HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 pm 

I have always rode the Conti GP4000s as an everyday tire (I like it). What recommendations can you make for a tubeless road tires?

http://www.bebikes.com/

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:31 pm 
Shop Owner

Bontrager R3

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:59 am 

Well, the obvious is Hutchinson. The Intensive is not really a 25mm, but it is a reasonably puncture resistant option and seems to wear well. I use these on my commuter with H Plus Son rims - works great. On my racier road bike I have been using Fusions, bit I am done with tubeless on that bike. I have gone through a few sets of Fusions. They don't last very long (1000-1500 miles for rear tire in my experience) before I start getting punctures on rides from glass, etc. (With sealant) And the setup is not especially light.

I don't find road tubeless to have as many benefits as tubeless for cx or mtb, since sealant doesn't work to seal normal punctures at such high pressures. It hasn't for me, anyway (numerous data points now, unfortunately).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:47 am 

I've used several pair of all the Hutchinson RT tires - atoms, fusions and intensives. I've only had one puncture that blew air in probably a total of 20000km on those tires as trainin tires over the past year. That one time I just got off, took the weheel off, did the wheel shake and it stopped. I still had approx 60psi and rode home fast no problem. I irde in new england USA and in Czech Republic and Slovakia. The roads get really nasty in these places.

That said I also ride veloflex tubs and Conti clinchers and pretty much never get flats, even on gravel and tons of rough and dirty roads.. Go figure.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:06 pm 

Well, if you rarely flat on any tires, then you probably won't flat more frequently on RT :). I weigh on heavier side (for roadies) -- 175-180 lbs -- so that may be a difference. Anyway, the Fusions are not horrible, they just aren't a silver bullet against flats (in my experience they are like Gatorskins, they just weigh a lot more). I have found sealant only holds to 40-50 psi with glass/rock cuts, but obviously it will hold better with smaller holes. The difference is that you still have to fix the tire when you get home, whereas on the mtb sealant seals punctures and you can just ignore them.

Anyway, the Intensives are a good option for durability, though they are sized more like 23mm than the claimed 25mm. There are the new 28mm RT tires from Hutchinson, but they are stupid expensive.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 pm 

Well, if you rarely flat on any tires, then you probably won't flat more frequently on RT :). I weigh on heavier side (for roadies) -- 175-180 lbs -- so that may be a difference. Anyway, the Fusions are not horrible, they just aren't a silver bullet against flats (in my experience they are like Gatorskins, they just weigh a lot more). I have found sealant only holds to 40-50 psi with glass/rock cuts, but obviously it will hold better with smaller holes. The difference is that you still have to fix the tire when you get home, whereas on the mtb sealant seals punctures and you can just ignore them.

Anyway, the Intensives are a good option for durability, though they are sized more like 23mm than the claimed 25mm. There are the new 28mm RT tires from Hutchinson, but they are stupid expensive.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 pm 

I have been on road tubeless for about two years now. I have used Hutchinson Fusion and Maxxis Padrone, now on Bontrager R3 25 mm, and have Hutchinson Secteur 28 mm on order. Anyways, I love tubeless; great comfort, good grip, and great durability. I have had one flat in two years that the sealant couldn't take care of, and that was a massive sidewall cut from a piece of glass. My favorite tires so far are the Bontrager R3. That said, I am anxious to give the Hutchinson Secteur a try.

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:42 pm 

I want to order a pair of the Secteurs for my dads BMC, but he likes his Grand Bois tires too much for me to switch them. Looking forward to your review fa!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 am 

All very good info.

Anyone have experience using none tubeless rims with Stan's style kit and tubeless tires?

http://www.bebikes.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm 

I've run all three Hutchinsons, and now on Bonty R3.

I liked the Fusions out of all the Hutchinsons but the Bontys (in 25mm) are the best of the lot. Good grip and suppleness. Wear isn't brilliant though. I don't note down my mileage so I'm not sure what they are running but they seem to wear quicker than the Fusions.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:02 am 

pushstart, I weigh 175lb. Not a ton of my miles are on regular clinchers and I use stans in my veloflex as well. I also mtb with tubeless and agree with your point about the high pressure. You have to be quick to make sure the puncture is at the bottom as soon as you hear a leak with the road tubeless. But when I inspect the tires I do find sealant has stopped small punctures, so I'm sure its' way less prone to flat and strand you than a clincher.