Isaac Sonic - Limited Edition nr. 179

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Nursing a bit of a pride injury, but I'll be ok ;). I was literally going 10kph and tried to double back a missed turn and hit all gravel and sand when my front wheel washed out. Cracked the top tube on top and bottom (but not on sides) about midway down the tube. I think it was the 3rd time I had ditched it, but the fist time anything cracked. I think had I been going faster it'd have been ok, oh well.

As for performance, I've owned a 2010 Merckx EMX-5 and a Canyon Ultimate Slx and I prefer the Sonic to both- I'd say it's a real 'classics' bike without the soft ride.

BB is darn stiff but not in the way that some of the new superstiff bikes (Canyon) don't carry your momentum when you pedal, the bike moves with you.

The ride is a bit rumbly, but never harsh, the good side of the EMX-5. It carries it's speed well on the flat, maybe a slight end to the EMX-5 here, but it's better than the Canyon.

Climbing, it's weight is more like the EMX-5 than the Canyon, but the rear wheel seems a bit closer under your butt so it moves when asked.

Descending is fantastic, it has high speed stability, stiffness, feedback, planted feel, and nippy when needed (EMX-5 falls down on nippiness I think and the Canyon is too flighty for me).

For what it's worth, I saw a 2012 Boson the other day and I'm pretty sure it's the exact same mold as the old Sonic, not sure about the carbon layup etc tho...
http://www.isaac-cycle.com/en/models/boson-2012

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Geeking out for a sec, looking at the geo charts of the emx-5 and the Isaac, in fact what I'm feeling is right there in the numbers. I don't mind the long front-center of the Isaac.

Isaac
Rake- 48
Front/Center-608
Chainstays- 406
Wheelbase- 1006

Merckx
Rake-43
Front/Center-600
Chainstays- 410
Wheelbase- 1000

Canyon- 43ish
Front/Center-? but short
Chainstays- 405
Wheelbase- 990

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

ultyguy wrote:Nursing a bit of a pride injury, but I'll be ok ;)

:thumbup:

Wilco

by Wilco

Frameset is up for sale now.
Got bored with it and build a Cervelo S2 with some of the components.
In case anyone might me interested, contact me, have it up for sale for a pretty sweet price!

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Wilco wrote:Frameset is up for sale now.
Got bored with it

this made me chuckle. GLWS
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Back in the saddle!

Quite a hodge podge build, but it's back! Found a very lightly used frameset for a paltry 400 Eur. It's a race bike, it works, it's not precious. I tend to break stuff.

Shifters/detailleurs- 7900
Brakes-6600
Chain set- Rival (stiff and cheap)
Cages- tacx plastic
Bars/stem-FSA alu
Post-Thomson set back
Saddle- Prologo Scratch, only had white
Wheels- Reynolds DV3KT older style w dt Swiss hubs
Tubs- conti gatorskin sprinter
Cassette- 6700
Cables- gore ride on, only had white around
Pedals- 6700 carbon
Garmin out front + 500

Weight 7.3 kgs
Stiffness- STIFF
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370977660.969869.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370977676.998061.jpg

Krull

by Krull

this is nice! its one of my favorite isaac-designs! although wheelset goes perfect with the frame.
maybe other bottle cages.
not precious? hm, thomson-post, reynolds-wheelset, prologo saddle, the frameset.... those ar really nice parts, in my opinion.
only picture could be better.
good ride! and successfull racing-season! :thumbup:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Only have my iPhone for camera but those were taken at dusk, maybe a bit better...
The post was off the Sonic I broke, zipps here from Privateer before he jumped back to oz (thanks mate, they rock!), found frame very lightly used for 400 Eur. Cages are kinda weak but they match the frame and work ok.

All in all, 1000 Eur before wheels taken into consideration. Doubt u can find a 1000 Eur bike as good as that anywhere :-D
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371570927.559029.jpg

Krull

by Krull

Little update and nicer Picture of my repainted Isaac sonic ltd:

Last edited by Krull on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Oh WOW, holy cow, daddy want!

Who/where/how on the paintjob?

Simon BP

by Simon BP

Looks really good!! Did it get any lighter with that new paintjob? :mrgreen:

Krull

by Krull

@ultyguy: paintjob was done here in germany, by carbonklinik. recommendation!
http://www.carbon-klinik.de/carbon-klin ... linik.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@simon:
yes, frame became 74 gramm lighter (now 848 gramm), the (3t!)-fork 14 gramm (now 298 gramm, with expander).

best regards

Krull

by Krull

new slr-team saddle does not work at all for me, nice-looking, but causing problems on longer rides! replaced it with my prologo, 50 gramm heavier, but much much better! (.....never had those problems with the old slr).
used my recreation-week for an according outdoor-picture-update.

Krull

by Krull

only for Information, nothing to get excited about: just a little change of colour-scheme.
r-sys are really good, perfect wheelset for the mountains, mavic did a good job hereof!
best regards,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

Little snapshot with the fulcrums (which i never use with this bike ;-) ).
season is over, thought about replacing this bike with a Ridley Helium SL in 2014, but.... no, i think i will use this Isaac for at least one more season, never change a running System! :-)