Yet another climbing wheel ...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

enve 25 with extralite hubs are affordable, and will come in at less than 900 grams. I got a used set for $1500. For me they are the best climbing wheels for the price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

9x12man

by 9x12man

@mertdemirel - I kind of agree, but I don't think that weight is the main factor. Hyperons are just under 1300g and are a great climbing wheel. The price is hard to beat, but I would be nervous about descending on 900g wheels repeatedly over a series of days in the mountains.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

9x12man wrote:This is why I was moving in the Enve 3.4 direction. But .... people thought I was mad!!

A quick search and you'll find a lot of people, myself included, very highly rate the 3.4's.

Don't just base your choice off this one thread, it's why we have a :search: :wink:

9x12man

by 9x12man

Don't worry Tinea,

I'm 99% there on the Enve 3.4's. In the end both the Hyperon and 3.4's are incredible wheels and I it's me that is the weak link in the chain. I really like that the 3.4's will be amazing in my local environment too (Surrey Hills) and not just in the mountains.

NealH

by NealH

I'd be nervous with descending repeatedly over a series of days on virtually any carbon wheel....especially enve. I like metal brake tracks, weight be damned.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

NealH wrote:I'd be nervous with descending repeatedly over a series of days on virtually any carbon wheel....especially enve. I like metal brake tracks, weight be damned.

but isn't that what actually happens every year in the tour, the giro, the vuelta and every multi-day stage race?

something tells me than they stress equipment harder than we do. not trying to stir the pot, but just pointing out some facts.

eric

by eric

Most of the racers also have to descend the final climb, while the road is clogged with spectators. They manage to do it without melting the rims.

9x12man

by 9x12man

I descend repeatedly on carbon tubular rims when I'm training in the southern alps. Its not a problem at all, as long as you know how to brake properly. My concern is that I do this on Boras and they are affected in cross winds once the mountains become more exposed the higher the passes become. So I was after a carbon tubular that was better suited. Where I train I start out at 300m and get up to a max of about 1,300m. The cols are relatively protected compared to the more northerly alps and so I have been able to get away with using my Campy Boras.

I think that there is a sweat spot for climbing wheels in terms of weight and it is not based solely on weight. Of course its got to be good going up hill, but it also still has to be sturdy enough for the downhill. IMO thats about 1,100 - 1,300g. Any lighter and I would worry about the stiffness and strength of the wheel.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've got evne 45s to extralites, 990g awesome climbing wheels, I'm taking em to the French and Italian alps, I'm 85kgs and descend much better than I climb and I have no dramas with tech or wet descents.
The extralite hubs are very strong for the weight and build up nice and stiff.

LionelB

by LionelB

To mix things up a little for you campy just announced 35mm boras:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/c ... ars-37382/

9x12man

by 9x12man

LionelB wrote:To mix things up a little for you campy just announced 35mm boras:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/c ... ars-37382/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very good move Campagnolo. I hope they are a new design and not just a lower profile of the old 50mm design.

9x12man

by 9x12man

Well in the end I have gone with Enve 3.4 tubs, Chris King Ceramic, CX-RAY spokes and some Veloflex Roubaix. I know, I know go for a thinner tyre for improved aerodynamics blah blah blah ;) I have a set of matured veloflex roubaixs and so lets see how they go.

Will report back when I have given them a stress test in the alps.

Tilldish

by Tilldish

Hi everyone,

Which wheels would you recommend for La Marmotte. I weigh 60 kgs, ride a Specialized Tarmac SL4 and aim for a time under 7 hours. At the moment I am considering Shimano C24, Mavic R-Sys Slr or maybe something handbuilt. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Round ones are a good start.

Something handbuilt of course as you can get wide rims for a wider tyre profile and I would not focus on weight too much it does not make alot of difference. Pacenti SL23 rims 20F/24R on WI T11 hubs does it for me every time. Royce hubs are another good choice. Of course this is weight weenies so you will choice something very light like carbon ti, Tune, FRM e.t.c but if you are going with light hubs with tiny bearings I would not bother spending on boutique hubs and just use Novatec A291/F482 SB-SL hubs instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

surftel

by surftel

Some Chinese carbon clinchers should work great