CX Clinchers and latex tubes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Anyone got any experience with them? Also are there currently any companies doing CX size latex tubes? I've only found expensive Challenge ones on eBay.

ldamelio

by ldamelio

I've run Challenge latex tubes with Grifo rear/Fango front for the last two seasons - 30 races on this combo in a variety of conditions. On wide (23 mm Revolution rims), a near tubular setup - able to race at 28 psi rear / 25 front without flats at 6'1" 170 lbs. This combo hooks up well in corners. Don't bother if you're not using good cotton sidewall tires or if you're not racing - the real advantage is in being able to run your tires 'squirmy' when conditions dictate - butyl sidewalls preclude this before you even get to tubes. I think the wide rims also contributed to my success with this setup. I'm not aware of other cross latex tubes, but the Challenge are very well made and worth every penny for my purposes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

ldamelio wrote:Don't bother if you're not using good cotton sidewall tires or if you're not racing
Even though the tread is separate from the casing, where did you find clincher Challenge cross tires with cotton sidewalls as I thought the clinchers used reinforced polyester casings?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ldamelio

by ldamelio

You're right - the walls are reinforced polyester (and not cotton) on the 'open tubular' Challenge line. I was referring to latex tubes being useful with these, as opposed to the lower line all butyl (blackwall) tires.

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

We use the wide (28MM) Vittoria Latex Tubes, too.
They work well up to 37mm, more we didnt check.

eurperg

by eurperg

I have used normal Michelin A1 AirComp 22/23 latex tubes for years. They will stretch to CX size without problems...

jcrr

by jcrr

I have used Michelin, Challenge and Vredestein tubes, all in road (20-25mm) size. I also have used a few Challenge 30-32mm ones. I use them on skinny 19mm rims, with 35mm tires, and I have run my tires as low as 28psi at my 62kilos.

Of the above, the ones I have pinch flatted are the Challenge 30-32mm ones. Go figure...

Also, I will come out and say I have not had the best of luck with Stans and latex tubes. One of these days I'm bored I may try the glitter idea, see if that helps...
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

jcrr wrote:One of these days I'm bored I may try the glitter idea, see if that helps...

The glitter idea? Please enlighten me

jcrr

by jcrr

Glitter idea as explained here: http://www.cxmagazine.com/add-sparkle-t ... ason-flats

Like I said, one of these days I'm bored.... and after a few :beerchug:
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

commfire

by commfire

A bit off topic but...
Has anyone tried the super wide clinchers such as Enve Smart with latex inner tube set up.
I currently run tubulars but life has become too busy for 3 days of proper gluing.
I am encouraged to hear people running 30psi on the 23mm wide rims. If this is true then the Smart system wheels could be even more pinch flat resistant.
Enve makes a full range of MTB rims so I am hoping that durability of the clincher rim would not be an issue.
Anyways...thoughts on this?

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

commfire wrote:A bit off topic but...
Has anyone tried the super wide clinchers such as Enve Smart with latex inner tube set up.
I currently run tubulars but life has become too busy for 3 days of proper gluing.
I am encouraged to hear people running 30psi on the 23mm wide rims. If this is true then the Smart system wheels could be even more pinch flat resistant.
Enve makes a full range of MTB rims so I am hoping that durability of the clincher rim would not be an issue.
Anyways...thoughts on this?

it works
i took Latex Cx-Tubes for small 29er Tires

Andrea

by Andrea

:smartass: The latex tubes in the bark ascend in a spiral to the right. For this reason tapping cuts usually ascend to the left to cut more tubes. :up:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Andrea wrote::smartass: The latex tubes in the bark ascend in a spiral to the right. For this reason tapping cuts usually ascend to the left to cut more tubes. :up:

I have no idea what your comment means. :noidea:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Bad Google translate?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com