Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deermatt

by deermatt

theyre still all out of stock :(

tharmor

by tharmor

30-45 days out still for the 86mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

ferrarista wrote:I contacted Nancy about the 40mm clinchers and she told me that once she receives the money it takes from 30-45 days. She said that there is a lot of demand that's why it takes so long.

She told me it was 375$ + 75$ ship to Canada + 4% for the paypal.

I wouldn't believe them. I don't think they even have the wheels tested and completely developed yet. They will tell you anything to get your money, then 6 months later you might be lucky to see them.

Until they can show actual wheels in photos on their website, or to potential customers, they aren't even made and in production.

The last story they told 4-6 weeks ago was that they are still being developed and not in production/available yet.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

williamh2777 wrote:
FPSDavid wrote:
williamh2777 wrote:Been reading this thread a while so thought I'd jump in. Have just ordered a pair of 56T's from Hongfu, dealt with Vivian Zhang and paid $369.20 with delivery to the UK. The only rims that weren't available were the 40Ts. The weight was quoted as 427g for the 56T, 560g for 56C and 480g for the 40C.

Wow, $369.20 for two rims?! I thought we were talking ~$700 for a built-up wheelset here (are we still?).

Hongfu weren't doing wheelsets just the rims.

Yeah, I get that. Just have no clue what spokes + hubs + building cost. Are we talking $350+ for that?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

hansonator69 wrote:for those wondering if velobuild will sell the wide rims as a complete wheelset, they just announced that they will no longer be a seller of bicycle parts and frames.

As I posted in that thread over there regarding the future of Velobuild, not surprising. The Chinese are unscrupulous and will tell you anything to get your money. That is the nature of the beast.

I personally for months have been going in circles with HongFu regarding the Toroidal 40C/T versions of that new rim. They haven't produce anything, not even a photo. So I know nothing is going to happen anytime soon. Until they get enough people to pay them money to build the molds and test it, won't be a rim produced anytime soon likely.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Personally I don't like lopping all people of one country into an adjective because of one particular person (or one company's) behaviour.
FarSports has been entirely 'scrupulous', reliable, trustworthy, and has an excellent track record of customer service - yet they are Chinese, too. So they too are unscrupulous?

HongFu ≠ FarSports ≠ DengFu ≠ other companies and so on. Despite what people try to assume, that they are all the same company, they are not. That's like saying Cannondale and Specialized are the same company because they're both in the US. For many people China is still a mystery and foreign to deal with, but that should not justify broad strokes of judgement. The same can be said of any country or persons. Deda and Pinarello are unscrupulous in their weight claims, yet are we now saying all Italians are unscrupulous?
Some people in the US are racist bastards and will do terrible things to people who do not look like them, but does that apply to all persons in the US?

Come on.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

So velobuild is dead? You can no longer purchase items direct and the forums are now completely unmoderated.

deermatt

by deermatt

kulivontot wrote:So velobuild is dead? You can no longer purchase items direct and the forums are now completely unmoderated.

they were must a middle man anyway. Contact them yourself, they're nice, you'd get the same price, and can ask them questions directly.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

So, say we didn't want to wait months on end for the HongFu 56mm firecrest copies, what's the next best option (that doesn't take forever to receive?)?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

FPSDavid wrote:So, say we didn't want to wait months on end for the HongFu 56mm firecrest copies, what's the next best option (that doesn't take forever to receive?)?

I think the next best option are the farsports 50mm X 25mm or the 24mm.

██

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

ferrarista wrote:
FPSDavid wrote:So, say we didn't want to wait months on end for the HongFu 56mm firecrest copies, what's the next best option (that doesn't take forever to receive?)?

The FSC50-CJ-25 (Cyclocross wheels) the ones you're talking about? http://www.wheelsfar.com/cyclecross-50x25mm-clincher-wheels1430g-30g-p-296:a98607f067285d3bc4893877421bf965.html These?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

FPSDavid wrote:
ferrarista wrote:

The FSC50-CJ-25 (Cyclocross wheels) the ones you're talking about? http://www.wheelsfar.com/cyclecross-50x25mm-clincher-wheels1430g-30g-p-296:a98607f067285d3bc4893877421bf965.html These?

I guess they are the same as the ones in your link

http://farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-131.html

you can also get just the rims and build with your own hubs.

http://farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-128.html
██

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

prendrefeu wrote:Personally I don't like lopping all people of one country into an adjective because of one particular person (or one company's) behaviour.
FarSports has been entirely 'scrupulous', reliable, trustworthy, and has an excellent track record of customer service - yet they are Chinese, too. So they too are unscrupulous?

HongFu ≠ FarSports ≠ DengFu ≠ other companies and so on. Despite what people try to assume, that they are all the same company, they are not. That's like saying Cannondale and Specialized are the same company because they're both in the US. For many people China is still a mystery and foreign to deal with, but that should not justify broad strokes of judgement. The same can be said of any country or persons. Deda and Pinarello are unscrupulous in their weight claims, yet are we now saying all Italians are unscrupulous?
Some people in the US are racist bastards and will do terrible things to people who do not look like them, but does that apply to all persons in the US?

Come on.

Not to argue and belabor a point, but the main reason they have stopped selling Chinese carbon parts is due to the fact they are screwing up so many orders and the complete hassles it has caused, and it isn't worth the time/effort on their part anymore.

Having had enough dealings over the past 6yrs with Chinese manufacturers, it isn't a stereotype when it is a real problem/issue with these companies.

Just because a few people give a good review, doesn't mean they don't have a lot of problems and are sketchy in most other countries opinions on how they do business.

FPSDavid

by FPSDavid

Can anyone speak to the hub choices from FarSports? Default option is Edhub (+$40), then theres Bitex (+$0), Novatec (+$25), Yuhub (+$40), Chosen (+$25).

See the dropdown for hubs here: http://www.wheelsfar.com/cyclecross-50x ... p-296.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there any reason to not go with the default Edhub?

I emailed Kyle, and he said $600 + $75 shipping + $27 paypal, totaling $702 shipped. Does that sound reasonable?

tharmor

by tharmor

DengFu decided to sell the Firecrest-esque rim as well. However, they will be selling them as complete wheelsets, apparently. Take a look ::

http://dengfubikes.com/index.php?page=s ... 1&Itemid=1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com