Giant Xtc '05 / 8.7Kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

Hello fellow weight weenies!! I open this thread to show you my mountain bike and its latest updates. So far so good, weight is 8,7Kg as pictured. It's nearly ready for this season races. I ride mainly marathon in South Spain, lots of Km's but specially very long climbs. And hot, very very hot; nice!!! :D

Last edited by Liggero on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

Details:

Last edited by Liggero on Tue May 01, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Trails !!!

devinci

by devinci

very nice

couple of questions:

why not a tubeless set up?

did you get those matte black bottle cage off ebay?

Liggero

by Liggero

devinci wrote:very nice

couple of questions:

why not a tubeless set up?

did you get those matte black bottle cage off ebay?

I run tubes in winter, I never have a flat in winter because I live in Holland that part of the year. I will install Stan's latex next month, I already got some nice black anodized aluminium valves.

The bottle cages are from ebay, yes, but they were glossy. I just sanded them with a very thin sand paper. As you can see, weight is a bit irregular; one weighted 29, but the other 19.

Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

I bring up this thread as I´m looking forward to change stem, handlebar and seatpost. The idea is to get a wider bar with a shorter stem, and get also a carbon seatpost.

I´m getting an ebay 31.8x620mm 118g bar, a Uno 31.8x90mm stem, and a 30.9x350mm 3k carbon seatpost of 134g. Overall weight will be the same, perhaps 5g heavier, and I will get a 15mm less of upper body strecht, and a 6cm wider bar... With the current asian carbon offers in ebay, it's now quite cheap to get decent light parts. Also I love the now logo stealth look.

I also updated the red sabble plastic bits to black ones. Look much better now, I will post the new parts and new bike photos when parts are installed. What do you think?
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

Items start to arrive. Stem is with steel bolts. Seatpost top has been sealed with insulating foam, to keep water away...

Happy Trails !!!

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Wider bars is a good move. Those seem way too narrow.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Liggero

by Liggero

Yes, the one I was using was 560mm, which was the standar like 10 years ago. Good for easy and long well know tracks and going uphill. Still I was very curious to try something wider but not too much, I will be better at downhill and technical tracks, but still I ride no rock gardens or big drops like in the xco world cup, so it should be fine for the marathon races in south Spain. Also, updating to 31.8 and getting a shorter stem will be a nice thing... Let's see!!!
Happy Trails !!!

DanW

by DanW

Mt Zoom Ultralite bar may be worth a look. 640mm wide and 97g in the 25.4 version. I am really getting on well with mine and the carbon weave will go well with your frame. The is no real advantage to 31.8 and it is just heavier for nothing :wink: I was not keen on the white markings and luckily Ant at Mt Zoom has recently got a batch of bars with far more subtle markings.

Liggero

by Liggero

DanW wrote:Mt Zoom Ultralite bar may be worth a look. 640mm wide and 97g in the 25.4 version. I am really getting on well with mine and the carbon weave will go well with your frame. The is no real advantage to 31.8 and it is just heavier for nothing :wink: I was not keen on the white markings and luckily Ant at Mt Zoom has recently got a batch of bars with far more subtle markings.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I will consider it. Could you please tell me where do they sell that bar and what is the cheapest price?

I also prefer 25.4mm standard, as i think it's better and lighter, and less stiff, which i think it's better for a bar because it will absorb the rocks better. The problem is they are harder and harder to get, and same happens with stems. I already got the 31.8mm stem so... But, I just received the bar, and the weight is not 118g as advertised. Real weight is 143g, not bad considering the price, but a bit of a disapointment... I´m already looking for an alternative...

I sanded it so now it has a matte carbon look, really nice.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

The MT Zoom bar has too many graphics, and it's like four times the price of this one. I would have to sand til the carbon, which is something I don't like... I will keep this one and find a chinese alternative. I may get something on the 121g range for 640mm and 31.8mm in ebay... Let's see.
Happy Trails !!!

DanW

by DanW

As I said, Mt Zoom now do some more subtle graphics which are probably not online yet. In the UK they are around £80 from XCracer.com which is pretty good value at sub 100g for 640mm wide. They also do a wider version too. It feels plenty stiff in 25.4 so I have no complaints. It is worth getting in touch with Ant at Mt Zoom about any doubts or concerns you have as I have found him very helpful.

Liggero

by Liggero

that is indeed a really good weight for such a length. This bar ended up for free as i got a full refund. I would definitely try out that mt.zoom bar, with maybe a 90mm f99 stem (now i have a 105mm f99 stem... ). First i will try to find out the perfect fit for my new cockpit, then i will have to update both bar and stem, or i may stay with these cheap chinese parts with no logo, that i like so much. Thanks DanW.

BTW, isn't such a low weight a bit scary for such a long bar? My current extralite bar is 560mm and weights that more or less. Is it compatible with bar ends? For me barends are a must have.
Happy Trails !!!

Drk0n0s

by Drk0n0s

Amazing! I did't know that shimano 9speed RD are compatible with sram grip shifts! Did you tuned them somehow to make them work?

Liggero

by Liggero

Sram always offered 9 speed Grip shifts for shimano. These were discontinued with the new ones of 10 speed. You can also use the sram 9speed grip shift for sram rear ders, but using the new shimano shadow 10speed rear der with a 9speed cassette, as with 9 speed cable pull ratio is 1:1, just like sram 9 speed.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com