Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Does anyone make a tubular rim that is 24-25mm wide at the glueing surface/brake track?

I found the rims listed at the link below, but haven't heard back from the company that is selling them.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/85718 ... _wide.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

I emailed DengFu about the 56 CC 27mm wide and was told that the complete wheelset costs $460 + shipping. That cannot be correct. HongFu is listing just the rim set for $460. I have responded back hoping for some clarification. I'll update this post once I get it.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

tharmor wrote:I emailed DengFu about the 56 CC 27mm wide and was told that the complete wheelset costs $460 + shipping. That cannot be correct. HongFu is listing just the rim set for $460. I have responded back hoping for some clarification. I'll update this post once I get it.

I'm wondering if they offer different hub and spoke options like FarSports does. I'm not sure I want "CN Spokes" or whatever weird hub DengFu decides to use.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Interesting. Any profile cut away views?

andrewspearns

by andrewspearns

I've been emailing them looking for info and they sent me this PDF. I'm waiting for some photos now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hquxg2wsx0uil ... ing%20.pdf

tharmor

by tharmor

DengFu has them listed on their website as a wheel build. Built with Novatec hubs and CN aero spokes. Unfortunately, there isn't a price listed for the build, and all of my attempts to get a price from them have been unanswered. This is the built up wheel straight from their website ::

http://dengfubikes.com/index.php?page=s ... 1&Itemid=1

andrewspearns

by andrewspearns

They quoted me at $460, I was emailed by Martina. Plus shipping on top of that as well. Emails have been taking 24-48 hours to get a response. Will post up as I get more info.

tharmor

by tharmor

andrewspearns wrote:They quoted me at $460, I was emailed by Martina. Plus shipping on top of that as well. Emails have been taking 24-48 hours to get a response. Will post up as I get more info.

But was your inquiry for just the rims or for the complete wheelset?

andrewspearns

by andrewspearns

My inquiry was for the wheel set. I thought it was a little low, I should check back with them to be sure nothing was lost in translation

tharmor

by tharmor

andrewspearns wrote:My inquiry was for the wheel set. I thought it was a little low, I should check back with them to be sure nothing was lost in translation

I was quoted the same, but it seems unlikely that is can be possible. With hubs and spokes/nipples, I'm guessing it's going to be closer to the $650 mark.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Aren't Dengfu wheels typically pretty heavy? I think I read the CN spokes are like 5.7g/spoke as opposed to 4.3 for CX-Rays. Added to that is the heavier novatec hubs, and possibly heavier rims as well. How many extra grams does a non-wind-tunnel-tested wide rim justify?

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

kulivontot wrote:Aren't Dengfu wheels typically pretty heavy? I think I read the CN spokes are like 5.7g/spoke as opposed to 4.3 for CX-Rays. Added to that is the heavier novatec hubs, and possibly heavier rims as well. How many extra grams does a non-wind-tunnel-tested wide rim justify?

CN(Mac) Aero424 spokes are comparable to CX-Rays in size and weight. According to CN website, Aero424 is 2.0-2.2x0.9-2.0mm and weighs 4.1g(272mm) each. There's even lighter Aero360, claimed 3.6g(260mm).

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Which does dengfu build with?

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

kulivontot wrote:Which does dengfu build with?

Dunno, just specify your preferred spokes when ordering I suppose?

tharmor

by tharmor

I was introduced to ICAN on the velobuild forums. And as it turns out, they too will be selling the 56mm (27mm wide) carbon clinchers. After a few correspondences with Peggy from ICAN, the cost has been confirmed at $430 +shipping for the complete wheelset.

The hub options are Powerway or Novatec

The spokes are CN Aero

External nipples for 20h front and 24h rear.

Here are the pictures that she sent me ::

Currently awaiting her response on lead times for this wheelset.

**edit**

The UD 56mm clincher is in stock, ready to ship. 2-3days processing time she said.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com