Mythic Carbon Crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Hi all,

I was looking at getting a new crank as I need a compact. I want something light but I'm struggling to decide which cranks to get. I originally was interested by the Lightning cranks as they're quite well priced, but as I can't find them anywhere in the UK or EU, I'll get stung big time by customs making the cost far less attractive. I found one place that sold them in France but it was a lot more expensive there and they didn't have my size (170mm 110BCD). Then I considered the Clavicula M3, but again their availability is limited and they are more expensive - definitely pushing my budget a bit. I then remembered the Mythic Carbon crankset and wondered how available they are these days as I remember BTP used to sell them through their site. I ended up at what clearly is Mythic Carbon's (Natec) website and it looked quite recent. That too and they seem to have a clear catalog of their products with prices and all the different set-ups. They also used to just do crank arms but now they do a crankset with an integrated spindle for outboard BBs which looks really good. They're only 345g for the crank which is really competitive.
I was so close to ordering a new SRAM Red Exogram crankset as the weight for the money looked amazing - then I realised they won't work with Osymetric chainrings. :(

My question is does anyone have one of these, and how available are they? I plan to give them a call on Monday to investigate.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Do keep in mind that the claimed weight is without chain rings and bearings.

http://www.dulight.fr/product_info.php?cPath=91_75_152&products_id=2028

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I just emailed Osymetric regarding the new Sram Red 2013 cranks and their rings and they say it works together - you just have to turn it 180 degrees from how it is usually mounted on other cranks.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

fdegrove wrote:Do keep in mind that the claimed weight is without chain rings and bearings.

Thanks, yes, don't worry I clocked that. I did also see they make a BB386 crank too with a 30mm spindle that is only 355g claimed. My 130BCD Claviculas are 345g so that is seriously light. They come with THM bearings included in the price so really it's only ~10g or so heavier than the Claviculas (130BCD mind).

Kayrehn wrote:I just emailed Osymetric regarding the new Sram Red 2013 cranks and their rings and they say it works together - you just have to turn it 180 degrees from how it is usually mounted on other cranks.

Oh that's interesting. I did see a thread here with a guy running an Osymetric ring with the 2013 Sram cranks and yeah he had it rotated 180 degrees. However he was only running one chainring at the front and he said he had to bodge it on a little (I remember him saying it was only attached by 4 crank bolts?).

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I just gave one of the UK distributors a call and they said the Osymetrics definitely do not work with the new SRAM Red cranks. Oh well, I might give this Mythic Carbon crank a go if I can get hold of one.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hm I got my reply from Osymetric USA, that's confusing. Any chance of hunting down the post of the fellow WW using them on the new cranks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Don't worry guys I've made a decision now. I ordered some MythicCarbon cranks. Quite excited and I'll update this thread when I get them. Thanks everyone.