Show off you WW 29r builds!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tonytourist

by tonytourist

That's an awesome bike!
How do you like the SID? I am thinking about ordering one, and after seeing yours on your all black bike I think I'm going to.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

It still has a few heavy parts on it, planning on getting this pig into the 19s!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aspms

by aspms

quality carbon repairs and paintjobs @bikebay.lv
https://www.instagram.com/bikebay.lv/

Getter

by Getter

That Stumpy looks great!

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

tonytourist: Is that an aluminium frame? Otherwise it seems quite heavy considering it has ENVE wheels and a Tune saddle.

Still a nice bike though :)

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

That is not heavy for a bike with a fork and decent tires, etc. Our Cannondale dealer (who is about 5' 5") brags about his 19 something bike that costs $15,000 and the difference of about 1 lb. could be accounted for in the dif between the lefty fork and the regular sus fork. Also, Enve wheels are not that light. I think the rims are over 400 grams and there are many options in the 370-380 range. The advantage of carbon wheels on a 29er is stiffness not overall weight. Even the latest SRAM wheelsets the top of the line weigh more than the middle of the line but the carbon wheels are better due to much increased stiffness.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

It's an aluminum frame with aluminum bars, a heavy cassette and heavy pedals.
There are plenty of ways to lighten it up, I am considering XX1 as the current 1x10 setup has me wishing for a lower gear occasionally. Still contemplating a few things..

cailas

by cailas

Trek Gary Fisher Superfly 8.96kg

BmanX

by BmanX

16.75 lbs. Still have to buy a new saddle/post as I just slapped these on for the picture. Also want to tune the eggbeaters with Ti spindles from Ward and new wider bars. Cranks need to be sanded down to nude and that will finish the build. Goal is to be under 16 lbs.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Building up my rig as we speak. I have a thread going right now. Check it here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=115542

I'm still undecided as to the fork, but in terms of wheels, I'll be using 2011 Bontrager RXL, running Geax AKA TNT 2.2's. They're a heavy setup, but given my area, I need as much help in the sand/rock as possible.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

yourdaguy wrote:That is not heavy for a bike with a fork and decent tires, etc. Our Cannondale dealer (who is about 5' 5") brags about his 19 something bike that costs $15,000 and the difference of about 1 lb. could be accounted for in the dif between the lefty fork and the regular sus fork. Also, Enve wheels are not that light. I think the rims are over 400 grams and there are many options in the 370-380 range. The advantage of carbon wheels on a 29er is stiffness not overall weight. Even the latest SRAM wheelsets the top of the line weigh more than the middle of the line but the carbon wheels are better due to much increased stiffness.

I'm sorry, but I disagree on a few points here :) The 1 lb difference can not be found in the Lefty vs SID XX (which I assume, given the grey color of the fork in the picture). Second, ENVE wheels are quite light. The clincher rims weigh 385 g according to the info on www.enve.com. That's quite good IMO.

The SRAM Rise 60 29er wheelset (which I assume is what you're talking about) weighs 1420 g according to Specialized's website. I wouldn't say that's more than a middle of the line 29er wheelset (of course that depends on your idea of a middle of the line wheelset) :)

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My Enves weighed 1494g, a set of Roval Control SLs were lighter at 1450(?) but my set had play out of the box. I run extra Stan's because we get a lot of thorns here. Plenty of ways to lighten it further, I'm working on it. Yes it is a Sid XX WC, great fork so far.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have a set of Crests that weigh 1440 and a set of cheap Chinese carbon wheels that weigh 1420. The cheap Chinese carbon rims weighed ~370 and the Crests weighed ~380 so that is the difference but the difference in performance is night and day. The additional stiffness is very noticeable. The narrow ENVE's to which you must be refering weigh ~380 http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/11/30/env ... d-weighed/ but are only 18 mm wide inside. My wheels are much wider inside around 22 IIRC. The Enve wheels I was referring to as being heavier are the wider ones and they do weigh over 400 IIRC but are more comparable to the Crests and my cheap Chinese carbon rims being almost exactly the same width. Apples to apples.

I own a 2012 Sid and they are very light mine weighet 1630 but not as light as a lefty. The model of lefty makes a difference but the higher end carbon one with all adapters, etc ends up being almost exactly a pound lighter than my SID. I know people that have converted and that is the overall savings.

The SRAM wheelsets are the same as my wheels above. The aluminum wheels (Crest and Rise 60) can be as light as carbon wheels. The fact that my set is 20 grams lighter in carbon and SRAM's set is 50 grams heavier in carbon is neglibible. The performance difference is in the stiffness and responsiveness.

I stand by my original point that his bike is not heavy for what it is. I think anybody that has put in the effort to get weight off a bike will agree with me. Even after you spend mucho $ to get a light bike you will not enjoy it if you put 500 gram tires on it and depending on the type of riding you do your best tires could easily weigh 1500 grams instead of 1000 for the lightest tires.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

mpower

by mpower

My 2013 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper Carbon 29 SRAM XX1 build with some upgrades. The frame is size S = 15.5" and stock weight without pedal is 8.55 kgs.

With some following upgrades made it to 8.82 kgs with pedals:
- S-Works SL 100mm stem
- Tubeless conversion
- Hope F183mm and R160mm floating rotors
- Token CNC pedals

Stock:

After:

Next target to bring down the weight to 8.35 kgs with the arrival of S-Works Toupe saddle this coming Tuesday and also with tires change to Maxxis MaxxLite 29er. :beerchug:

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

yourdaguy - I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was, at first glance it seemed like it should be lighter, because the other parts are really light. But since it's an aluminium frame, that's probably why. Actually my point is that all the "extra weight" is in the frame, because most of the other components are already more or less as light as they get (for stuff that's supposed to be ridden regularly). And still - great looking bike!

So. I don't disagree with you on the fact that it isn't a heavy bike with those components and that frame. Not at all :)

But it sounded to me like you're saying that the fork and wheels are mediocre, that's where I disagree. The wheelset is as light as it gets without going tubular. The Lefty XLR 90 weighs around 1411 g without steerer (http://www.probikeswap.com/wp-content/u ... G_0470.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Add another 100 g (+) for the steerer, unless you count it as stem weight. SRAM lists the SID XX WC at 1485 g. A pound is around 450 g. Unless you started out with a heavy fork (ie. not the one on tonytourists bike, which is already very light), you won't save a pound.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com