Road shift cables with soldered ends

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

styrrell

by styrrell

For SRAM shifters its tough to get the cable through without it catching and unraveling. I've tried soldering it but no luck, whatever is on the cable interferes even with flux. So anyone know what brand of shft cable comes with the end pre soldered? I know I've seen them somewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

there are both 1.2mm and 1.1mm gear cables, for sram i think 1.1mm is expected

if the end is neatly cut it should go through, you need to have the lever in the correct position too so that the cable has the easiest path

styrrell

by styrrell

sungod wrote:there are both 1.2mm and 1.1mm gear cables, for sram i think 1.1mm is expected

if the end is neatly cut it should go through, you need to have the lever in the correct position too so that the cable has the easiest path

I agree it should go through but lots of people have the same issue

gospastic

by gospastic

All new cables I've used have been soldered. I don't have issue getting them through. I used to think I had to take the that plate off but have since figured out how to get them trough without doing so.

New Red shifters are much easier to get cables through.

sungod

by sungod

tbh i've never had a problem (old sram red), but i used to do a *lot* of fine wiring!

rather than soldering, try a *small* drop of superglue on the very tip of the cable - too much will wick up the strands and stop it flexing - it'll be enough to stop strands separating, might be wise to degrease the tip first in case it's lubed

you can scrape any excess glue from the outside with a razor blade, so the diameter should be unchanged, unlike when applying solder

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Ditto on the superglue method.
It's very hard to solder stainless cables. Cheap galvanized cables are easy, but I wouldnt use them for other reasons.
I have a feeling some of those "soldered" ends are welded, or at least heated much hotter.

timzcat

by timzcat

They don't solder or weld the ends. In manufacturing they use arc cutting do it fuses the ends when cut to prevent unraveling.

kya

by kya

I've found that filing the end of the cable so that its smooth and blunt with no sharp points helps with feeding the cables through. Otherwise to answer your question, Jagwire cables have "soldered" ends.

spookyload

by spookyload

I will pile on with the superglue method. The Superglue gel works the best. Just a small drop. Another method I have seen used is JB Weld. The benefit of that is you can sand the JB once it cures if it is too big.

Cosmo

by Cosmo

basically every single end cable sold is "soldered".

The best solution for SRAM install is to pre bend the cable end a touch-wrap the end around a 5mm key to give it just a little curve at the tip. Install with the curve going "up and around the spool", goes in easy. Even works with cut cables if the cut was clean, Superglue if needed.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com