Gaerne G. Chrono - opinions wanted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

So would you say 45 in the S Works would fit like a 45 in the Gaerne?
I run S Works as they're good for a wider foot, not sure if likewise for these Gaerne?
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I would say so.
I measured inner soles, the difference in 47 size comes to about 1mm, so really no difference, 30.2/30.3cm Gaerne/Spesh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Width the same too?
Sorry for the questions!

1415chris

by 1415chris

Hard to measure it, but Spesh fills wider. In my case I prefer Gearne fit. But I can only refer to the quite old Specialized shoes, mtb s-works with the one dial, and road pro about 3 years old.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Cheers man

Horacio

by Horacio

I have and wear both the new S-Works and the Gaerne. I really like them both. The S-Works are lighter and took a little breaking in before the top of my foot stopped hurting. I like that the S-Works sells the 3 flavors of different footbeds to accommodate a flat foot to a high arch. I even bought a set for my Gaerne, which helped considerably. I feel the Gaerne footbeds are too thin and offer little to no support. One big thing that bothers me the most about the Gaerne shoes is that the Boa dials rattle like crazy while pedaling and drive me up the wall! I do favor their exit system of just pulling up to release the mechanism.
Do anyone else's Gaerne shoes make noise?? Just curious.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Would you be able to comment on the toe box volume between the Sworks and the Chrono? I'm trying to decide between the Sworks, Chrono and Sidi Wire's. I tried on the Sworks and they fit like a slipper, the top feels just snug against the top of my toes which I like, I'm wondering how the Chrono and Wire compare.

Also, did you try on the same Chrono size as the Sworks? I'm a 42 in the Sworks and assume a 42 would be right for the Chrono? For Sidi does the go up a 1/2 size thing still apply?

Thanks!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Horacio wrote:
Do anyone else's Gaerne shoes make noise?? Just curious.

No noise at all. Quiet shoes :D I also prefer Gaernes heel hold (compared to Specs); Wires have a great one too.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

SolidSnake03 wrote:Would you be able to comment on the toe box volume between the Sworks and the Chrono? I'm trying to decide between the Sworks, Chrono and Sidi Wire's. I tried on the Sworks and they fit like a slipper, the top feels just snug against the top of my toes which I like, I'm wondering how the Chrono and Wire compare.

Also, did you try on the same Chrono size as the Sworks? I'm a 42 in the Sworks and assume a 42 would be right for the Chrono? For Sidi does the go up a 1/2 size thing still apply?

Thanks!

No comparo to S-Works here but IMO Chronos start getting wider compared to Wires in size 44 and larger. 43 Chrono and Wire is virtually identical. 44 Chrono is wider in toe box. and 45 and 46 are more like Sidi Mega. I've been in Chronos this entire year: some 30 races, and few thousand miles of riding/racing - superb in every aspect.
www.tiremaniacs.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

So this is where I'm a bit confused on sizing then because I had a pair of Sidi Ergo 3's in a 42 that were too tight in the toes, toes went numb just wearing them around the house. Now Spec 42 is great and Gaerne 42.5 G Mythos is too big as well. So basically, I figure I'm a 42 in Gaerne based on the 42.5 G Mythos having too much space/volume but not sure where that puts the Sidi due to the Ergo fit thing. My best guess is I might be between a 42/42.5 in Sidi Wire but it's tricky and sadly no stores carry em nearby in small enough sizes.

I guess I'm not sure if Sidi Wire's slightly larger fit in the toe is actual width or volume? I have fairly low volume feet but not super narrow or anything. The issue with the 42 Ergo 3's was width not volume...

Horacio

by Horacio

I'll get the answers to your questions tomorrow.
I tried the Sidi Wire and didn't like how stiff the material of the shoe was! Too painful for me. The Chronos were a step in the right direction for me, but the SWorks was the ticket! Another consideration for the Chronos is that the shoe is wide in the heel on the outside. It has some plastic extrusion in the heel that would hit my chain stays on both my Giant TCR Advanced SL and Wilier Cento 1SR. I had to add pedal shims on my Wilier and move the cleat to the inside of the shoe in order to prevent the striking on the Giant.
I wish there was something I can do about the noisy Boas.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Sounds good, thank you very much.

I had the same crank arm issue with the heel of my Gaerne G Mythos Plus's, the molded heelcup is quite large, internally its smaller/toght but very well built/reinforced outside

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Indeed the carbon heel exterior (in Chrono) is a bit wide and occasional I am rubbing against the chain stay. Ergo 2 sizing was a bit off in the Sid lineup IMHO; unlike Genius 5 PRO and Ergo 3 so I would not base anything on it
www.tiremaniacs.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

I haven't heard that before about the Ergo 2's, interesting, were they bigger or small? Kind of curious now about the sizing being a bit off. I think in regards to the Wire I might be a 42.5 then safely, maybe 42 but could be really snug especially with uppers that are quite rigid from what I have heard

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Cannot remember if egro 2 was reported as smaller or larger. BTW, here is wiggle's sizing comparo chart; not sure if it's accurate.
www.tiremaniacs.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com