My 2012 Tarmac SL3 SR-11

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ace0fclub5

by ace0fclub5

Hey guys! I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary with this bike, and I've started looking into upgrading some components here and there to save a little weight. And I've gotten some great ideas reading around on this forum that seem pretty easy to do: Uno stem, swapping to ti bolts on everything, getting a set of FarSport carbon clenchers.
I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys may have on potential upgrades or wheelsets, I'm a pretty light guy, so I may be able to take advantage of some flimsy wheels out there.

As you can see, I've tried to black out the decals on the frame. I got tired of seeing "SPECIALIZED" 9 times all over, so I cut some electrical tape to dull it down some. Not sure how many grams that adds... but it sets me at ease.
I know the steerer tube really needs to be cut, but I'm afraid to because I think I want to swap it out for another fork.
Build:

Frame- 2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 Expert (10r) 54cm
Shifters- Campy SR-11
Crankset- Campy SR-11
Pedals- Look Keo Carbon Blade (CroMo)
Front derailleur- Campy SR-11
Rear derailleur- Campy SR-11
Brakes- Campy SR-11
Cassette- Campy SR11 12-25
Chain- SR11
Handlebars- 3T Ergonova LTD 42cm
Stem- 3T ARX alloy 90mm
Seatpost- Specialized 10r
Saddle- Selle Italia SLC Gel Flow
Wheelset- Mavic 2012 R-Sys (No issues with mine, I love them, they're not very aero though...)
Tires- Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX
Bottle cages- BlackBurn 25g each
Computer Mount- K-Edge

Without the computer and computer mount it is exactly 15lbs (6.8kg)

Thanks!
Last edited by ace0fclub5 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hetchins68

by hetchins68

:thumbup:

you prolly will feel the most with replacing with lighter wheelset. :beerchug:

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Lose the seat post, it's a tank!

deltree

by deltree

tonytourist wrote:Lose the seat post, it's a tank!

Get a Berk combo!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Kmc chain instead?

ace0fclub5

by ace0fclub5

tonytourist wrote:Lose the seat post, it's a tank!

Didn't know exactly how heavy it was. Am I correct in assuming it is the "Specialized Carbon 2003 240g OEM on Allez Comp Road" in the listings?

I've been looking at the KCNC Ti Lite post as a possibility. Prices don't seem too bad online.

Kayrehn wrote:Kmc chain instead?

Debating if I should go for the Ti or chrome version. I like the Ti one, but I'm not sure if it will fit with the rest of the bike...

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Without commenting on your next upgrades, I find that to be a particularly sexy bike.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

@ace I had one wih a Phenom seat and between the two they weighed 560g. Not sure which was heavier, but I'd assume the post weighed 300g. Hopefully yours is lighter. Nice looking rig!

ace0fclub5

by ace0fclub5

tonytourist wrote:@ace I had one wih a Phenom seat and between the two they weighed 560g. Not sure which was heavier, but I'd assume the post weighed 300g. Hopefully yours is lighter. Nice looking rig!

Yikes! Well a new seatpost will do me good then.
Thanks Tony.

ace0fclub5

by ace0fclub5

Update:

So, obviously I've playing with my fit a little. Switched the stem from the 90mm 3T to a 70mm Uno Ultralight, and to a CarbonCycles zero setback post.
After doing a century earlier this month, I came to the conclusion that my shoulders were bothering me too much, and that the bars just felt a little too far for comfort. Figured spending the $20 to try out the Uno Alloy wouldn't kill me. Pleasantly, it made a significant difference in my ride quality. Riding and sprinting in the drops feels so much better now. It does make it slightly harder to hold a perfect line, but I'm starting to get use to it.
Switching to the zero setback post hasn't made much a difference. I already had the seat pretty far forward before, so it feels the same.

Probably would have helped me a little if I had gotten a 52cm frame :noidea: But I'm making it work for now.
I'm 5'7 1/2" Inseam of 32". This frame is a 54cm with 172.5 cranks.
I'd like to do a thorough fitting soon, either Retul or the Specialized Body Geometry, in hopes of getting everything set perfect.

Upgrades made:
Uno 70mm stem: 88g
Chinese Ti Skewers: 39g
Latex Tubes: 95g together
Ti Spindles for Look Blades, bringing total to: 183g
Carbon Cycles Post: 151g
New weight should be about 6500g

I'm planning on having a set of the new wide HongFu 40mm tubulars built up with some light hubs from BHS soon. Should save me another 150g, at least, and give me much better aerodynamics than the R-sys.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

You probably could have squeezed on a 50 with much better results. Good job in working it out and trying to get a good fit rather than beating yourself up in the name of looking cool though. I would definitely work out getting a new frame in the correct size soon though.

TimmS

by TimmS

Keep the wheels! Unless you go for 20mm or 24 mm tubes.
Most of those china 38mm clinchers weight about the same as the r-sys.
And I suppose (I have not ridden both) that the carbon spokes give a nice ride quality.

I would suggest to loose weight on the spacer tower, the saddle and the brakes...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

btompkins0112 wrote:You probably could have squeezed on a 50 with much better results. Good job in working it out and trying to get a good fit rather than beating yourself up in the name of looking cool though. I would definitely work out getting a new frame in the correct size soon though.

I would agree with this. i'm not sure a 50 is the right size, but definitely one size smaller than what you have. the smallish stem makes the bike harder to handle.

ace0fclub5

by ace0fclub5

@btompkins0112 & FIJIGabe

Yeah, I'll probably try to swap frames at some point this year, now that I know for certain I'm in need of a smaller size. The frameset seems to still sell for around $1200 online, which sucks for me because I bought it new for about $1k more :cry: But thats the way it goes. Maybe the LBS I bought it from would be willing to give me credit towards another frame.

Shorter crank arms at some point would probably help my knees, too.

TimmS wrote:Keep the wheels! Unless you go for 20mm or 24 mm tubes.
Most of those china 38mm clinchers weight about the same as the r-sys.

I plan on keeping the Rsys for use most days. I just need something more aero to swap in on fast days, plus I'd like to start racing this year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The LBS should help you out......did they not fit you for the frame in the first place? They should be ashamed of themselves if they did!