Cannondale F29 Carbon 1 2013

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I got this bike a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to ride it because the CX season was still on. Today the ground was frozen with a bit of snow on top, couldn't be better.

Winter photo (stock bike, without tubes, with bottle cage):

Spring photo (ESI grips, smaller rotors, slammed stem):

Summer photo (Smud saddle, Rocket Rons)

The bike is a great fit. The frame is size large, I am 180 cm tall, with 87 cm inseam. 100 mm -15 degree stem.

Current weight is 9.1 kg (20 lbs).
Last edited by the_marsbar on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 am, edited 9 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Missed this posting - how do you like the Reynolds wheels? what is the weight of the wheelset?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I was in a hurry to get out and ride my bike, so I "forgot" to put them on the scale before converting them to tubeless. They are supposed to be around 1550 g. That's not very light. However, the rims are much wider than most others (21 mm internal, ENVEs are supposed to be 18 mm), which should be a good thing (I think it should support the tires better, and help to avoid rolling the tire off the rim when riding with low air pressure).

I really like them so far, I've done quite a few races on the bike. The wheels feel much stiffer than the ZTR Alpine/240s/CX-Ray wheelset that I had on my 26" hardtail. They weigh more, but they don't feel heavy when riding. It's my first 29er, and I haven't ridden other 29er wheelsets, so I can't really compare them to a lightweight aluminium wheelset for instance. But I would guess there's a pretty big difference in stiffness :)

Since the original post I switched to smaller brake discs and slammed the stem. It weighs around 9.3 kg. I've ordered a Smud saddle, hopefully that will drop about 100 g over the current (which I by the way don't like very much).

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Wicked ride! I'm same height, wasn't sure of M or L, I've got long legs, shorter torso, how's the fit?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The fit is great for me. I feel fine with the 120 mm stem, but I'd like to try a 100 mm. My inseam is 87 cm, I don't really know if that means long legs or not :)

No matter what, I'm quite sure the medium would be too small for me. If you get a chance, it'd be great to try one.

I'll upload some better pictures when I receive the saddle :)

N.T

by N.T

I am same height as you are and my inseam is really close to you.
I had similar problem as you did. I had a 2012 scalpel 26" (similar sizing)
last year had size medium but that frame was just too short. I am know riding a size
large and that feels much better. So I would say size L with 90-100 stem depending
on arm lenght and preference.
Fuelled by kofein

kgt

by kgt

My favorite 29er hartdail. In this paintjob.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

At first I was actually trying to find it in the team colors, but when I saw it in the shop, I really liked this one :)

muntos

by muntos

Hi the_marsbar, I just ordered an F29 Carbon 1 but now I'm a little worried about the Raynolds wheelset, I have read a couple of bad reviews regarding the wheelset (hub, spokes...):
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 57crx.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1.Did you encountered until now any problems with these wheels?

2.Also, how did you converted to tubeless? The rims had already applied rim tape on them?What valve did you used ?
I have now a set of Stan's yellow tape and 44mm MTB valve hope the valve is compatible

3. What was the weight out of box for the L size ? 9.3kg?

Hope I don't annoy you with these questions but I quite excited about the bike and hope I made the right choice.
Thanks,
Alex

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

1) I have had minor problems with the rear wheel. The spokes got quite loose after some time, otherwise no problems so far. I haven't really been able to stress-test the hubs yet, as I haven't been doing a lot of riding in the mud. However, I hope they hold up! I have seen quite a few positive reviews of the wheelset as well.

2) The rims came with rim tape installed, and tubeless valves in a box.

3) Out of the box would be around 9.0 kgs without pedals I think.

muntos

by muntos

Thanks for your answers, I realy wish you the best rides possible :)!
Returning with impressions next week when hopefully it will arrive :)

muntos

by muntos

Finally arrived :)!
I had some doubts regarding the color scheme but it is gorgeous :) !
Out of box 9.17 kg (size L, and without the Lefty plate, forgot about it when I weight it :) )
In a near future I would like to drop the weight below 9kg, but I have no idea from there to cut... any advices ?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Congratulations with the bike. The color combination looks much better IRL than in pics :)

Go tubeless, that will save a chunk of weight right out of the box. The saddle is also quite heavy, and I don't like it. I'm still waiting for the saddle I ordered from smud-carbon.eu. Otherwise, there are grams to be saved if you go 1 x 10 or 1 x 11.

The cassette is also not the lightest (PG-1070 at around 350g, vs XG-1099 at 208g).

muntos

by muntos

Thank you, indeed live is looking great :)!
I will go tubeless even if I didn't had a good experience in the past but discussing on other forums it seems that the general opinion is that going tubeless will not save so much weight (at least on 26er), sealant + valve ~= inner tube weight...?
The Tundra 2 Kium saddle weights 190gr according to bike24.com, I thought this is a good weight, how much could be saved here ? What saddle did you ordered ?
1x10 or 1x11 indeed could save some weight, but beside the financial considerations, I don't know if I'm comfortable having only 10 or 11 gears, don't know if they are enough for all situations.
The cassette seems a good place to shave some weight, but how durable is XG-1099? I wouldn't like to change it very often because is melts like butter... :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com