Cyfac questions.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I see their are a few threads on here about Cyfacs, but I didn't see my question answered.
My 40th birthday is rapidly approaching and I've decided to treat myself to a Cyfac. I've been riding full carbon bikes the last few years and currently have a full custom (geometry and carbon layup) frame. I've ridden a few carbon frames over the last few years and have realized that I simply dislike the muted feeling they offer. So, I've decided to go aluminum. The fastest bike I've ever ridden is a GIOS new A-90. It killed my back, but it was fast as hell. I've done my homework and it's pretty obvious that Cyfac makes arguably the finest aluminum bike on the planet. No,, this isn't the part where everyone else chimes in telling me what kind of aluminum bike is better. Cyfac, to me, is where it's at.
Ok,, my question. Which frame is stiffer. The Nerv with the carbon rear end or the proxidium with the aluminum rear end? I'm not comparing stiffness to weight or stiffness to comfort. I'm just simply looking for flat out stiffness. I do not spin. At all! I turn a rather massive gear. So stiffness is the most important factor and the reason I want an aluminum frame. Again,, this isn't the part where everyone else chimes in comparing BB stiffness of their carbon (or other) bikes. I'm looking for an uber stiff (pro level stiffness) frame that is artisan built.
I thank anyone in advance that has some first hand experience and apologize for perhaps coming across as abit of an ass. I've just seen too many really good threads on here go so far off topic that you'd swear it was CBC radio (fellow Canadians will get that one) due to people feeling the need to add their own two cents where it wasn't any help at all. In some cases, I can see it being helpful, this won't be one of those cases.
Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

Why don't you contact Cyfac and ask them. I doubt seriously anyone on this forum has put these two frames on a test stand and run the numbers. If Cyfac offers the frames each way then they should be able to provide information on stiffness. Cyfac are nice frames, by the way.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I had thought about that and it makes perfect sense. I'm hoping for some "real world" feedback though.
Something tells me it's going to be "both", but in their own way. The Nerv "should" have the stiffer front end and the Proxidium "should" have the stiffer rear end. Which will likely have me just simply picking the one I want more.lol

LouisN

by LouisN

I can speak of my experience with the Proxydium frame.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64011&hilit=proxydium
It's an amazing frame, would get it again anytime. In fact, I'm trying to find an XS or two for my daughters :)

On the Cyfac site, the Nerv DS2 is around 150g lighter than the Proxydium. Absolu rear triangle, and the higher end fork. I liked the "standard" fork on the Proxydium (360g cut if my memory's good). Can't speak about the Nerv stiffness though. The Proxydium shure is STIFF !!! AND comfortable !!! Never had any problems with 120-140 km's rides.

Louis :)

boolinwall

by boolinwall

That's the exact kind of feedback I'm looking for.
I really miss the immediate acceleration of stiff, well made, well aligned aluminum. I've yet to experience it on a carbon frame. I see that they've flattened the seat stays to absorb vibration abit better. Thus explaining the way people seem to rave about the comfort of Cyfac's all alloy frames.
Also, do you find that the slack seat angle makes your 55cm top tube feel more like a 54?

LouisN

by LouisN

I usually ride a 54 TT, but I have a long torso (5'10'' for 82cm inseam), so the standard M size fit me perfect with a 110mm stem.

I had two custom steel frames (road and Track) in the past and they both had 55cm top tubes, and around 73° STA for the road frame. That's the main reason why I bought the Cyfac, I was pretty certain with the fit.

My CF frame has 53.5 TT, with 74° STA, and I had to push the saddle very far back, and use a 120mm stem to achieve same position ( I run around 80mm saddle setback.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I'm trying to decide on a "M" or "L". My carbon frame is a 55 top tube with a 74 seat angle. I'm thinking of going with a large Cyfac. Theoretically, a 56 top tube with a 72.5 seat angle should offer the same reach. I guess I could also ride a medium and use a longer stem. The 150mm head tube on the medium excites me more than the 160 on the large. My carbon frame is custom in that it has a 55 top tube with a 150 head tube. 55 normally gets you a 160 head tube.

LouisN

by LouisN

If you look at the pic in my link, I cut the fork tube and slammed the stem without spacers, but the conical top cap. My 82cm inseam shows you there's plenty of room to move the seatpost up by a few cm's, and still run the front end comfortably low, if you're relatively flexible.
Fit is personnal, but I'd say up to 84cm inseam, and 5'11", I'd go M.
For 85cm inseam or higher, or both taller then 5'11'' with more than 84cm inseam, I'd go large...

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I'm only 5'9", but I ride a very long bike with a low front end. Our inseam is the same. So it sounds like a medium is what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the input.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I have two Cyfac's, one in size L and one in size M.
Due to the geo, the difference in fit is minimal.
So base your choice on the required HT size.
I am 5'10 with a 85cm inseam, i usually prefer a saddle to bars drop of 8cm, saddle tip to bars is 55cm, saddle height is 74.7cm. I can fit well on either frame size.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

That's kind of what I figured due to the seat angle differences between the two sizes. They should, theoretically be the same length give or take a few mm's. So yeah, the 150mm head tube would be better for my long and low position. I can get low enough with a 160 head tube, but I prefer at least one spacer.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've got a rando-Nerv. It's not the stiffest thing ever, but is deffo smooth for Al. It's 100% Al though (fork excluded) and is a size L cyclosportive fit which works fine with a -10 deg 120mm stem for me, also 180cm and long legs.

Don't worry about model at all, call them, tell them what you want, they will make it. That's the beauty of cyfac. IMHO, I think over time a carbon rear end would not be as homogenous, but that's me.

Fwiw, your description matches a Gaulzetti more than any Cyfac.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I have looked at Gaulzetti's and they look really well done. A Love#3 would also be a nice option. However, I'm thinking Cyfac and leaning towards full aluminum. Something more like my old GIOS. Hell, if not for the annoying sliding dropouts, I'd probably buy another GIOS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com