My Sub-20lbs NAHBS Funk Cycles La Ruta

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Absolutely amazing bike! Aesthetically perfect!

I am not sure I fancy cleaning the muck out of the hubs though

Out of interest what is the rough weight for the frame? Also, how does the lower end of the shock mount to the frame? Do you have any pictures for this?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Thanks guys!
@DanW: The hubs actually don't get much dirt inside them, I think because centrifugal force wants stuff to move outwards in radius more than inwards. Being in dry colorado probably helps; I imagine the conditions in Wales are somewhat muckier generally!

Frame weight without the shock is about 1.85kg / 4.1lbs (including seat binder bolt and derailleur hanger). Shock and mounting hardware adds about 270g, so total is around 2.12kg or 4.7lbs. This is a bit heavier than they used to be because the post-mount brake and thru-axle rear dropouts from Paragon are both a fair bit heavier than their IS / QR alternatives. But I consider those to be pretty functional changes and worth any weight penalty. (Plus I added the integrated seat binder rather than using a seat collar)

The base of the shock attaches to the frame via a cylindrical aluminum adaptor that is clamped by the collar at the end of the seatstays. Rus Kappius and I actually modified the design a little bit so that the adaptor is bolted onto the shock before being clamped (and did some nice machining / anodizing to match the hubs). Here's a photo:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Thanks for the extra picture- it is a very neat solution. The Brit flag by your name confused my as to the bikes location. Hubs make sense in your part of the world :)

Out of interest, why is the lower shock mount designed like this rather than a pivot and bushings more like the upper mount? Is extra stiffness needed in this area?

I have always thought a Ti full sus frame needs to use the properties of Ti in some way to add to the function of the frame rather than just be a flexier or heavier more expensive Alu copy- the lower flex plate is a perfect example of using the material to add something to the function. The cleanliness and ease of maintenance of this design really appeals to me stuck in the British mud pretty much year round :)

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I'm dual nationality and spent most of my first 21 years in London, and the past 15 in the US... so the confusion from flag and location are understandable!
I totally agree about using the properties of Ti to the bike's advantage, and this is one thing that made me fall in love with the design of this frame. That and the fact that its just so simple and clean. As to the reason for the design on the lower mount... if they used a pivot and bushings here then (without a linkage setup) it'd add more degrees of freedom that aren't needed and probably aren't wanted. I know that they've often been asked why they don't have a linkage setup there like all the other full-susp frames, and the answer is that they did, but that they took it out of the design because they felt it added weight and complication and rode just as well without it. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about this frame; definitely worth considering if you're in the market for something like this.

flyinryan2

by flyinryan2

That's a sweeeet looking bike there dwaharvey! Were you able to wipe off my drool that I left on it at NAHBS? LOL Seriously sweet bike. I actually had one ordered for a couple mths now after demo'ing Dave's and I knew it felt right for me and my riding style anyway. Curious though about your wheel choice. How do those Duke rims ride? I'm debating carbon rims for my Funk build as well and noticed that those Duke carbon rims are a bit lighter duty than say an ENVE XC rim. Thoughts? Do they ride/track THAT much better than a Gold/Crest wheelset? Do you remember spoke tensions used on your rims?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I don't have many rides on the Duke wheels, but so far I have no complaints: no burping, and the bike corners really well which the wheels must certainly play a big part in. I haven't tried Stans 29er rims (only 26), but weight wise these have them beat, and I imagine stiffness-wise also. My Funk with Duke wheels handles better on the trails than my Form with Enve wheels, but the Duke rims are certainly less burly than the Enve ones. I built mine with 120kgf tension on the tighter side.

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

I am speechless....that is all.
A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

http://youtu.be/9SctEhBljqY

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Cool bike! Love the suspension design a lot.

How are the hubs working out for you? If I am not mistaken they should feature ultra fast engagement right?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

The hubs are fantastic, though I've become spoiled and no longer notice the engagement ;) I think its one of those things where slow engagement feels unnatural, so when its taken away you very soon forget it about it ever having been an issue.

LiveFastRideHard

by LiveFastRideHard

Always love the gray metal but this is fantastic. The rear linkage reminds me of my old AMP Cycles B2, although I am sure yours works much better!! The simple lines and minimal components really compliment the build quality. Congrats!!
Felt DA(RIP), Look 595, Merlin CR Works, Calfee Tetra Pro, Moots Vamoots

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Can you tell us some more about the SiSL and the BB?

Really pretty bike!

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Max, the cranks are the SISL2 with a Leonardi Racing XX1 spider. The frame has a standard BSA 73mm shell, and I'm basically running the Cannondale BB Kit they sell at R2Bike (comes with a 132mm spindle with no lip) with a few mods:
1) The bearings felt pretty tight, and I fancied some bling, so I replaced the cups&bearings with Zipp Vuma Ceramic (unbelievably smooth bearings) which have the exact same dimensions, but somehow weighed 20g less (happy coincidence)
2) I didn't like that the dust shields sat 1.5mm+ away from the bearing face (and a bit beyond the cup outer edge) because I felt that dust and dirt would easily find its way into the space. So I ground down the lip on the shield by 1mm, leaving behind a 0.5mm lip, and the dust shield now sits "within" the cup rather than protruding.
3) I didn't want to use all the delrin spacers because it seemed too ugly for this build (they'd be visible on the NDS), so I figured out that with my thinner dust covers, my NDS spacer needed to be 9mm to center the cranks, took a 10mm 1 1/8" carbon headset spacer and machined it down to 9mm thickness and from 28.6mm ID to 30.0mm ID. On the DS I needed only one 1mm spacer plus the wave washer.
The nice thing about the SISL2 in this setup is that the Q-factor is I think 5mm (or was it 2.5mm?) narrower than with the SISL because the arms are a slightly different shape.

Dirk

by Dirk

Awsome, dreaming some years of a La Ruta, to bad they add more than 30% import-taxes here in Europe.
Perhaps the chain stays could be made shorter by bending the seattube?
Another solution to advance the seattube to the front from 2soulscycles (and easy acces for a stealth dropper post)It's a hardtail, but even a fully could benefit from shorter cs imo:

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Great 4th of July ride. Still in love with this bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

What's not to love-----light, responsive, innovative and so understated it's FLASH!!! 8) Beautiful ride. :thumbup: :thumbup: