Has anybody tried already a Castelli Gabba jersey??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dvincere

by dvincere

Liggero wrote:Anybody using the convertible version???

Look at my response from Thursday :lol:

tharmor

by tharmor

Geartrade.com always has these for a steal, like this one ::

http://www.geartrade.com/item/325775/ga ... reflective

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

giant man

by giant man

interesting comments about being wind and water resistant:

http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Just back from a ride with it. Wouldn't really say it's very water resistant, compared to a hardshell, but it has its place -- as long as you're going hard, and producing heat, it's the best kit i've ever used. For a ride over, say, 3h in the rain, I'd go for the hardshell.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

The nanoflex layer keeps the road spray off, but if it's pouring, the water will get in.

It would still be my choice in pouring rain though, the fleecey material continues to feels warm against your skin because it doesn't hold water. Riding in the rain never felt so good.

djm

by djm

The Gabba jacket is part true nanoflex and part Gore membrane stuff.

The Gore membrane textile also appears to be covered with the same water repellent as the nanoflex. However the nanoflex is not windproof and such lets through water faster. Nanoflex is used in the side panels, underneath the arms, on the Gabba jacket.

True as ricerocket says, you will get wet, although the Gabba jacket with the Gore membrane is somewhat more "waterproof" than just normal nanoflex treated textile.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Yeah, you will eventually get wet, but the fact that the fabric is windproof means that you still stay warm.

It's not really designed to replace a waterproof jacket. It shines when you're hammering away at the end of a wet/windy/cool race, or when you're out and about and there are scattered showers. If it's raining at the start of a race, or you leave the house in a downpour, then take a full waterproof.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

ricerocket

by ricerocket

MattSoutherden wrote:Yeah, you will eventually get wet, but the fact that the fabric is windproof means that you still stay warm.

It's not really designed to replace a waterproof jacket. It shines when you're hammering away at the end of a wet/windy/cool race, or when you're out and about and there are scattered showers. If it's raining at the start of a race, or you leave the house in a downpour, then take a full waterproof.

So is there something that's fully waterproof and also breathable?

Riding in heavy rain, you're gonna get wet no matter what. It'll find it's way in through the collar, your sleeves, etc. And it won't breathe to boot. So instead of wet, but your body is breathing, you're clammy, sweaty, AND wet.

I definitely don't have the greatest wet weather gear, but I'm also primarily a fair weather rider.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Rice, as others have said, nanoflex is not waterproof, but rather windproof when wet. It doesn't soak when wet, and still feels ok. The parts that flex, like knees, get the wettest, while i find myself be fairly comfy in the jacket (not so much movement on the upper body, obviously).

The "fully waterproof and breathable" claims are often based on separate lab tests. One for the waterproofness, and another one for the breathability, in a dry environment. That way the vapour pressure from the inside is much higher, so the result looks better. In reality though, when it's wet outside, vapour permeability isn't all that great.

This holds for the traditional Gore Tex fabrics, at least. Haven't seen any analysis for the recent (ActiveShell, eVent) class of fabrics, but they are well received.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

I just purchased a Gabba jersey, nano flex arm/leg warmers and I have Pioggia 3 shoe covers (might replace them later on for some nano flex ones and they were damaged due to a crash in january).
One simple question, everything else but the shorts is "water repellent", so what do you do regarding getting wet shorts? Are there water repellent ones?

djm

by djm

I think there is a Nanoflex bib from Castelli.

I have it in the long (tights) version. It is water repellent to a certain degree, but you still get wet.

jipperd

by jipperd

Like "djm" said, there is both a bib short and bib tight version.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

Thanks!
Never really saw it. So they are worth to buy against rain spray? (I will not ride on full wet days any way as I live in Spain, it will be mainly for "rain risk days" and wet roads)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The Nanoflex bib is a good choice for wet roads, or generally cooler weather.

djm

by djm

As regards the bib tight; it is very convenient when riding in changing conditions and with a bit of road spray. In pouring rain it makes less of a difference. Presuming you get the same result with leg warmers/bib. Also the durability of the Nanoflex coating could've been better. Also I have yet to see a way to reapply it or bring it back somehow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com