Yet another climbing wheel ...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

If you think you have too many wheels, you need more bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

9x12man

by 9x12man

Yes but my n-1 bikes before ending in divorce threshold has already been reached.

LionelB

by LionelB

Bora+hyperon+training wheel is a very good combo.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

9x12man wrote:Yes but my n-1 bikes before ending in divorce threshold has already been reached.

Some people have bikes "on the side", you know.

9x12man

by 9x12man

wassertreter wrote:Some people have bikes "on the side", you know.

hahahahahahaaha. Very very true.

So Bora+Hyperon+Training Wheels

OR

Enve 3.4+Training Wheels.

That is the question??

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Keep the Bora's and use a alloy set for traveling. You won't be disappointed climbing on some 32-spoked rims a la F20 with Record hubs -i would suggest using Comp spokes and brass nipples on the rear DS.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

what is the appeal of the Campag Bora's? i understand that Campag hubs are fantastic, but the rim design is from over 10 years ago. what's the difference between a Bora and a wheel like the old Enve design or Reynolds wheelset with great hubs? not much really.

LionelB

by LionelB

Have you ridden some boras ? If not I suggest you do.

9x12man

by 9x12man

The Bora's are a fantastic wheel. The combination of the rims with ceramic bearings and the record hubs are pretty special. Saying that I have not ridden the older Enve or Reynolds designs. I can imagine that they are pretty close.

The problem with the Bora is that they do get blown around at windy altitudes. I ride La Pyreneenne each year and the entire line up is on either box rims or low profile carbon. This is why I have been asking about great climbing wheels. However with modern designs it might just be possible to have a do it all wheel that is good on the climbs and also aero for the flats. I can't really afford an expensive set of wheels living on my wall apart from 2 months of the year. This is why I was moving in the Enve 3.4 direction. But .... people thought I was mad!!

LionelB

by LionelB

9x12man wrote:I ride La Pyreneenne each year and the entire line up is on either box rims or low profile carbon.

it makes sense. I think trying to find the one wheel that does it all will lead to a wheel that does nothing perfectly.

9x12man

by 9x12man

LionelB wrote:it makes sense. I think trying to find the one wheel that does it all will lead to a wheel that does nothing perfectly.

It makes perfect sense that the line up is on low profile, but modern designs might have changed the game a little.

For example the Enve 3.4's are lighter than Hyperon's, the braking maybe slightly better and they have a more aerodynamic shape. I'm finding it very difficult to justify buying the hyperons (they are the same price). They are also 'supposed to be almost as good in cross winds' although that remains to be seen. I would need to practically test both to be sure.

LionelB

by LionelB

I just installed these, so my decision is already made ;-) I also have winium, low profile is very hard to beat in the mountains.

9x12man

by 9x12man

Now that is a great setup. Really really nice. Is that a spare tub in the upright bottle cage?

Everyday is a different wheel conclusion for me at the moment. Time is running out though!

9x12man

by 9x12man

@LionelB - Aix en Provence. I have a house in Bangols-en-Foret. An hours drive down the A8. Thats where I train in the spring. You are in an amazing cycling area. Smooth roads, not too many cars and people who respect cyclists on the road. Can't wait to be back there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

9x12man wrote:Is that a spare tub in the upright bottle cage?

yes it is !