having second thoughts...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

a friend of mine and i both ride Scott bikes and on his, the carbon dropout on the non-drive side seems to be eating in by the lightweight skewers he's been using which is the external type.

i have the skewers from Farsport, which are also external types and got me worried. so i checked mine... and lord and behold... http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3407/dropout.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's not major right now, just seems the paint part got rubbed off and getting into the carbon.

so long story short.. my friend forward me this article...
http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/article/ang ... ers-36417/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it talks about using internal mechanism type of skewer instead of external. perhaps this will prevent more rubbing into the carbon dropout by using skewers like these: http://www.starbike.com/en/tune-ac16-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what do you guys think? am i too paranoid? or is this just another way of marketing a plain o'skewers? :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

my preference is for internal cams, but i've been using a few different sets of cheap and not so cheap external cam skewers for a while with no complaints. if you want to sleep easy, the big 3 all sell very ordinary, heavy but time tested and reliable internal cam skewers for not much more than the super-light TI stuff that's coming out of china.

addictR1

by addictR1

the big three you refer to are the same one listed in the angryasian article? also, how can you tell if it's internal cam or not? besides the weight.

shotgun

by shotgun

They didn't happen to much before because dropouts were still aluminum. I've seen this happen recently with my teammate's new TCRs with carbon dropouts. Luckily reps from Giant were visiting the LBS that week, and promptly brought the frame back to Taiwan and vowed to do some R&D.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

theStig

by theStig

interesting.. I recently picked up a DA wheelset and have been using the heavy shimano skewers.. Having been used to ti skewers over the last few years, the action on these felt surprisingly solid and smooth.. however they're 130g and need to go.

What about the DTSwiss road Ti skewers? They've got some slightly different locking mechanism..

sigismond0

by sigismond0

addictR1 wrote:the big three you refer to are the same one listed in the angryasian article? also, how can you tell if it's internal cam or not? besides the weight.

Just look at it. If it looks like a lever going into a pod, it's internal. If it looks like a lever pushing against a plate, its external.

Edit: http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

Any recommendations for light-ish internal cam skewers, something lighter than the Shimano and Campy variety? I've pulled the rear wheel partway out of the NDS dropout a couple of times recently with the Ti skewers I've been using. They tend to loosen up while riding which makes things exciting. :shock:

sigismond0

by sigismond0

If you want internal cams, you're going to have to live with the weight. You'll never find anything close to what you can get with external. If you need the security, you have to be willing to sacrifice the weight. I'll look around though, might surprise myself.

Edit: Velo-Orange has some very nicely priced ones that aren't complete boat anchors: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... ewers.html

tinozee

by tinozee

Good topic. What is that one on Contador's wheel?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Wookieopolis wrote:I've pulled the rear wheel partway out of the NDS dropout a couple of times recently with the Ti skewers I've been using. They tend to loosen up while riding which makes things exciting. :shock:
What kind of rear dropout do you have? Horizontal or vertical? Material?

Which model/brand (or no name ebay cheapo) skewer? Has it gotten worse over time?

Several decades ago I managed to have a tire rub the chain stay due to slippage on a horizontal dropout, but I've never done it with a vertical dropout.

RussellS

by RussellS

These are probably the lightest internal cam skewers. Tune AC14
http://www.starbike.com/en/tune-ac14/

addictR1

by addictR1

@tinozee: they look like the tuned version.
@RussellS: what's the difference between teh ac14 vs. the ac16-17 i posted? they look nearly identical.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

HammerTime, carbon, vertical dropouts. It has only happened twice, within the last month or so. They are the skewers on my tubs so they don't get used all the time, and I've been swapping the rear for a heavier skewer in races. Skewers are from Bike Hub Store, so the same ones you'll find on ebay. It is an issue when getting out of the saddle at low speeds, the rear wheel shifts towards the NDS chain stay and pulls part way out of the dropout. If I check them before every ride it is fine, so that is the simple solution.

The weight is right on the Tune skewers, but they ain't cheap!

addictR1

by addictR1

@Wookieopolis: granted the tuned version aren't cheap for sure.. but if they provide internal cam locking mechanism and longer life for my frame.. it just might be worth it. :)

holy crap... even with the 10% off.. it's like $116.44. :unbelievable:
Last edited by addictR1 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

One is MTB and the other is road, so the difference is probably about 5mm. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com