Ksyrium SL wheel issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nayr497

by nayr497

Hello,

I have a new-to-me (and very lightly used) pair of Ksyrium SL Super Light wheels that I'm having some problems with. Very low kms on them.

The rear wheel makes an odd "pinging" sound when I'm riding. It only seems to make this noise when I'm out of the saddle, especially when climbing. The wheel is true, the spokes all seem tight, the wheel is in good shape, not much riding in it.

The only thing I can compare it to is when a regular, round double-butted spoke has broken on other wheelsets and it then clinks around during the hobble ride home. It's a metallic sound, link a light "pink-pink-pinking" as I turn the cranks around and rock the bike a bit side to side. It's definitely coming from the rear wheel and does not make this sound when I swap in another wheelset. This wheel also makes the noise on other bikes I own, so it is isolated to the wheel.

I know noises are a major, major PITA to diagnose period, much less through the net. But, I thought since this is (was) a relatively common wheelset someone else might have had this issue.

Any ideas appreciated!
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Lube the spokes where they attach to the hub. Had this on a set I had years ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nayr497

by nayr497

Hi Twiggy,

Thanks for the reply.

1) Just a drop of lube externally, where the spokes meet the hub?

2) What kind of lube? I'm thinking something light teflon chain lube...

Thanks! This sounds like a very real potential for the culprit. It's some sort of metal flexing or rubbing as I rock the bike a bit and flex the wheel when climbing out of saddle.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

mattr

by mattr

I had the same on mine. Gave it all a good scrub, then just a drop of finish line on each spoke head.
Think I used the dry stuff (red top).

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Any old lube should work. Something thinner like ProLink should penetrate nicely and then dry up somewhat. Prolly what I used and I only had to do it once. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD