Wheel Truing Stand

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvincere

by dvincere

Last night I built my first wheel -- with extensive help from an extremely experienced wheelbuilder and a teammate of mine.

If I were interested in buying my own truing stand, what do you guys recommend as the best option for the money?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seve88

by seve88

I've used a Tacx T3175 for years and you can build a wheel as good as anything on it.

eric

by eric

Even a crap stand will work, but if you're going to do much work on wheels it's worth buying a good stand like the Park. It's a once in a lifetime purchase. The Park stand is a joy to use, BUT you do need to use a wheel dish tool as the center on the Park stand will not stay in true, or will be off on front vs rear wheels.

BTW, buy the park dish tool that's blue and does not fold. The black folding one sucks- you can't use it while the wheel is in the stand, or with a tire on the wheel. And it doesn't even fold readily- you have to unbolt two halves.

I put my Park stand on a scrap piece of steel for a base. I have a place for it in the cabinet but I use it so often that it's on my workbench most of the time.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Park ts2/2.2. Nothing else

seve88

by seve88

eric wrote:Even a crap stand will work, but if you're going to do much work on wheels it's worth buying a good stand like the Park. It's a once in a lifetime purchase. The Park stand is a joy to use, BUT you do need to use a wheel dish tool as the center on the Park stand will not stay in true, or will be off on front vs rear wheels.

BTW, buy the park dish tool that's blue and does not fold. The black folding one sucks- you can't use it while the wheel is in the stand, or with a tire on the wheel. And it doesn't even fold readily- you have to unbolt two halves.

I put my Park stand on a scrap piece of steel for a base. I have a place for it in the cabinet but I use it so often that it's on my workbench most of the time.

Fully agree about the blue dishing gauge. I used the money I saved on the jig to buy the blue gauge. Used a different brand folding one at first and it wasn't very good.

bobonker

by bobonker

I have the black dishing gauge and agree that it sucks (but is better than nothing). I wish I'd spent the extra $10 and got the blue one!

Bob

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I've built a lot of wheels (many hundreds) with this cheap thing. Feedback Sports Truing Stand TRS-80R... $60. I prefer it to the Park 2.2 for some reason. I slap a cheap pair of magnetic dial gauges to the base when I want to check the runout precisely. You need to dishing tool also, but that is true of any stand.

formerly rruff...

gummee

by gummee

I've built more than a few wheels in a cheap, ancient Minoura folding stand. ...that's not even straight! Good dishing tool and wrench away.

I have a buddy's TS-2 in my garage right now. Its MUCH nicer to work with, but not necessary.

My little brother has a PBS house-brand truing stand that works acceptably. IOW it holds both front AND rear wheels!

If you're doing lots of 29er wheels, none of the above stands are going to go big enough and you'll need something like the Park TS-2.2.

Every once in a blue moon, someone will sell their TS-2. Chances are it'll still work very well AND you'll get it for less than a new one.

HTH

M

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I have used the Feedback stand mentioned above which I bought for about $50 on sale. It is workable and the one sided design is nice for disc wheels (access to the rotors for truing). You can also true wheels with the tires mounted on them. I did fashion a spacer to use QR skewers as the stand only has one "dropout" thickness on it so I glued up a washer stack to put on the other end of the skewer when clamping.

You don't need dial indicators to get the lateral true less than +-1 mm or less but they may make it easier and faster.

thprice

by thprice

I'm very happy with a 'low end' truing stand: Exact wheel truing stand T3175.
A feature I like of the Tacx is you can keep it stored away when not using it, then take it out and clamp to a bench when needed.
Depending on you budget, the range goes from DIY through to the P&K Lie which is a work of art in its own right

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Even the P&K Lie stand is not perfect. Can't really true a wheel with a tire on it. I refer to it as the "wheelbuilding stand" as opposed to a general truing stand...

kavitator

by kavitator

park tool TS2

it works also can be used with inflated tires on (road, MTB 29er...) to get correct tension under pressure

dvincere

by dvincere

Great recommendations guys. Thanks for all the advice. Definitely like the idea of a cheaper stand that is more than good enough and a dishing tool!

ergott

by ergott

kulivontot wrote:Park ts2/2.2. Nothing else

If you are going to be a truing stand snob at least know what's out there.

No the OP doesn't need anything special. The most basic stand and a dish gauge is all that's needed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Whoa! Now THAT's a truing stand. I've never seen even a picture of that thing. Thanks for posting.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ