Tubular bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

There are tons of threads here on this very same subject, some with very good pictures too. Personally, I've tried just about every single option under the sun. I gave up quickly on the bag under seat or toe strap under the seat as my arz and thighs are too fat and made them rub against the spare or the strap or the bag ruining my shorts in one simple ride. Also, I went through 5-6 different bags to only come to the simple conclusion they are all either way too big or way too small. The idea solution in my mind there would be a clam shell made out of carbon fiber that is barely the width of a tire inside but big enough to allow a folded tire inside. Costs more to make than what it would make. Hence, nobody makes them.

Next came the jersey pocket. I folded the tire in several ways and finally settled for the most compact and reproducible folding procedure I found. I took black electrical tape to keep it tightly folded. Works perfectly. I also added a small pump to it and it all fits inside one of those bags that come with sunglasses. Perfect solution in my mind. Used that for years. Quit using the CO2 cartridges after I had an episode in the middle of nowhere where I ran out of CO2 and had no pump (used to carry 3 cartridges BTW).

The last solution that I know works, but I personally never used is the water bottle cage holder. You can either use a cut up bottle or buy one of those neat containers that are basically the bottom portion of a water bottle with a flat screw on lid. Works very well if you can manage to fold your tire appropriately so it fits inside. Difficult to nearly impossible to fit a pump in it with the lid on. CO2 can be fit inside besides the tire though. Reason I don't favor this idea is because I live in South FL and it is a boiling volcano weather year round. I want all the fluids I can carry in those 2 cages!! I drink about 1 large bottle per hr, so I don't want to have to stop every 1 hr to reload water. Plus, it is hard to plan around that where I live. I have ridden in Italy and France, and if I rode there all the time this would not be an issue at all as there are water sources everywhere.

I have used sealant over the years and it has worked well for me maybe 20% of the time at best. The other 80% required a tire change after sealant use. I don't carry it anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Real men carry their tubulars like this

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Geoff

by Geoff

I still say that the best way to carry a spare tubular is to wrap it in craft paper and strap it under the saddle with a toestrap...

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

11.4 wrote:
I personally think there's a really nice way, especially for weight weenies, to do a spare tire. It's the one tire in the Tufo lineup that I really like, the S-3 Pro. It's only 195 grams, it folds down very tiny because there's no stitching and seam under the base tape, and although it's very thin and supple, it's also got a tough rubber that gets you home. Many people use big bulky cheap tubulars as spares, but it's worth it to get one of these, stretch it well (they can be tight to mount the first time), and roll it up tight. Because the casing is synthetic, you don't have any problems if it's rolled up for a year under your saddle. It's small enough to fit in a moderate sized saddle bag and then I simply fasten the whole saddle bag to the saddle rails with that toe strap, which compresses everything very nicely and makes it very secure. You'll hear all kinds of disgust about Tufo tires on this website, but this one tire is really nice for what it is. It isn't a Veloflex Record by a country mile, but it's a light, very compact tire that makes a great spare. Don't knock it.

Amen.
I've posted this picture before. It folds up so small that it's just not worth it to put it in a saddle bag or strap it under your saddle with all sorts of funky straps and paper.
It goes right into your center jersey pocket and still plenty of room left for other things.

I dont put glue on it, to ensure I can fold it up as small as possible. If you ride carefully the tire pressure alone is enough to hold it onto the rim and get you home safely.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I dont put glue on it, to ensure I can fold it up as small as possible. If you ride carefully the tire pressure alone is enough to hold it onto the rim and get you home safely.

The tyre won't change in size by putting rim cement on though.
Anyway, I just carry a CO2 cartridge plus inflator in a small nylon bag that also contains a tyre lever, a spare KMC chain link and a spare valve extender. A pre-glued and folded tub (one with a butyl inner tube) that weighs about 250g held together with a velcro strap and put the lot in the central pocket of my jersey.
Easy.

Saddle bags, all of them, are just plain fugly.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

thprice

by thprice

Change to this 6 months ago:
tommasini wrote: ... "space saver spare tire" (TT tire with belt) ... in the center rear jersey pocket along with a mini pump ...

+ a bottle of Stans

Thanks tommasini

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I use super glue and Stan's. This video offers a good explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsgHNA5Nuvw

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

This video offers a good explanation

You really should not be using Super Glue on a tyre casing. Besides that, the entire method as shown in the video footage is a lot of crap if you ask me.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Tool bottle for me, a small/thin tub like the tufo above fits it, with the other most basic tools you could need (I don't have any backup for most of my rides). What's also nice is that it's all ready to go all the time (also carrying a Pitstop in the jersey pocket, but will work out a way to fit it in the tool bottle, or mount it somewhere inconspicuous on the bike). Usually I come by a petrol station every so often, no problem to use a single bottle (750ml one in summer).

Teletori

by Teletori

Arundel Tubi is the best I have used. I can comfortably fit a full tire, two Co2 cartridges, and tool.

Sits out of the way, and no rattles.

cerro

by cerro

pro-style :)

The few rides I carry an extra tube with me I strap it under the saddle, nothing extra. Got to think about the weight.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i have a bag made in Alaska.
it's seems to be the right choice...

i can ride with a skinsuit with nothing on my back.

revelate design is the brand

http://eliflap.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/revelate-bag/

here pictured on my 29er, using it on both bikes
http://eliflap.it/