New Giant Propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

I think tire clearance will be dependent on the width of the wheels being used with the frame. I ran Vittoria Open Evo Corsa CX II in 700x25 with Reynolds DV-46's on my 2010 TCR Advanced SL but clearance was very tight and changing to the trainer wheel required a bit of patience. Clearance with the same tires noticeably improved when we switched to the wider Zipp 303 Firecrests although the added internal width resulted in the tires measuring closer to 28mm wide.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

Any idea if they come just as a frameset in the US?

ms6073

by ms6073

Doesn't appear to be as there is not a link to a frameset at the bottom of the Giant Propel Advanced page where it lists related models.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Kingston

by Kingston

I've been looking to find some reviews of the Giant Propel, but I only find "reviews" from mags there's just rewriting the official Giant material.

Has anybody here actually ridden it?

difrim

by difrim

just saw this today at the LBS, looks even better in person, apparently only 13 in canada so he wont let anyone test it

wheelthang

by wheelthang

Been riding one now (M/L) for few months here in Colorado.
Previous bike was an SWks Venge 56. Both Di2, this one 11spd.
Most notable off the bat is the handling....mind you the Venge seemed VERY quick in the steering to me. The Propel feels like a typical TCR in that arena.
Descending is very stable on the Propel, no crazy surprises on either long high speed (45mph+) or non-tight curvy canyon stuff.
Crits-this is where the bike feels like a bit of a cow in the corners. To get it to turn like the Venge, ya gotta give her a little kick in the side.
Sprinting is awesome! Holds the line and I don't feel any rear-end flex that's noteworthy. (I'm 5'11" 155lbs)
Dirt-The few "roubaixs" we have here in Colorado are really just gravel or hard-pack. I felt pretty beat up post races, similar to the Venge.
Aero-Whatever?? I'm not fast enough for those numbers to change MY life.
On a non-handling topic, the brakes.....SUCK!!! After only 2 weeks with the bike, the brakes were recalled. The replacements, not knowing what was changed, aren't any better. Switched to Nokon...a tad bit better. They have a tendency to self center at will. Praying for an alternative other than the custom ones Blanco had made!

Sorry, the venge is all I can reasonably compare it with right now.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the bike, seems like a good mixture of many worlds. I do notice that the Blanco guys spend most of their time on the TCR, unless they are the designated sprinter. (that probably says allot)

pastronef

by pastronef

wheelthang wrote:Been riding one now (M/L) for few months here in Colorado.

On a non-handling topic, the brakes.....SUCK!!! After only 2 weeks with the bike, the brakes were recalled. The replacements, not knowing what was changed, aren't any better. Switched to Nokon...a tad bit better. They have a tendency to self center at will. Praying for an alternative other than the custom ones Blanco had made!

Blanco team uses FOURIERS brakes (a swiss company)

http://road.cc/content/news/84575-team- ... race-bikes

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

wheelthang wrote:The Propel feels like a typical TCR in that arena.

How many hours have you put on a TCR?

As they are not precisely the same geo.

jonloh

by jonloh

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/g ... nel-37498/

nice one by Giant's marketing dept....which bike do you think will win?

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

The Propel would probably win. But then, then Venge is an old man in bike years. No doubt Giant would've been using the Venge as a reference when they started developing the Propel.

There'll be a new Venge next year which is more aero, stiffer, more compliant, etc, etc...
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

There's a Specialized model launch in July, as you would expect.

I'll be there. Will be interesting to see what is released. I'm hoping it's a new Venge.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Will it be called the ReVenge? :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Tinea Pedis wrote:There's a Specialized model launch in July, as you would expect.

I'll be there. Will be interesting to see what is released. I'm hoping it's a new Venge.

SL5 as well?

I can get a very, very good price on a Propel though my LBS, but the brakes really put me off

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Not been told what model, only a release.

"ReVenge" :lol: fantastic :lol: