What frame should i get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Burgunder

by Burgunder

I guess it would be a good idea, to post a picture where you are actually riding the bike.

DMF

by DMF

mjduct wrote:Completely agree, the difference between you and me is: You are assuming that he is in a good position saddle-bottom bracket wise, and I am assuming the exact opposite.

I certainly made no such assumption, as it would be just as wrong to assume his seat is in the right place as it is to assume it is in the wrong position. None of us could possibly know, so it would be useless to make assumptions based on nothing.

Surely I'd agree the chances he got it right are slim. But that really doesn't go in to it if a 35mm shorter stem still makes him feel stretched. I rarely think he is like 50mm off with the seat fore/aft position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

I'm going to my local road guys today. They have a rolling road and they will help me a little, altough not setting it up completely as i have not bought anything there for 4 years..Maybe if i buy a seatpost or somthing :) (bought a Trek 7.5FX there in 2009)

HongFu replied my mail aswell. FM066 SL BSA BB and traditional groupset, fork, handlebars and headset for 745$
Is that the normal price?
Geo looks good in my eyes aswell. I also love the reviews people give them, sounds like a good frame.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Before such a major investment I would go get a professional fitting done, it will be the best money ever spent. This will save you time and hassle and let you find the correct frame fit, stem size and saddle position. Getting fit for a bike through a online bike forum is like getting health care from WebMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... GMqBQKDwkA

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

DMF wrote:Surely I'd agree the chances he got it right are slim. But that really doesn't go in to it if a 35mm shorter stem still makes him feel stretched. I rarely think he is like 50mm off with the seat fore/aft position.

The 35mm stem set alarm bells ringing for me.

Looking at the geometries

Scott Foil (L) Stack 569 Reach 394

CAAD 7 (58) Stack 592 Reach 395

The CAAD has a long top tube and a slacker seat tube giving a near identical reach.
Obviously that's frame only, not including any spacers, bearing covers etc.

Skorp, you should certainly be able to replicate the Foil reach on your CAAD.
It would be interesting to know what size stem is on the Foil.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

The foil has a 110mm 5deg stem.
Was at the bike shop today. They didnt say much. Put on a 90mm 7deg stem. Feels pretty good now i think!

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Went to a bigger bikeshop today. They are not doing well, so they have lots of time to kill.
Tried and looked at a fatbike.. I mentioned to the seller i have a road bike, but i couldn't get it to fit.
He offered to measure me and the bike to see if it was any chance.

Measured me, my leg and my height.
My seat height was adjusted 1cm down ( 2cm up compared to the pic)
He had a string and a weight he tied around my knee to see how the string crossed the pedal axle. Adjusted the seat all the way to the front.
He said that my "reach"(Seat tip to handlebar) was 4cm to long for me, and my toptube was 3.2cm to long..
Removed 15mm spacer and turned my stem downwards

After the changes, the bike rides very good. big difference

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51071&hilit=biomechanical

Put in my specs in this calc.. the seat tube is 1.5cm to long, and the top tube is 1.2cm too long.
Not that much.. I will have to reconsider a new frame..