XX1 rings alternative - it works!!

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Hi guys,

So it's finally time to post something interesting:)

Everyone is looking for XX1 rings but they are not cheap nor compatible with most cranks. So from last few months we have been working how to solve that. What we have came up with is lighter, cheaper and works same as XX1. Pick 3.

http://absoluteblack.cc/sram-spiderless.html

The ultimate solution for Sram cranks that feature a removable spider. Spiderless chainrings allow for flawless single speed or Sram 1x9/10/11 drivetrain setup. These chainrings save more than 150g over regular spider and chainring combo. Reliable, extremely light, stiff and clean looking on the bike.

Chainring tooths optimized for great chain retention while riding in rough terrain!. In almost all cases chainkeeper is not necessary. Tooth profile is directional, that means it will keep your chain on, even when back pedaling on descent.

weights:
Absolute Black: 28t -44g, 30t -48g, 32t -51g, 34t -67g
this is basically the lightest solution on the Market, which acts and works without a need for chainkeeper.

For geeks:
Please note that thick-thin profile is not necessary to hold chain like XX1. We have discovered that simple principle with new tooth profile which allows to bring the costs of manufacturing down and keep the chain like on XX1.
Our tester - XC Slilver World Champion, multiple national Champion and CX National Champion Marek Konwa has been using it for 4 months now and they perform great!

The principle of that is simple. We have achieved incredible tight profile of tooth to mesh with a chain. It goes in very smoothly, but when meshed with chain it holds it extremely good. In addition tooth profile is directional! That means it prevents the chain from coming off when back pedal or not pedaling at all while descending.

We are also proud that R2 bike will be selling them along with our website
http://r2-bike.com/navi.php?suchausdruc ... 73572e3fc5

Please note - photos does not show the newest tooth profile yet. Our Shimoano XX1 rendering is much more relevant in that matter.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CGT

by CGT

Hi Marcin!

I'm interested to know how the ISO discs are coming along. Are they readily available now? Cheers!

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

hey,
since they are expensive to produce and time consuming to put together i had to focus on chainrings now.
I have some ISO spiders just made so if you had an order just let me know on the email so i will dig it out and will make them for you.

Super_fast

by Super_fast

Would you consider making something like a 42 for cyclocross?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

in next few months i will do 110BCD 38T and maybe 40T as well. It sounds like this is the most popular size for CX. If that goes well then i can make virtually any size.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

No one has done a chainring for BB30 yet. WHY NOT?! Come on guys :)

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

mine works with most BB30 setups. But there are some setups that does not work. So most manufacturers say it will not. Same as me.

I got people saying it works with theirs but i also got 2 where chainline was bad. This is very hard to predict from some reason. Besides BB30 seems not to be soo common yet as not many people ask for it in general. Which is a bit surprising but true. So no demand= no product.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Any plans to do a Hollowgram compatible direct mount ring?

emike

by emike

102BCD 36t and take my money!

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

yes hollowgram will be done as well. I have two of those cranks so i need to make them anyway:) for my other bikes haha.

uff 102BCD. That is the worst size they could make. I love the look of the cranks but hate that BCD. I will make them at some point but not on top of the list at the moment.

rmerka

by rmerka

Your rings look really good! Last week the RotorUSA told me that they would be releasing a Q-Ring compatible with the XX1 in about 5 weeks. I'll be real curious to see if they stick to the wide/narrow as you have. IMO this is one of the big benefits of this group. Good job, it's great to have new options starting to show up. Thanks.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

so just to let you know how good they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=FQ19arAErsY
Rider - Marek Konwa. Silver MTB World Champion, National MTB Champion, CX National Champion and so on. It's his personal video, so not moded by me etc.
you can find it also on his Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/marekkonwa
and a jump on the bike as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jLE4DtnB6A
If it's good enough for him it will be good for everyone

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

What's the timeline on the hollowgram direct mount rings?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

around 2 months. Should be less than that actually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

plans for a 110bcd 5 bolt 33/34/35/36?