Question to "sales and trades on WW ".

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bura

by bura

I mostly sell my second hand bike parts and components locally but am checking frequently the sales listings on this forum to have an idea about
new or used parts prices.
I really do not want to offend anyone but as a naive follower of this forum I am interested behind the story of each sales.
Some sellers do indicate why they sell their stuff.
Interested also about the story behind the pricing.
For example I just saw two pairs of tires for USD.100.- each. One pair of GP4000S Contis for example are available at PBK for around 45!! bucks .What is the clue?
Or shall I take it as "this is a free world and a free market and new listings in the sales are a diversity on this forum"? :beerchug:
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

My guess would be that he paid retail at his LBS. If I walked (rode) to my LBS and bought those tires I would be spending north of $100 easily with tax. Some folks don't shop online. :dunno:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Bura: the Conti listing that puzzled you is mine. Can't speak for other sellers or buyers, obviously, but I shop around the usual online markets for best deals (eBay, WW, Competitive Cyclist, PBK, ChainReaction, Wiggle, etc.). Prices on many components, especially tires and clothing, fluctuate widely and at times weekly. Today, for example, the GP 4000s Contis are $75 each at Competitive Cyclist and most other US-based retailers, but $45 at ChainReaction and even $40 at PBK. But I don't always buy from the lowest priced seller: delivery time; shipping cost; the price of other items I'm looking for; past experience with the seller, and other factors influence where/when I make purchases. So, I try to price new or used items I sell on forums like WW fairly based on the what I sense the market value to be, which may not be the absolute lowest price one can find on the item at a particular moment anywhere in the world. If I'm in a hurry to unload the item, perhaps I'll sell it for less than I would if I'm in no particular rush. But I never try to rip-off the uninformed buyer. (Have you noticed how listings for most items on eBay will vary from about 50% off MSRP to actually over MSRP!) And my experience in buying/selling hundreds of items is that the vast majority of sellers basically behave the same way that I do.

Also, perhaps you misunderstood the ad sales price: $100 for either pair of tires (2 tires for $100). The PBK price is $40 for 1 tire at the moment. The Competitive Cyclist price is the MSRP of $75 per tire, or $150 for a pair...

Bottom line: as you say, shop around until you find a deal that fits your circumstances at the moment you want to make the purchase...
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

In my case, basically I am selling the stuff I gathered on my "stash" when I was fully equiped on DuraAce 7800, and some frames that were bought during my search for the perfect fit.

Now that I switched to Campagnolo 11 and found my perfect fit, I have rebuild my new "stash".

The stuff left was bought some time ago so my buying prices are no more a valid reference, so to set a price, I do look at the "sold items" listings on the US ebay and try to find a fair medium point.

BTW, people in WW haven't bought much, most stuff was sold on the paceline forum ( but those guys are cheap so they tend to pay prices at the lowest end of the spectrum :p )
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

bura

by bura

@4thbook: Appreciate your explanation . I misunderstood the prices.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

mjduct

by mjduct

I've got a ton of stuff on sale, most of it is pretty new, (was going to use it for a bike build, and ended up buying a complete bike) I am just trying to get some money back, so I look at the lowest online price and go 5-10 bucks under that, and if an offer is made in that ballpark, I'll typically accept it. If the item is used then I will usually do half of retail. for example I have some 3T ARX Pro stems that combined have been very lightly used.

They retail for $70, I think I have $40 on them, I'd take $35 if someone offered it...

I'm obviously not making money on this stuff, but I'd rather get it out of my garage and have a little money in my pocket for the next project.

bura

by bura

@mjduct: exactly my line of approach when I am clearing my garage.
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

savechief

by savechief

I have listed perhaps 5 items in the WW classifieds with not a single Private Message about any of the items. It's not my pricing either, as I concurrently listed the same item on eBay starting at $0.99 with no reserve and in all cases, the final eBay sales price has been higher than my WW classified listing price. Maybe my stuff isn't nice/WW enough for the WW crowd.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

When I resell an item I always expect potential buyers to haggle. If I list something for $100 I am hoping to get close to that, but I am usually willing to accept less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

savechief wrote:I have listed perhaps 5 items in the WW classifieds with not a single Private Message about any of the items. It's not my pricing either, as I concurrently listed the same item on eBay starting at $0.99 with no reserve and in all cases, the final eBay sales price has been higher than my WW classified listing price. Maybe my stuff isn't nice/WW enough for the WW crowd.

The quality factor is there, also WW is a much smaller market and lots of the folks on here aren't living in your country. and International shipping is a deterrent.