"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

This will be a truly epic stage tomorrow. Perfect profile for making GC differences; huge mountain first, wet descend, and then another huge mountain with elevated finish line. If wiggo is strong, he can make other riders push their limits in the first mountain, and in the second make some time, as he can't keep any advantage on the descent...

http://www.steephill.tv/players/profile ... ile-10.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happy Trails !!!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

petepeterson wrote:Baby Schleck not even close. He is done.

The fact he held on as long as he did shows a lot for his form coming around. I know he doesn't have many fans around here, but he looks to be progressing. I am never one to cheer for one's failure, so I hope he comes back to show some form of old.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

wingguy wrote:Now that's what I call a road surface! None of that billiard table smooth poncy French alpine rubbish :twisted:

Yeah, for the Tour they repave the entire route. Rir the Giro, only the real dodgy parts. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tommasini

by tommasini

I have no clue why and which admin deleted my prior post Re: fellow weight weenie Adam Hansen........anyways, check out this article where it gives Weight Weenies a great plug!! :beerchug:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/adam-ha ... -own-hands

Go Adam - Giro stage winner in 2013!! :podium:

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I have to agree with Merckx. I have never seen a pro freeze up like that before in the middle of the race. Plenty of races when it was raining and they went down and then proceeded to get on it again.
I understand that they would be more tentative but not like that. He froze up badly.

Merckx: Wiggins descends like a novice

Five times winner of the Giro d'Italia, Eddy Merckx, has told Het Nieuwsblad that "It is incomprehensible how Wiggins descends," after the Sky leader suffered a crash on stage 7 and was then dropped on a descent on stage 9 to Florence. Wiggins currently sits 1'16 down on maglia rosa Vincenzo Nibali but has looked increasingly vulnerable on the wet roads.

"I never saw it before and have never experienced that myself. I do not know why he suddenly descends so bad. He's ridden the past few days like a novice on the downhills. I think there is something wrong with his material, he has no confidence."

"He seems okay in terms of his physical condition and it is still too early to draw conclusions. Wiggins is right when he says that there are two more hellish weeks."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-di ... oken-bones
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Imaking20

by Imaking20

+1 tompkins

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

+2
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Funny, I'm reading Friebe's 'Eddy Merckx' and it's quite extensive how, early on, he was a terrible descender.

Maybe he can't quite recall what he was like at one point.

Difference being at that point he was a neo-Pro, not a Tour de France winner.

pastronef

by pastronef

http://www.tdwsport.com/en/imagedesk/im ... /id/195720

Mick Rogers with Oakley

(all the team is on RH+)

koebes

by koebes

it must be really hot in california right now. look at 3:21 => a quickstep guy collapses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgUXir0OjIw

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yeah, it's been hot for the past few days. It will get cooler later this week.
To put it in (mild) perspective: the stage was in the Palm Springs area. Yesterday's temperature was peaking at 103°F (recorded) - but it felt much hotter than that (it always does). The race pretty much finished at the peak of the day's heat.

Add to that the road up to the Palm Spring Tram, which was at the end of the stage. It isn't easy by any means.

Climbing in severe heat at the end of a stage on a road which reflects the heat, no shade anywhere to be found, and gradients that often make you feel like you will fall backwards? Pretty much everyone collapsed either on the stage or afterwards.

Thankfully it appears the weather will get much cooler (by comparison) for the next few days. By the time the riders are up North they'll be dealing with much more manageable temperatures.

anicomp568

by anicomp568

tonytourist wrote:Tramway Road is a pretty nasty climb, especially in the heat. I've done it in similar conditions (110 at the base) and wouldn't want to do it a second time! After 120 miles, forget it :P

hmm true, id didn´t look as such a hard climb in TV probably due to the open surroundings and wide road, but the numbers say it clearly:

Length: 3.8 miles
Elevation Gain: 1910 ft
Average Grade: 9.5%
Last 1.2 miles: 12%
Last 1/2 mile: 14.3%
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The numbers actually don't say it clearly enough. The road peaks at over 24% at around less than 200m to the line.

KWalker

by KWalker

I'd say that now the Giro is over for Wiggins. Evans looking surprisingly strong today. My new picks are Evans or Uran with that uphill TT more suiting Uran.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

So who's the leader going to be for the tour at SKY. :twisted:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree