Wide fit (23mm) alloy box rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

What are peoples thoughts on the Sun CR18, 22.5mm wide, 460g (claimed weight).

AxelBrawn

by AxelBrawn

teleguy57 wrote:Just built up a set of TB-14 in the hard anodized finish on silver Miche hubs with silver Sapim Race spokes and gold alloy nipples. Decided to try my hand and tying and soldering the NDS to improve the stiffness. They turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself:) And they do look a lot my my Nemesis pair when on the bike.

Don't have the numbers right in front of me, but I believe rims were 507 and 510g each.

Can you post some pics of your wheels? Is the hard anodized finish a black or grey look?

I will probably get the same spokes and use the DT Swiss 240s hubs.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Grey and very tasty. Do not use DT 240 hubs with these rims. The wheel will not be stiff enough. The DT hubs have appaling NDS falnge spacing leading to poor lateral stiffness. This is shocking on hubs that cost as much as they do. The rims are around 510g.

The TK540 as Ergot said is an excellent rim. It is bloodly suberb in fact but 540g in weight.

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

Alex rim's Ace-18s are available in 700C, 23mm wide(17mm wide inside), with single eyelets. Mine weighs 479g.
They're usually OE rims for touring bikes or hybrid bikes, very cheap yet dependable, but may not be easy to acquire depending on the local distributor.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

wassertreter wrote:ergott, oh, very interesting, and about half the price of the PL23 here!

The Pacenti rim only weighs ~430g though. If you are planning to use the wheels for general road riding, then the PL23 seems like the way to go... with lots of light spokes.

formerly rruff...

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Sorry, took me a bit to take some photos. Here are the TB-14s in hard anodized finish on my cx/rain bike with fenders. The rim color is pretty accurate, although these were taken late in the day in the warm evening light. They are grey, but with a fairly strong bronze cast to them. Definitely not a cool gray or black. A similar look to my Nemesis.

I really like this color, and I am happy with the way the gold alloy nips work as well. And I think the dirt from the rain/snow squalls on my ride also works with the rims :lol:
ImageImage

jooo

by jooo

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:What are peoples thoughts on the Sun CR18, 22.5mm wide, 460g (claimed weight).

These rims don't have the nicest finish you'll ever see and aren't 100% period correct in terms of classic box shape. With that said though, they're extremely cheap and very well proven. They're great for all sorts of uses including mid-weight touring. My own experiences have been very positive.

fletch62

by fletch62

jooo wrote:
ALAN Carbon+ wrote:What are peoples thoughts on the Sun CR18, 22.5mm wide, 460g (claimed weight).

Just ordered a pair of these rims to lace up to Dura Ace 32h hubs. Will be replacing Mavic CXP-22 rims.
I will post some weights & pictures when i get them.

gummee

by gummee

Just built up a pair of the TB-14s for a buddy. They're the same color as the Campag Omega XL clinchers that came off the hubs/spokes. If you're looking for a classic grey, the TB-14 in hard ano is the one for you.

HTH

M

fletch62

by fletch62

My Sun CR-18 rims came in today.
555 & 561g. :evil: Advertised @ 460g.
Not happy. Sent an email off, but dont know if i can be bothered sending them back.
I may try drilling holes inside the rim between spokes holes to get some weight down.