Running Campy 11s on Exogram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

Does anyone have direct experience running Campy 11s on the Sram Exogram crankset, specifically with the stock rings? I am looking to buy a new Chorus group, but I would really like to stick with a normal 110 bcd crankset, specifically the Exogram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'd ask why not still just got the Campag crank.

But it works fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

system787

by system787

It shifts and works fine. I used exogram rings with a Campy Chorus 11 setup since the ultra torque + bb30 creak was bugging me to my wits end.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Tinea Pedis wrote:I'd ask why not still just got the Campag crank.

xjbaylor wrote:I would really like to stick with a normal 110 bcd crankset.

I think that's why? Campagnolo does not have a normal BCD - neither on the standard nor compact cranksets. One of the bolts falls beyond the standard BCD pattern on the compact version, which is also why even after-market brands offer separate Campagnolo-compatible chainrings in addition to the 'universal' standards of 130 and 110 BCDs. Campagnolo standard is 135BCD. To some people that's an issue, to each their own, no? :noidea:

edit: I was informed of the true BCD differences via pm from a wise user here, and I thank that person for the correction which I've reflected here in italics.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

prendrefeu, thank you but well aware of the standards.

The impression I got was that the OP will be running compact, with (I'm guessing) the idea that he might be able to swap in 110 BCD standard size rings.

My point is why are you going to compromise shifting for an option you're, in reality, not ever going to do often. The mantra I was always taught was 'buy your bike for 99% of the riding you'll be doing', which in this case I'll venture will be with a compact set up.

In which case, like I posted, why not stick with the Campag cranks and keep performance optimal for the vast majority of the time you're riding. Nothing would sh!t me more than bad shifting but having to think "but at least I can swap in standard rings...one day..."

elSid

by elSid

Maybe the OP already has an exogram crankset. I know s/he said they were considering a Chorus group, but plenty of retailers allow you to save money by removing one item from the 'group.'

Another possible reason: Campagnolo doesn't make compact cranks in lengths over 175mm. Sram makes a 177.5mm compact, and used to make a 180mm compact. Don't know if it is still made.

Finally, depending on how picky one is with gear ratios, you can squeeze a 33t inner ring onto a 110bcd, but no lower than 34t on a campag not-quite-110bcd. Also odd sizes are harder to locate for the campy standard vs standard 110bcd, for example, 35t, 37t, 40t, 41t etc. Not to mention, a campag not-quite 110bcd 34t is almost always going to be more expensive than a true 110bcd 34t.

Anyway, as for what the OP was actually asking: I have run campagnolo 11 speed with a Sram Rival crankset, although the shifting was mediocre and loud with the stock rings. However, when I switched to Specialites TA 50/33, it was perfect. In fact, my other bike that has full campag 11 group and cranks is considerably louder in the granny gear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

To clear up any confusion, prendrefeu nailed it, I like having more options. I dislike proprietary technology that limits my options, and the options are more plentiful in the states with Sram. I am hoping to run this bike 48/36 all the time, as I will be using it for CX, gravel and road riding. Since I live in Texas long downhills don't exist, and 48/11 would be fine for road and perfect for gravel and cross.

I did end up buying a Chorus crankset, and now I am having minor buyers remorse. I am still tempted by a stripped exogram with Praxis CX rings, but I will save that for the next bike...unless I find a great deal... For now I just have to remind myself how classy Campy cranks look, to me at least.