Challange; to lighten my bike 1kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Hi!

I have this old cannondale. What parts would be the cheapest to replace to save 1kg?

Cannondale CAAD 7 R700 frame
Cannondale Fire stem
Shimano WH-R550 wheels
Shimano 105 gear system
FSA Gossamer crankset

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Wheels - those Shimanos are heavy, 1884 g, replacing them with something like Fulcrum Racing Zero will save 450g.
Next are tyres and tubes, you can often save well over 100g and potentially up to 300g b changing to lighter tyres and tubes without sacrificing reliability and improving ride quality substantially.
Often pedals, saddle, bars and stem are easily replaced and can save many grams, cables and bar tape can save 50-100g, and seat post clamps, can be replaced with lighter versions cheaply. Skewers are another item that can save 50g or so changing to KCNC or other light skewers.
105 groupset is pretty heavy at over 2600g, so by finding a good second hand SRAM Red or Dura Ace Groupset you can drop 500-600g
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Wow, didnt know the wheels where that heavy, they feel like cheese aswell..
Im thinking of 38mm China carbon wheels. Tubular. Does tubular save anything compared to clincher?
I'm thinking China carbon seatpost and cut it as short as safely possible.

I want a shorter and a stem with less angle, is there any relativly cheap stem that doesn't cost too much?

My budget on this lightening would be around 700-1000$, so i cant really go all out on this! I cant even afford the wheels you are thinking of.. They retail at more than i paid for this whole bike years ago..

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Tubular will save about 100g-200g (per wheelset) compared to clincher in carbon. There is often some additional savings in a tubular tire vs. tire + tube.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Skorp wrote:I want a shorter and a stem with less angle, is there any relativly cheap stem that doesn't cost too much?

Search for this type of stem on ebay and you will be plesently surprised at price and weight

UNO ASA105 Ultra Light Weight Alloy Stem

lechat

by lechat

Not sure where you're located but $1k + eBay + a little patience = a lot of weight loss. As said, wheels are the main culprit, closely followed by the fork and crank.
Last edited by lechat on Thu May 30, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TOflat

by TOflat

New bike. Not totally worth the investment unless it's a set of wheels that are transferable from bike to bike.

lechat

by lechat

[url][URL=http://s966.photobucket.com/user/lechat67/media/DSCF4026.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url
13.6lbs as shown (13.5 at present). Pretty much an eBay budget build.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

May be obvious, but invest a bit of time trolling this very site for ideas - there are a lot of smart people who have done some cool things here.

Don't rush into anything - think about what you want to do and why. Weigh the cost / benefit (gram saved per dollar) of each change you make. And above all, be *patient*. Craft a vision and execute - see Prendrefeu's bike for an example of how to do it well...

Oh, and have fun doing it!

dmp

by dmp

You can get a bargain priced but high quality wheel set from Boyd Cycling for about $600 that weighs about 1500g- not super light, but a lot lighter than what you have. As others said, used or last year's models of components on ebay can save a lot, as can buying from the UK mail order houses (probikekit, ribble).

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

dereksmalls wrote:
Search for this type of stem on ebay and you will be plesently surprised at price and weight

95g for my size stem, price 35dollars :beerchug:

lechat wrote:Not sure where you're located but $1k + eBay + a little patience = a lot of weight loss. As said, wheels are the main culprit, closely followed by the fork and crank.

Are you talking about used parts?
I live in norway.Buying from private people on ebay is a bit of a hassle, altough if the price and part is right.. then it's no problem

TOflat wrote:New bike. Not totally worth the investment unless it's a set of wheels that are transferable from bike to bike.

I think i can get my bike spec vise better than a bike for my budget on 700-1000$..

lechat wrote:[url][URL=http://s966.photobucket.com/user/lechat67/media/DSCF4026.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url
13.6lbs as shown (13.5 at present). Pretty much an eBay budget build.

Woah! is that the same frame?
Do you know what fork, crankset and wheels that's on there?
I see it have the same stem that dereksmalls was talking about :)

mellowJohnny wrote:May be obvious, but invest a bit of time trolling this very site for ideas - there are a lot of smart people who have done some cool things here.

Don't rush into anything - think about what you want to do and why. Weigh the cost / benefit (gram saved per dollar) of each change you make. And above all, be *patient*. Craft a vision and execute - see Prendrefeu's bike for an example of how to do it well...

Oh, and have fun doing it!

I do want to attack my 105 derailleurs to see if i can save, say 70-100grams..
Like the 64grams duraace, only a cheaper version :D

by 113245

dereksmalls wrote:

damn, I'm sad they only do +- 5deg... wish they had it in -17deg :(

Imaking20

by Imaking20

lechat

by lechat

Basically the same frame, but SI ( bb30 bottom bracket). The wheels are Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Blackset Race. 1431gms, $300 shipped. Fork is generic asian 321gms cut, $100 shipped. Crank is a Specialized S-works w/Sram rings. Used from eBay, $200, 578gms w/bb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

Does the modification have to be cosmetic as well (make the bike look nice) or you just want to loose weight? You have to be clear because if its just weight you wish to lighten vs make things beautiful then it will be easy. If its a combination of beauty and weight weenie you seek....o_O