Has anyone tried a Wolftooth chainring ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Has anyone tried a Wolftooth chaingring? I heard these can be used without a chain guide, when they are being used as a single speed setup. I 'm currently using a single chainring setup with a 30th Extralite chainring but the chain keeps falling off.

I wanted a Helium chain guide but it wont fit my Spark. The piece that would go over the chainring wouldnt reach the ring, due to the chain guide clamp not being able to go all the way down on the seat tube bc the seat tube is oversized on lower section by the bottom bracket.

I was searching for chain guides, and a lot of them are too bulky. I was thinking of just buying a derailleur and using it as a chainguide...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

I haven't tried them but I'm sure they work. Race Face is another option.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

I have tried them. I have been trying all sorts of jumps and ride on rough terrain as I could with my Spark and I haven't dropped a chain yet with XX1 chain. I haven't tried other chains yet.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Thanks. I ended up buying a used dura ace derailleur for $30. I'll use this as a chain guide.

socratease

by socratease

I just installed one on a spark for a customer. He's currently testing it out without a clutch derailleur. Test rode it hard: we'll see if it requires a chain keeper.

billmania

by billmania

Only dropped the chain once so far in 50+ miles of off road testing without a clutch rear der. I would say that if you have a non-clutch rear der and a chainguide there is no practical way to drop a chain. I had to try to drop mine, by pedaling backwards at about 30mph in 32x11 gear, where the chain tension would be the lowest. I think if i took about three more links out then I would never drop a chain even without a chainguide, of course that would create more problems than it would solve. Too bad us 9 speed people cant buy a stronger spring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nrsnow

by nrsnow

socratease wrote:I just installed one on a spark for a customer. He's currently testing it out without a clutch derailleur. Test rode it hard: we'll see if it requires a chain keeper.

Any updates?