Bike24.de Not honouring Shimano Warranty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Looking for some advice...

Bought a Dura Ace Di2 groupset from Bike24.de (2 years and 3 months ago), its developed a fault.

They have categorically stated they will not honour the 3 year Dura Ace warranty...

We thank you for your request at Bike24.

I'm sorry, but we only offer the 24 month for warranty.

http://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=2;navigation=1

§ 13 Warranty for defects and liability

We also have only the possibility to do a claim within 24 month.

And when I then referred them to Shimano.com

See this page...

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... anty3.html

“• for three years for Dura-Ace and XTR branded products only;
from the date of original retail purchase.”

I got the reply...

We thank you for your request at Bike24.

We need such an information from the german Shimano Distributor. We asked our Dealer here in germany and they told us, that there isn't a 3 year warranty. I'm very sorry, but we can't do anything in this case.

The last reply from them was 4 days ago. I have since emailed them on multiple occasions, and have not had any further replies.

So first, be warned about this company blatant disregard for legal warranties!

Second, any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

As this is a Shimano warranty, try taking it to your local shimano dealer, they should be able to act on the warranty. It's usually easiest to go through the shop you're bought from but in this case your local dealer should be able to assist.

Secondly, what's the fault? Have you run some diagnostics, as it may not be a warranty-able claim anyway
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

As I bought from a website/company based in Germany, and I'm in the UK it's complicated the matter a little more...

A couple of local bike shops I've contacted refuse to take it saying "this is the problem with internet purchases".

And when I've contacted Maddison themselves (UK Shimano dealers) they refuse to accept it back, saying it needs to go back to the place I bought it.

And before someone says "should have supported your LBS"... Before I made the purchase I went to my LBS and asked them to get me a Di2 groupset, and they told me it would take them 6 months before they could get stock.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I would try to contact Shimano directly. It is a 3year warranty. It should not matter what country you bought it from, as long as you have a proof of purchase and they are an authorised Shimano dealer. The local shops and the UK distributor are doing you a disservice.
Here, as long as you have a receipt, we process the warranty. The most you would owe is for shipping one way, but Shimano usually reimburses us that too if we throw a note in with the returned item. And you would owe for any removal/reinstallation we do, of course. But that's it.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

It appears to me you are within your rights. That is, as long it's a actual faulty product, not an issue caused by normal wear and tear - this will probably up to Shimano to decide.

EU law states:
The 2-year guarantee is an EU-wide minimum, and the laws in some EU countries may offer you longer limitation periods. In some countries, once the first 6 months of the two-year guarantee period have passed, you may need to prove that the product was faulty or not as advertised when you received it, if the seller contests this. In some countries, there are also deadlines for contacting the seller after discovering the defect.
In addition, many sellers or manufacturers offer their own commercial guarantees, e.g. an “EU warranty” which promises to repair your product in any EU country, e.g. for 1,3 or 5 years). These may be free or for optional purchase.
These additional commercial guarantees are binding and must be written in plain intelligible language. They never replace the minimum 2-year guarantee, which you always have from the seller as your legal right.

But the shimano warranty states:
This warranty only applies in Europe. This warranty is governed by and construed under the laws of the country or state in which the Shimano Product was purchased. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and those rights may vary from country to country, or state to state. Ask your dealer for details of any warranty terms that apply specifically to the country where you purchased your Shimano Product.

Since the Shimano warranty explicitly states to check with your dealer about warranty terms that apply specifically to the country, bike24 should check with Shimano Germany if the 3 years apply in Germany.

Either way, I'd check with Shimano Germany to see if there are restrictions or not. If not, Bike24 should allow you to send the goods for inspection by Shimano to see if it's a valid warranty claim.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Hmm ok. So the last reply i got from them:-

We need such an information from the german Shimano Distributor. We asked our Dealer here in germany and they told us, that there isn't a 3 year warranty. I'm very sorry, but we can't do anything in this case

Is basically bike24 doing what you say (checking with Shimano Germany) and reporting to me that the 3 years Shimano warranty does not exist in Germany according to them.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I think so yes.
Try to check with Shimano yourself ?
The warranty information which is valid or not in a specifc country is hard to find.
All I know is each country can have their own - but it needs to be the minimum of EU 2 years. So the question is which overrides which, the country law or the manufacturer's warranty period (which is 3 years in your case for the the EU). I would say, the manufacturer's warranty period takes precedence since each manufacturer is free to offer a longer warranty.

ElDepo

by ElDepo

Check out this link: http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... anty3.html

According to the Shimano warranty posted on there EU website Dura Ace has a 3 year warranty and to make a claim you need to return the product to an authorized shimano dealer, preferrably the dealer it was purchased from (this is not a requirement) with your original dated invoice or receipt.

It looks like Bike24 and many local dealers do not know the terms of Shimano's Dura Ace warranty.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Yes ElDepo, this is my understanding of the situation also.

But where I am is, Bike24.de now don't even reply to my emails, and here in the UK, Madison and local dealers refuse to help.

There is no email address for anyone at Shimano.com I can find. So I don't know who to turn to next.

ElDepo

by ElDepo

Try caling Shimano Europe -- here's the address and phone #

SHIMANO EUROPE HOLDING B.V. / SHIMANO EUROPE FISHING HOLDING B.V. / SHIMANO EUROPE BIKE HOLDING B.V. / SHIMANO BENELUX B.V. / SHIMANO EUROPE B.V. / SHIMANO EUROPE RETAIL DIVISION B.V.
Industrieweg 24, 8071 CT Nunspeet, The Netherlands
Phone:+31-341-272222 Fax:+31-341-272294

Let us know what hapens

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I seem to have made a friend after finding an email address for someone at Shimano US.

Will update this post when I know more.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

@WeightySteve, silly post deleted.

Please keep things on topic.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

liam7020

by liam7020

I'll be interested to see how this pans out. Just bought a load of gear from Bike24 including some Campag with a 4 year warranty. I've used Bike24 previously and found them to be very efficient, as well as being extremely keen on price. But then I haven't had any problems to resolve as yet....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Like you, i've had great service, good prices and fast shipping etc, this was the first time I've had to look into post sales service.

Well, I got a positive reply from them eventually (Friday)

Apparently there were some public holidays in Germany this week which caused them not to reply for most of last week, but now they have been told by their Distributers that they have to honour the Shimano warranty.

I guess they will have to match Campy's 4 year too if thats the case.

So I had to persevere with them, but maybe now for future reference they will understand the situation more clearly (and maybe even update their T&C's on the web?).

All good in the end though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Good to know. Thanks !