Looking a light weight rain jacket

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

thprice wrote:+1 Castelli Leggero Jacket - very light, good arm length, form fit to stop flapping in the wind, folds up very small.
Good for light rain, steady rain and downhill chills ... as yet haven't used it in a big downpour

Question for the guys wearing the Catstelli Leggero. I got one for Father's Day, and it seems to fit well, except it's pretty short in the front. Has this been a problem for anyone? It seems like it's so nice and snug everywhere else, that it won't flap in the wind. I was just shocked how short the thing is!

I was afraid to go a size up, thinking it would start to flap!

Scott

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I have size L at a body height of 186cm / 6' 1", and it fits nicely on the bike. A bit short maybe when standing upright, yes, but it's not really made for that :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

Great, thank you for the feedback! Scott

davidalone

by davidalone

shoppping for a cheap, lightweight rain jacket.

which is the better choice should they be available for similar prices?

Liggero

by Liggero

I have a pearl Izumi PRO rain jacket. Quite nice and it's breathable unlike plastic. Packs into a middle jersey pocket. 80€.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

ScottGoBlue wrote:
thprice wrote:+1 Castelli Leggero Jacket - very light, good arm length, form fit to stop flapping in the wind, folds up very small.
Good for light rain, steady rain and downhill chills ... as yet haven't used it in a big downpour

Question for the guys wearing the Catstelli Leggero. I got one for Father's Day, and it seems to fit well, except it's pretty short in the front. Has this been a problem for anyone? It seems like it's so nice and snug everywhere else, that it won't flap in the wind. I was just shocked how short the thing is!

I was afraid to go a size up, thinking it would start to flap!

Scott

That's very normal. Think about how it fits in a cycling position, not standing up. All recent jacket patterns are extremely short on the front because of this. The shorter in the front the better, actually, and the opposite on the back.
Happy Trails !!!

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

Arcteryx Squamish - 145 grams , $150

most comfortable rain/wind jacket I've ever worn, probably my favorite piece of gear.

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

If you want to go with the lightest current technology allows, look into cuben fiber :

For example a cuben fiber rain jacket on zpacks.com , weighs 130 grams.

Along with arcteryx , zpacks is my top choice for lightweight rain gear.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Had to use my Rapha Race Cape (horrible name I know) for the first time today. Was quite impressed; good fit, nice long arms, stayed dry and warm throughout the ride (5 hours, of which at least 2 in medium to heavy rain). I do find it difficult to justify the retail price though...

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Also got a rapha one.. It's awesome. Did a 100km ride in the pooring rain, 1200m of climbing and all.. It was totally boss the whole time. Got it on sale for $140 so I can't complain, only thing is mine is cream.. Which means spot washing it in the shower after your wet ride.
:thumbup: ruling rain jacket! And once you own one you'll be a happy camper

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Really wondering about the new Castelli Confronto jacket. Tried it in the shop, and it feels super, just the bit of stretchiness you need. If it's as waterproof as claimed, that would make it a real winner for those rides when it already rains at the start (complementing the carry-on optimized Leggero).

konky

by konky

As long as it's not too cold a gilet in my view is better than a full rain jacket. It gives enough protection and crucially you don't get the 'boil in the bag' problem. For summer use - go gilet.

The Rapha one is the best summer gilet by some margin. A very superior piece of kit.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I use a Castelli Sottile Due Shorty. Gives me shoulder coverage but no flapping sleeves. It packs in to a pocket easy.

airwise

by airwise

cydonian74 wrote:Sportful Survival, you'll go a long way to beat this one! ONLY gripe is no pockets, but other than that its mega! :thumbup:

Have to agree here. I bought one for a friend who loves it. I picked up the predecessor that was made for Saxo and it's even simpler but packs down like a windproof and is totally waterproof.

I also have an Assos Luftwateva and it's not worth the extra IME

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

I love my Sportful Survival as well. Definitely an essential piece of gear in my closet.