Laid up after a collision with PU truck

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

skiezo

by skiezo

I was out on a ride last weekend just starting to get my legs back after the winter. I was going down the road feeling fine when all of the sudden a PU truck makes a right turn as I was coming to an intersection. I hit the truck at 20+ mph and flew over the bars with my feet still clipped in. My front wheel got lodged into the fender well and up I went.
My head hit the front pillar of the truck as well as my shoulder.
Ended up it the hospital for two days with a broken clavicle,2 cracked vertebrae in my neck as well as bruised ribs and kidney.
Needless to say I am sore as hell as well as a bit banged up. The collision tore the HT from the TT on my TI Dean.
There was a police officer who watched the whole thing so help was there right away. They flew me to a local trama unit.
Can't say I remember much after my head hit.
5 days after the incident and I still can not believe what happened.
I guess the guy is being charged with a number of things as well as driving after drinking.
I will be meeting with my lawyer with in the next week or so as I can not work for the next 6 weeks or so as well.
I am just glad that I escaped more serious injury. This was my first collision in 30+ years of riding. It sure scared the hell out of me.
So I am off the bike for 6 weeks or so as well as being all banged up. I just hope that I heal with no limitations.

Skiezo

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

That truly stinks! Heal up quick, definitely keep us posted!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

renoracing

by renoracing

Sorry to hear that... I took a pretty good spill two weeks ago when I rolled the bead off my front tire at 33mph.. Amazingly, I Ended up walking away with only some road rash and a banged up knee. Bike held up okay aside from some necessary wheel truing and handle bar/brifter straightening. Even just being "forced" to take the following week off was tough for me as I was heading to my first peak of the season for an upcoming race. I'm back at it now and feeling close to 100%...
Keep your head up and hang in there. It could always be worse!!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Here's to you mending quickly! Sounds like you'll have some time to plan a new build :wink:

bura

by bura

Sorry to hear your accident. I wish you a very quick healing to be on your bike again.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

kac

by kac

Most unfortunate that happened to you and most fortunate that you survived relatively intact. Better still, you have a credible witness and therefore some chance of legal retribution.

Having had many near-miss experiences over many years riding (and one side-swipe by a car resulting in a crash), I'm trying to be extra-cautious these days. While I have no idea whether or not daytime lights actually help, I have the impression that they do. I recently bought some very unobtrusive but bright (70 L) Lezyne "micro" lights and cars seem to be giving me a bit more room. Once miniaturized and weaponized drones become cheap, I'll buy a set of those to cover my flanks a bit better.

kode54

by kode54

that sucks. spring riding is awful since drivers are not used to bikers being out on the roads as much. glad you escaped catastrophic injury and hope you recover quickly...although broken bones are pretty bad. at 20+, your accident happened in an instant. drivers tend to misjudge speeds on bike, and on top of it...while intoxicated makes it worse.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I had an almost identical accident happen last year when a guy in his very large pickup took a left from oncomming traffic right in front of me. I was smart/lucky enough to turn right and slam into him hard with my left shoulder. Separated it, but it kept me from taking the impact with my face through his passenger window or truck bed... Heal up and get a good lawyer!

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Ah bad luck- heal up soon

skiezo

by skiezo

UPDATE::::::
It has been 4 weeks since my collision. I am healing up nicely, actually quicker than I expected. At my age not much happens quickly tho.
Shoulder is healing up with full mobility so far. My neck is doing OK, still a bit sore on extension tho.
I have been in contact with Spec. and they sent me a new helment as a crash replacement.
Dean offered to build a new bike at a nice discount, but I have two in the stable so I will pass on the offer.
Got my new shoes today as my old lakes were cut off.
I have been on my rollers with a fork stand just to they to keep my legs in the game.
I will be trying to get on the road later in the week for a easy ride.
I am thinking in 2 weeks I will be back in the saddle as long as the DR. says it is ok.

Skiezo

eric

by eric

Glad to hear you're healing well. Did you get anything from the driver's insurance?

skiezo

by skiezo

Medical bills are paid as well as compensation for lost wages. We are still going back and forth on the value of the bike and components. The bars,post and saddle were brand new as well as the wheelset and tires. The groupset was a record 10 speed from 2007 or so.
I provided copies of the the receipts for the items I bought over the winter for that bike. So we are still going back and forth as to the value of everything. They just can not believe how a wheel set can cost $850 plus $45 per tire.
I am sure we will get it all worked out and I will get a fair market value. We will see tho.

Skiezo

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Good to hear you are feeling better.

Keep on them with the insurance. Let us know how it goes.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skiezo

by skiezo

Well, we finally settled on compensation on the bike that got totaled. The insurance companies sure are a PITA to deal with.
I had to show receipts for all the new parts that I bought for that bike over the winter. They included enve 2.0 fork, new CK HS, Zipp SL bars, New Ultimate post,saddle and custom made wheels and tires. They are giving me what I paid for the new parts as they only had 3 or 4 rides on them and are giving me a nice amount for the frame and groupo.
I bought the trashed bike back from the insurance company as some of the parts were not affected in the collision.
The guy who built the wheels will give me a nice break on getting a new front wheel built and will check the rear for any damage.
I will be getting a new steel bike made with the $ and will still have some left over for the rest of the parts.
I have been in contact with a few builders and will decide in the near future.
I am looking at a custom geometry based on a mix of Columbus Sprit/Life/S3 tubing with SS rear triangle and bb30 BB as well as a 44mm inset HS and enve on the front end. It will be fillet brazed for the seamless look. It will be sporting a chorus 11 speed group.

I have been riding quite a bit over the last few weeks and feel like I am getting back to my riding form slowly. I have been doing 40 to 60 mile rides at a moderate/fast tempo 3 days a week and doing a climbing ride 1 day a week.
I still have a bit of neck discomfort but the chiropractor is getting that worked out. The shoulder is not giving me any problems and my rib cage is close to 100%.

Skiezo
It is good to have all of this behind me and feel a full recovery is possible.