What is the best budget hubset for xc?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

Hi there,

I've been using a Circus Monkey rear disc hubset in my mtb for a while now. I already installed decent stainless steel bearings when I bought the hubs, but the rear one is still creacking every time I take it for a cleaning sesion with the high pressure water gun... I used american classic hubs previously and never had any issue, and I have no issues with my current hubset in my road bike from bikehubstore.com

My intetion is to purchase a rear mtb disc hub from bikehubstore.com, because they come with enduro bearings and price seems quite fair. BUT, I was wondering if I can get the same hub straight from an ebay seller, so I don't have to pay customs or overseas shipping. Any tips? How can I find this hub in ebay or in a similar source like dealextrem or aliexpress? thanks in advance.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

I recently went through the same process and settled on the novatec 4 in 1s. I run 9mm qr in 1 bike and 20mm ta on another and because of this I used to build all my mtb wheels around hope pro 2 hubs. The novatec hubs are similar weights (slightly heavier), similar building dimensions but less than half the price

Liggero

by Liggero

Any experiences with the Novatec 711 & 712 SB? they seem light and well priced, around 100€ shipped and 408g the pair.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

mentok wrote:I recently went through the same process and settled on the novatec 4 in 1s. I run 9mm qr in 1 bike and 20mm ta on another and because of this I used to build all my mtb wheels around hope pro 2 hubs. The novatec hubs are similar weights (slightly heavier), similar building dimensions but less than half the price

those are really good priced hubs. And perhaps more reliable than the 711 & 712, but heavier. The 41s weight is 710g the hubset, that is 300g more, but price is half, around 50e shipped.

gonna check if these would fit replacing the circus monkey, in expocalc, as the spokes are fairly new. I will just have to replace a few spoke nipples.
Happy Trails !!!