Soul wheels S2.0 (pics)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

There is not much of a cross section for cross wind issues and the spokes don't add enough for me to notice.

A few things I have noticed about these wheels over the time I have had them. Spring broke that holds pawls in the freehub broke as with a previous poster. Sean sent out a new one right away and came to me quickly.

Recently there is one non drive side spoke on my rear wheel which came completely loose. Somehow the rest of my wheel was still true enough to ride home. :/ I did not realize what the issue was for a few rides since it was a creaking sound, which we all know can come from almost anywhere except where you think it actually is. All is well now,but a bit unsettling that one spoke came completely loose mid ride. I admit the roads here are a bit rough but they did not feel THAT rough.

Overall I am very happy with these wheels and the weight (for which I do not have a picture! This will be rectified). Pair them with some latex tubes and some nice tires and you have yourself an amazing feeling ride.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

loco2546

by loco2546

this wheelset fits my budget.. question for u all is the S2.O free hub body loud...?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

New website being worked on right now: beta.bikesoul.com. New S2.0s with specs are up.

ichobi

by ichobi

Anyone has long term impression on the carbon tubular/ clincher sets? the C5.0 / 6.0 for example. They look solid and wow, the tubulars weight like feather!

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

hello mr. soul. is there any chance of a new s2.0 or 3.0 for heavy riders? im very interested in your wheels but the 210 pound weight limit wouldnt do it for me :up:

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

loco2546 wrote:this wheelset fits my budget.. question for u all is the S2.O free hub body loud...?

The V3 Prodigy hubs are maybe a little louder than Shimanos but much, much quieter than Campags.

benzooki

by benzooki

Does anybody know what size bearings are in these wheels?
All I can find is "Japanese sealed bearings". :noidea:

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Not checked if the front is the same, but my 3.0SLS (also Prodigy V3 hub) have 6802RS bearings.

matty

by matty

Seeing as wide is the new thing has anyone purchased these yet?

http://2013.bikesoul.com/s2/

At 1295g they seem to be lighter than Pacenti SL23 builds.....

robertg

by robertg

I purchased a set of the new 23mm wide 2.0 a few weeks ago, and they are great wheels. Weight wise, they came in at 1296g, so they are spot on weight wise. The bearings feel great and they were true out of the box. I wish the brake track was a little wider, but they are well made and no issues thus far after a few hundred miles.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

hmm... looking at the rim profile it looks a little like the Velocity A23... how is it similar and how is it different?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

robertg

by robertg

The 2.0 uses a deeper rim by a few mm, and the bed is shaped differently. But they are similar.

jemima

by jemima

robertg wrote:I purchased a set of the new 23mm wide 2.0 a few weeks ago, and they are great wheels. Weight wise, they came in at 1296g, so they are spot on weight wise. The bearings feel great and they were true out of the box. I wish the brake track was a little wider, but they are well made and no issues thus far after a few hundred miles.

Very happy with mine also. Going from 1900gm to these; a huge difference in feel.

I weigh 60kg, so these are my all-day wheels.
Curve Grovel ti.

Milese

by Milese

Hi,

I've been hunting down a creak on my bike and have narrowed it down to coming from the rear wheel.

It turns out that there is a bit of play in the bearings. With the wheel off I cant notice an play, but on the bike there is definate movment. I took the rear hub apart, cleaned and regreased it all. I cant notice any plan in the individual bearings.

Put it back together and it seems like there is more play! Is there any knack to putting it back together, in particularly tightening the end caps on the axle?

The noise is very much coming from the spokes, but I suppose thats to be expected. You can generate the noise by putting a bit of pressure on the crank by hand. Does that sound like it could be due to the bearings? Are the bearings replacable?

The wheels are Soul 2.0s, from about 2010, with maybe 3 to 5,000 miles on them, good bike only, so very minor wet use.

http://2013.bikesoul.com/s2/

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertg

by robertg

**deleted**
Last edited by robertg on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.