Overall Ultegra Di2 6770 topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mlchang

by mlchang

@dha I'm using VMWare with Win 7 with no issues. Suspect something with USB handling in Parallels. Try uninstalling the device and try again. I'm also the person who couldn't get it to work with Win 8. Still messing with that and haven't figured it out yet...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dha

by dha

Thanks michang, will have a play around. It half works as it will charge but I want the full functionality

dha

by dha

Works in VMware! Thanks (will get a refund of parallels)

dha

by dha

On the subject of different shift speed settings, what was the speed in the original software equivalent to in the newer versions of the software? Was it Normal?

di2diy

by di2diy

Leonel wrote:So who's got the best prices for these parts?

I do... about half the price of Shimano, see the feedback, I was selling this seat post battery kit long before Shimano for both 7970 and 6970
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Di2-SEAT-POST-B ... 43baaa2b21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by di2diy on Fri May 17, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

di2diy

by di2diy

415brian wrote:I don't think anyone's asked, but AFAICT, you cannot use SM-BCR2 charger to charge the SM-BTR1 (original) battery. I have the following setup on my TT bike:

+ SM-EW90-B: 5-port junction with micro-USB charging port
+ SM-BTR1: original battery; not the SM-BTR2 seatpost battery
+ SM-BCR2: new battery charger with micro-USB charging cable (intended for the SM-BCR2 seatpost battery)

Even with the latest firmware, I cannot charge the (old) SM-BTR1 battery via the 5-port junction. Rather, I still need to remove the SM-BTR1 battery and use the original SM-BCR1 wall charger. Not a huge deal, but I was hoping to save some time when I needed to charge...on my BMC TM01, the SM-BTR1 battery is stuffed in a secret compartment above the bottom bracket.

My road bike has the (new) SM-BTR2 seatpost battery and, as expected, the SM-BCR2 charger works perfectly on that setup.

You can charge your BTR1 battery if you buy this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Di2-SEAT-POST-B ... 43baaa2b21

di2diy

by di2diy

Omiar wrote:Let try to sum up and verify some new information.

Multi shifting on 6770 is officially possible with new software
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Adapted multi shifting of RD-6770*

The new SM-BTR2 battery and SM-BCR2 charge are available

SM-BTR2 battery is connected via a regular EW-SD50 wire, so all 6770 owners should be able to use it.
Could someone verify that?
The description for the battery states to use the new SM-BCR2 charge only? This seems as an unfriendly move from Shimano, but it needs to be verified wheter this is an actual requirement or is Shimano just trying to make more money.

The good side of SM-BCR2 charge is that the description states:
The SM-BCR2 is also an interface for the Shimano E-Tube configuration software.
Which is very good news. If that is indeed correct and you can use it instead pf SM-PCE1, the price for it is actually very good.

About charging the new SM-BTR2 battery.
As I currently understand, 6770 owners must still remove the SM-BCR2 battery to charge it, as do 9070 owner who have internal Di2 wire installation. The isn't a 5 port junction box for 9070 nor 6770.
One option to charge it on the bike is to unplug a component and plug the charge there. Needs to be verified.
The new battery is chargeable on the bike only when you have 9070 with extarl wires and are using SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B junction.

Why not buy this kit, its about half the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Di2-SEAT-POST-B ... 43baaa2b21

freeloader

by freeloader

The internal SM-BTR2 battery -

1) can still use cable Junction SM-EW67-A-E
2) can be charged from any connector that is linked to it (female/male connector of EW-SD50 cable, and port at the SM-EW90 junction)

Therefore, the following options are possible -

1) EW-SD50 + SM-BCR2 charger - cut and solder. Plug to extra shifter port for external charging, or directly to battery
2) SM-BCR2 charger - using DIY adapter to connect charger to EW-SD50
3) EW-SD50 + 3rd party charger - cut and solder. Plug to extra shifter port for external charging, or directly to battery
4) 3rd party charger - using DIY adapter to connect charger to EW-SD50

With option 2, i confirm that programming (multi-shift, buttons etc), charging and upgrading firmware can work.

Anders

by Anders

Freeloader. Could you post the receipt on the DIY adaptor in option 2. I would like to stick to the old SM-EW67 junction and be able to use the internal battery and charger. If I could avoid using the new junction just to charge the battery and update the firmware that would be great.

freeloader

by freeloader

With some mediocre soldering skill, i managed to make it myself -

1) male end to EW-SD50 - inside of DC power plug + Pin
http://www.surplus-electronics-sales.co ... m%20sm.jpg
2) male end to SM-BCR2 - 2 Pin power connector http://www.technologicalarts.ca/shop/co ... e0c0c3.jpg

I do not have any quality camera to show you the actual thing. It's just a proof of concept, the connection is not as secure as preferred. i would most likely improve on it by -

1) cut and solder an extra EW-SD50 cable to micro-usb female connector (connects directly to battery, junction box SM-JC41, or shifter port)
2) cut and solder 2 Pin power connector to to micro-usb male connector

That way, i should be able to use a 3rd party charger(for charging only, 8.4V, 0.4A) as well , and the connection would be much more secure.

Anders

by Anders

I think the reason why Shimano chose a different connector type for the charging port is that the EW-SD50 connector is only designed to be connected a limited number of times. It will loose the klick in time and wouldn't be watertigth anymore. If it's just the connector getting worn that would be ok, but if it's the socket that would be bad news. Water will get under the hoods at some point in time. Is the charging connector a standard type?

freeloader

by freeloader

You have a point.

You can refer to this for close-ups on the connector -

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113374&start=15#p968358

I think it's proprietary

notaero

by notaero

So I have the SM-BTR2 internal battery in front of me, with the circlip, wave washer, 2x normal washers and the two black 180 degree sleeves. How do I go about affixing this to my seat post?

I've read about the foam method in the other thread, but I'm sure there must be a reason for these extra parts and I assume it's because there is a simple way to fix it in place with them. I would appreciate some advice if anyone has used these, thanks.

Anders

by Anders

Only if your seatpost came with an aluminium sleve bonded into it you need these pieces. If not it's the foam method.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

415brian

by 415brian

Anders wrote:Only if your seatpost came with an aluminium sleve bonded into it you need these pieces. If not it's the foam method.

Yep, you must have a seatpost sleeve designed specifically for the internal battery. My pics of such a seatpost are in this thread: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113374&start=15

Since posting those pics, I switched seatposts and went with the foam method. Just as secure and lighter (no sleeve, no hardware and I cut my seatpost):