Sram Red front derailleur(non yaw) with Chorus 10 speed shif

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

So im trying to figure out if it would be functionally ok to run a sram red front derailleur with my Chorus 10 shifters. i knwo in theory it should be fin, has anyone run this setup or one like it in the past? the red front would save me a little weight, and match the red chainrings im running very nicely :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes.

Virtually any mechanical FD will match up nicely with any front shifter so long as they are the same (double vs. triple). Mix & match to get trim options, weight, appearance, value, etc:.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

Now all i need to worry about is being sent to tullio's inferno :twisted:

sigismond0

by sigismond0

prendrefeu wrote:Yes.

Virtually any mechanical FD will match up nicely with any front shifter so long as they are the same (double vs. triple). Mix & match to get trim options, weight, appearance, value, etc:.

Not exactly true. Different FDs will have slightly different cable:derailleur movement ratios. This is mostly related to the length of the lever arm, which tend to be very similar across brands and models. You'll almost certainly run into trouble if you try to use Ultegra 6800 or DA 9000 FDs with other shifters.

As for Chorus/Red combo, you should have no problem because of the way Campagnolo doesn't do two main positions with trim, but a bunch of smaller adjustments. This gives you basically infinite trim and will allow you to use it with basically any FD without trouble.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sigismond0, I've used multiple combinations between different manufacturers, and there was no problem at all.
DA 9000 might be completely different, but otherwise everything has been pretty much the same. The FD is a very simple mechanism.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Right, and that's more or less what I meant. The derailleurs are dead simple mechanisms, but the length of the arm will dictate how far the cage moves relative to how much cable is pulled. Additionally, different shifters will have slightly different cable pulls. Since the pull isn't very different and the arms are usually very close in length (except Shimano 11), there's usually no problem using mismatched FD/shifters.

Having Campy shifters makes it even less likely to give you any trouble because of their ratchet mechanism on the FD. (Unless that's changed since the last generation, I currently only have 10s Record.)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I tried using the 10 speed 2009 Campag Centaur shifter with the 2012 Red YAW FD and it just could hold the shift. The FD would drop the chain, couldn't get it to work

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com