2013 romin pro vs toupe pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

Romin is for me, very comfortable. The Toupe basically springs into the hammock shape when you sit on it - the problem being that over time, they end up sagging permanently. The Romin also gives you some thing to push against and also allows you to locate yourself more easily - all for a slight weight penalty.

Chello

by Chello

I've ridden all 3 saddles in the Pro offering. For me the Romin was an overall good saddle but a little wide in the nose for my liking. The Toupe never seemed to agree with me and I switched off of it within a few weeks. I've since switched to the Romin Evo Pro and I've been riding it for several months now with no issues.

I have the middle section of my saddle set close to level, the nose dips slightly and the tail kicks up for a nice backboard to sit against while climbing. I measure out to a 143mm on their sit bone measurement tool and that seems to have been the right choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Love my Romin Pro, no more numbness on long rides. I have either owned or used a Selle Italia SLR & SLR XP, Fizik Antares and Arione (tried the Versus versions too), Charge Spoon, some instrument of torture from Prologo and various SDG saddles from my MTB days. The Romin is by far the most comfortable and no numbness on long rides. It's a bit firm to start with but you get used to it. I have also found in a 143mm it seems narrower by the thighs than the Antares and Arione's it replaced and as a consequence I can pedal at a higher cadence more comfortably. Would Specialized not honour the 30 day comfort guarantee they offer even on a special order?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I will say that the 2013 Toupe is a nice saddle. I've used the previous design for years and really liked them, but the new ones have a slightly tweaked shape and a stronger shell (The old style was notorious for cracking the shell near the front of the cutout).

I go back and fourth between Toupe Pros (145), Fizik Antares (carbon braided), and the good old SLR. I seem to prefer flat saddles and all three of these work well for me (But I do prefer the slight increase in width the Toupe and Antares have over the SLR). I tried a Romin and an Alaiente, both "hammock" style saddles, and could never get the position dialed in. I think I prefer to move around a lot when riding, which the flat saddles handle better.

addictR1

by addictR1

@mattyb95: well, i'm getting the specialized saddle through a LBS (mike's bike) and they stated no returns on special orders. :( so trying to find another shop that can offer returns. i see specialized also sells it on their online store, so i'm waiting to hear back from them on the return policy. hopefully they still offer the 30 day.

right now, i'm testing the Selle Italia SLR SuperFlow 145, so we'll see how that goes. but eventually hope to hear back from specialized though..

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Many Specialized shops have a demo saddle program. I know my LBS does this. The saddles are in bright red and white, to grab attention and deter theft ;)

addictR1

by addictR1

guess i'll have to call around other LBS to see..

Getter

by Getter

Mike's Bikes in Nor Cal?

Those guys are a big Spesh dealer...surprised they won't let you demo a saddle.

My shop down here will at least let you exchange a special order saddle for another one.

I'm on a red/white Phenom demo saddle right now.

addictR1

by addictR1

@Getter: yea.. i even asked them in the store and they not for special orders.. :( guess i'll find another LBS that will..

Update: Mikes Bike came through.. but still no returns on special orders. However, they did recommend me to try the Romin EVO Pro. they said they would carry that over the Romin Pro because it's more comfortable.

so, i have the 155 incoming and if that don't work.. will try the 168. currently riding on the selle superflow 145, which my boys are quite happy, but need to put more miles to see..

addictR1

by addictR1

quick update... Went to mikes and returned the 155 Romin EVO pro. My hamstring keeps rubbing against the wing.

this time took another ass-o-meter, but wearing very thin shorts, like beach wear type. The first time was with my jeans on, so measurement was wide. This time, they recommend me with a 143. The 2013 Romin EVO pro in 143 is the perfect winner! Got a bike fit from my friend who's getting certified in bike fit and damn.. Made a whole lot difference.

saddle is often put to blame first.. But in all honesty I think proper bike fit first, then blame the saddle. I love this saddle...

mattyb95

by mattyb95

addictR1 wrote:saddle is often put to blame first.. But in all honesty I think proper bike fit first, then blame the saddle. I love this saddle...

Think you are right there. Bike fit helped with me but would still get numbness on long rides. Switched to a Romin Pro and absolutely love it, no numbness and find I can pedal a higher cadence more easily now too as the saddle doesn't seem to hinder my thighs.

addictR1

by addictR1

mattyb95: yup same here. l absolutely love it. Just waiting for it to break in more and I'm sure it'll fit like a glove.

my only concern is the cut out area being very flexible. Hopefully it doesn't break over time.

trychle

by trychle

I absolutely love the shape of the Romin evo pro (143mm).
The saddle rail came loose from the saddle shell at one side though, which is quite remarkable as I weigh 58kg..

addictR1

by addictR1

@trychle: wow.. that's very surprising to hear. i weight 68kg and hope that doesn't happen to me. nonetheless, hopefully you were able to get it warrantied.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com