-17 degree stems for 1.25" steerers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Hi all,

Found some threads on here on this topic but didn't find any much use. I'm looking for a -17 degree stem for my canyon but I'm out of luck. I emailed Canyon themselves and they say they're out of stock in my length. I assume that means they're not likely to have any in the near future either. As far as I know my only option is the Ritchey stem, but I can't find a -17 one anywhere; only the -6/84 degree stem. Anyone have any suggestion as to where I should look next? Or even better does anyone have one in either 90 or 100mm?

kya

by kya

From what I've read before, Specialized's "adjustable angle" stems are 1.25" without the shims that are used to adjust the angle. The stems come in 4, 12, and 17deg angles without shims so that might be worth a look.

Example:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/co ... multi-stem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Coulda sworn I've seen pictures of them on Giant's 1.25" steerers, but ignore the above and see below for actual Canyon experience.
Last edited by kya on Tue May 14, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

The Specialized adjustable stems with shims removed don't fit Canyon steerers. I've tried it.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Ah, I think that's me solved then - I can fit a Specialized stem to my canyon as I have a special shim here that'll do the trick. I didn't know they came as -17, I thought they only came -12 and -4 but that's great news if they do. Now comes the challenge of trying to find one...

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Right I am seriously having to abstain from writing this in all capitals... but is there some massive conspiracy against me finding a freaking stem for my Canyon?

Okay so clearly the Specialized CLP Multi stem is my last option here... The US Specialized site says it comes in the -17 degree flavour, great. Then I looked on the UK portal and it only lists the 4 and 12 degrees. Sure enough you can't find the -17 one anywhere in the UK, and I phoned up a few places to check.

You can find the -17 from a few stores in the US, but when I try and order one it says the item cannot be shipped and can only be picked up from the store? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Are -17 degree Specialized stems BANNED in the UK like drugs? WTF.

Someone please help me before I bend this 12 degree stem I have here another 5 degrees out of sheer anger.

sungod

by sungod

it's specialized's policy of forbidding resellers from shipping outside their own territory, so they can control prices, apple does the same

resellers that disobey will get punished - they even seem to apply it between eu countries (for instance bike24.com will only ship within germany), which afaik is illegal, but i guess no reseller wants to make a case of it

have you contacted specialized uk direct to see if they can get you one? maybe it's a new item that hasn't got into the supply chain yet

otherwise maybe a usa ww could buy one and ship it to you?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Giant Contact OD2 stems come in 20 deg and are 1 1/4, any good?

Camilo

by Camilo

Have you checked ebay? There's some listed there right now, but I don't know if they fit your needs.

I bought one a few years ago on ebay and my only advice is to make sure you quiz the seller specifically on what parts they have and exactly what they're selling. The seller I bought from really didn't have a clue how the stem worked, what the stem options were, and what constituted a complete "package". She had simply cut and pasted the Specialized website info for her listing. I therefore was misled about the listing and actually didn't get a complete set of shims. Fortunately, what I did get gave me the angle I needed, but I wouldn't have had all the options had I needed them. She was a good seller and refunded some money to me, but be warned that a lot of folks who own these things really don't know much about them.

One example, I just looked at an ebay listing and the stem and shims look just fine, but the seller just cut and pasted the Specialized information, and nowhere in the listing does it tell you which version he's selling.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Does the Syntace F119 come in -17? I think that's similar to the Specialized with a shim but actually fits Canyon steerers.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Rick

by Rick

Thomson
Oooops....no 1.25 sorry.

hubert222

by hubert222

Tenlegs wrote:Giant Contact OD2 stems come in 20 deg and are 1 1/4, any good?

hi, i m using it. Not heavy and stiff enough(stiffer than my Richxxx stem).
The best Quality bike i had - colnago - c40, c50 , time -vxrs , bianchi, Look - 381, 585Ultra. giant- Adv SL isp

hubert222

by hubert222

CarpetFibre wrote:Hi all,

Found some threads on here on this topic but didn't find any much use. I'm looking for a -17 degree stem for my canyon but I'm out of luck. I emailed Canyon themselves and they say they're out of stock in my length. I assume that means they're not likely to have any in the near future either. As far as I know my only option is the Ritchey stem, but I can't find a -17 one anywhere; only the -6/84 degree stem. Anyone have any suggestion as to where I should look next? Or even better does anyone have one in either 90 or 100mm?

Hi, do you want to buy my giant OD2 100mm -20 ?i just use it about 1 week. very new.
Reason for sell : too low for me.
The best Quality bike i had - colnago - c40, c50 , time -vxrs , bianchi, Look - 381, 585Ultra. giant- Adv SL isp

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Thanks folks for your help. -20 is probably a bit too much for me, but I've managed to find a -17 degree stem on ebay that's in my size; hopefully I'm sorted now.

hubert222

by hubert222

CarpetFibre wrote:Thanks folks for your help. -20 is probably a bit too much for me, but I've managed to find a -17 degree stem on ebay that's in my size; hopefully I'm sorted now.

Giant Contact SLR OD2 looks strong and light. But no -17.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com