BB86 installation help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

Been spannering at my own bikes for about 30 years but I’ve never installed a pressfit bottom bracket so a little advice from wiser heads would be appreciated. Specifically I’m fitting Fulcrum BB86 cups to a carbon frame for use with the Fulcrum RS chainset. I have a good quality Cyclus headset press but I’ve been told I may also need a pair of specific bushing plates to use in conjunction with the press. Is that the case? A mate has a pair of FSA BB30 bushings, would they be of any use? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The Cyclus tool will only press head cups into a head tube. Other, better quality head cup presses - like VAR, Park and Cyclo - can be used to press in Shimano BB86 cups ... with the right bushings fitted. These better head cup presses are 'stepped' so can press cups into short tubes like BB shells.

For example, you could use the VAR head cup press DR-03400 with PE-13800 busings. Or you could buy a VAR BB press PE-13400 and fit the right bushings for BB86.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

if you press in one cup at a time, and take the effort to set and hold the press tool square with the frame, almost anything will work. you could even use a vise, if its jaws open far enough. these being UltraTorque cups with no bearings in them, damage risk is greatly reduced.

liam7020

by liam7020

Valbrona wrote:The Cyclus tool will only press head cups into a head tube. Other, better quality head cup presses - like VAR, Park and Cyclo - can be used to press in Shimano BB86 cups ... with the right bushings fitted. These better head cup presses are 'stepped' so can press cups into short tubes like BB shells.

For example, you could use the VAR head cup press DR-03400 with PE-13800 busings. Or you could buy a VAR BB press PE-13400 and fit the right bushings for BB86.

No, my friend used the Cyclus tool in conjunction with the FSA bushings to successfully press a BB30 into his Goomah frame. Not thinking of buying another expensive headset tool for what will effectively be a one-off job. Have a notion the bushings that come with the Park Tool BBT90.30 might work with the Cyclus press and only 30 quid!

thisisatest wrote:if you press in one cup at a time, and take the effort to set and hold the press tool square with the frame, almost anything will work. you could even use a vise, if its jaws open far enough. these being UltraTorque cups with no bearings in them, damage risk is greatly reduced.

Like it - adapt and overcome!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I totally agree with thisisatest. I don't think a lot of people realize how important it is to press only one bearing/cup at a time and not try to press them both simultaneously. By doing this he's right in that almost any threaded item can be made to work.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

But the Cyclus press isn't threaded along the whole shaft, meaning you would have to cobble some arrangement. I guess you could use the existing conventional bushings to 'fill up' the unthreaded section of the shaft.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I've used the Cyclus tool, with the Park Tool pressfit shims, on about four installations now. No problems at all. Maybe you have a different kind of Cyclus tool...?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Yeah I was pretty sure the Cyclus tool in conjunction with the Park Tool BBT90.3 kit would do the job. BUT when I thought about it the maths didn't quite add up. I would have to buy the BBT90.3 kit at about £40 for, in my case, a one-off use, whereas my LBS would charge £15 to press in the cups for me. So the LBS it was! Sorted!!