Carbon spokes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

willf03

by willf03

Anyone know where to find carbon spokes?? -will

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tobias

by tobias

why? :?: :?: :roll:
nothing.

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

willf03 wrote:Anyone know where to find carbon spokes?? -will

AFAIK there aren't any available.

A long time ago (I think a decade) a US company made Carbon spokes, but they dissapperared shortly after because they weren't very durable (delaminations, snapping, ...).

Anyway, why would you want Carbon spokes? :|
Their advantages can't show to on a conventional spoke-nipple-rim connection.
Image Image

bobalou

by bobalou

willf03 wrote:Anyone know where to find carbon spokes?? -will

Topolino makes a carbon/kevlar spoke.. but it will only work with their wheels because of the unusual design. I've never heard any feedback on these wheels so have no idea if they're any good or if it's hype, etc.

http://www.topolinotech.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Topolinos are junk. They are not that light, I've weighed a set at 1410g, plus thier aerdynamics are horrible, a true wind beater. Very stiff wheel, but not too durable, and extremley costly to repair.

Just my 2 cents.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Never tried them but, sheesh they cost alot !

Cyco

by Cyco

The ones out a few years ago were light, (lghter than Ti) but not very aero (ellipitical, but more drag than a 2mm PG).

The other problem was the brittleness. They were fine while riding, but to build they were a pain in the neck. If you were a bit ham-fisted you could break them building a radial wheel, but with care you could get them in a 3x pattern befor the crappy thread stripped :wink:
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

tobias

by tobias

...i asked "why" because they don´t make any sense.
the common used "carbon", which means composite fibers have
very specific material characteristics. used as a mesh (like used for frames, forks,
trispokes...) they are able to cover bidirectional forces
much better than steel or al. but the usage on small dia with torsion
or pressure is againt its characteristics - that´s why you couldn´t buy them... :)
if you think of additional covering to improve aerodynamics, there
are a lot of clip-ons...but the´re not light...
cheers

tobias.
nothing.

willf03

by willf03

Sorry- I was thinking of the kevlar spokes like those on ADA's. But anyway, it was a novel idea, but not realistic.

tobias

by tobias

willf03 wrote:Sorry- I was thinking of the kevlar spokes like those on ADA's. But anyway, it was a novel idea, but not realistic.

ok, but that´s a completely different case. the ada/or lightweight spokes
are aramid-spokes which are laminated into the rim.
this combination is quiet stiff, because its one UNIT, not like the common spoke/rim-system containing of different parts mechanically joined.

if you try to go different ways in using fibers, there are many possible advantages, but a lot of the actual products are just technical copys of other materials (al) using carbon for the looks :roll:
nothing.

PSTOST

by PSTOST

hhmm - I don't agree with you Tobias - On spokes it is only Pull forces and this is where carbon fiber is best - The problem is to get something attached to the carbon - like thread for a nippel.
This is not a problem with the lightweights and ADA's... as you say the spokes are laminated into the rim.
The aramid spoke on the ada has a carbon fiber spoke inside ! I think the aramid is only for protection - but not sure...
I don't know the details of the Lightweight spoke - but it looks like they are a combination of carbon and aramid fiber...
Aramid fiber is not stiff compared to carbon fiber

Delpi

by Delpi

FIR Ronda:
Creation of high cycling technology, entirely made in carbon (rim,spokes,hubs, flanges) for a lightness and a structural rigidity unprecedented and without comparisons. An exclusive wheel in everything, also in the particular conformation of the bushes that subsequently exalt the extraordinary performances of it.

NB I have never tested them.
Attachments
RONDACORSAMIN.jpg
RONDACORSAMIN.jpg (3.66 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
Ronda Mozzo.jpg
Ronda Mozzo.jpg (4.29 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
rondacorsa.jpg
Ronda MTB.jpg
Ciao Zauri

Delpi

by Delpi

SOURCE: FIR WEB SITE
Creation of high cycling technology, entirely made in carbon (rim,spokes,hubs, flanges) for a lightness and a structural rigidity unprecedented and without comparisons. An exclusive wheel in everything, also in the particular conformation of the bushes that subsequently exalt the extraordinary performances of it.
Ciao Zauri

PSTOST

by PSTOST

The Fir ronda spokes is a standard spoke covered with carbon... no gain in performance from this spoke ! (only aerodynamik) actually it will just ad a little weight....

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Delpi wrote:NB I have never tested them.

AFAIK they never hit the market so far and after beeing announced for almost 2 years they might turn out to be vaporware.

The spokes on the pictures look like steel spokes with carbon-wrappings in the middle section and when you look at the picture of the road version very closely it seems as if they aren't tensioned (they're bowing):

Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com