact stem:

Edit: This was the the person two posts up, not the one directly above me.

For the one directly above, looks like we're within .5mm of each other. To get an exact measurement (that doesn't involve eyballing the centers), unscrew the bolts slightly and measure the outside of the bolt shafts. It should be around 14mm. Then measure the diameter of one bolt, which should be somewhere around 5mm. Subtract for an exact measurement. (Looks like we're measuring the same stem, but your calipers are better than mine, but you're eyeballing where the centers are.)

This is the stem I have - this isn't my exact stem but mine is the same as the one on this Canyon. If required I can post a photo of my exct stem with calipers measuring the space between bolts. Please let me know, thanks.

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Yeah, looks like you have the 4-Axis 44, which has a wider faceplate.

xclemjustinx

by xclemjustinx

k-edge mounts, nuff said

Support American made

Lewis

by Lewis

Screw that, I'd rather something European made not something from the gas guzzling u s of a! :P

Jokes aside, I do prefer tillquists mount to the k edge.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

bought a tate labs 2.0 barfly. really sick piece. my only grip is that the bottom part of it is super bulky and interferes with right side cables. Doesn't cause binding and still aligns straight, it's just weird. But SUPER SOLID feeling. The click to engage the edge 500 is like massively sturdy.

Stoo

by Stoo

I've also fitted a BarFly V2.0 this evening.

As above, interferes with cables ever so slightly, but puts the computer in a much better position IMHO.

CLICK
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

Getter

by Getter

shinobiph wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/tate-labs-bar-fly-mtb-garmin-mount-to-be-offered-37625/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice!

I like my Garmin on my stem for my mountain bike...but using a 70mm stem...its too short to run the stock Garmin mount. I wonder if the new Bar Fly would allow me to center my 510 on the 70mm stem.

This is what I currently use:

I would like to have the Garmin centered on the stem.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

xclemjustinx wrote:k-edge mounts, nuff said

Support American made

But I moved to Europe :wink:

Honestly, I like the Garmin. It is matte black and matches the bike I use it on and I like that the clamp is lined in rubber so it wont slip and gouge up a set of $350 handlebars. Plus, I own a Garmin.

Tillquists mount looks nice, but he is clearly more into posting pics and blogs then making it for anyone.

K-Edge, alloy.... skip.

Some of the self-made offerings are nice but look like everyone else so whats the point?

I'll save more weight with a skewer or lighter tires/inner tubes (where grams matter).... I know, I know, this is WW (go drill some holes in your Garmin mount)

I'm waiting for a mahogany or bamboo one :idea: (not rly)
carbonLORD.com

by 573

carbonLORD wrote:Tillquists mount looks nice, but he is clearly more into posting pics and blogs then making it for anyone.

Yep, I've pretty much given up trying to find out when or if I can buy one.

grymg

by grymg

I recently picked up the SRAM QuickView because it was only $16.45 shipped on Amazon and tried it for the first time today. I think at that price I'm going to equip all of my bikes with it. It's 19g, subtract out the original 8g of the stock Garmin band mount and it adds 11g to my steed. . . It's molded plastic with hollow recesses underneath so I don't think you can get much weight out other than the bolt. To mount it I had to spread open the c clamp pretty wide but fortunately it didn't break. Bolt was torx which was annoying. . . but after using carbon paste and tightening it 1/4 past finger tight, it's not moving anytime soon.

Bonus was due to how thin the clamp was, it fit perfectly in between the two zipties on my Di2 satellite shifter.

I was weary of the aesthetics with it on because I like the handlebars with a clean front end, but I guess it will grow on me. Hey, now I can actually see the 3T logo on my stem :mrgreen: (that reminds me - I should scratch out the SRAM logo on this) The head unit fits snug and is harder to lock in, better than the stock mount so it's not going to accidentally rotate out. I don't have to look as far down to see the display which is the main reason I got this so the weight gain is worth it.

With safety in mind I hope more companies come out with the sunglasses mounted head units so I wouldn't even have to look down. If it was in the $300 range I wouldn't hesitate. For $499 or $599 whatever it is now, I'll pass.

On a related note I was tired of being buzzed by stupid drivers all the time so I also got a cycling mirror (Bike Peddler Take a Look) and it is lifechanging. I may look like an old geezer but I don't have to turn my head to see behind me which keeps my head straight as it should be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com