Cheap light "tubeless ready" 29er tires?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gabe

by Gabe

I've been using the 610 gram racing ralph 2.25" performance line version and like them except they started leaking sealant around a seam in the sidewalls. it does take about a month for a serving of sealant to make its way out. these tires aren't "tubeless ready" so I guess thats why this is happening after about 5 months. the evolution line is TL ready but cost double the money. so anything around $40 that have similar weight and TL ready?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I just got 2 RR Evolution line 29 x 2.35. They were supposed to weigh 620 grams and they actually weighed 550 and 570. They sealed up fine (the 550 one had a pinhole that sealed immediately) and I bought mine on ebay for a landed cost of $54.50 each: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330905912494?ss ... 1439.l2649
For the few more bucks and the weight savings and performance gain, I would buy these in a heartbeat.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

One other point of information. The compound on these is very soft and sticky and they might not last as long as the previous RR 2.4 with the 390 compound but they sure do stick.

mentok

by mentok

conti race kings do ok for the dollar. not as sticky as a racing ralph but at like half the price it's best not to complain. does the job on our local sandy hardpack, sandstone and leaves. not sure about real-world weights unfortunately...

Gabe

by Gabe

yourdaguy wrote:I just got 2 RR Evolution line 29 x 2.35. They were supposed to weigh 620 grams and they actually weighed 550 and 570. They sealed up fine (the 550 one had a pinhole that sealed immediately) and I bought mine on ebay for a landed cost of $54.50 each: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330905912494?ss ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the few more bucks and the weight savings and performance gain, I would buy these in a heartbeat.

thanks for the link. I found the 2.25" from the same seller for sale. I've always thought the compound on my RR were soft, which I like for the front at least, so if the evo is softer, that could be trouble for the rear tread life.

since the tread in the rear is almost gone on my RR at almost 3000 miles, I was thinking of getting something with a harder compound. like maybe the maxxis ikon, but they don't say if its TL ready or not. my front tread is fine, could probably go another 3k miles. just need both tires to be TL ready so I don't go through sealant.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

The Ikon without the snakeskin is my favorite rear and the RR is my favorite front. The Ikons wear longer but they have a very thin sidewall. They will be fine, but when you first inflate them with sealant they might have several holes in the sidewall. Those holes will soon seal and they will be fine. Half my bikes are set up Ikon rear RR front.

Gabe

by Gabe

yourdaguy wrote:The Ikon without the snakeskin is my favorite rear and the RR is my favorite front. The Ikons wear longer but they have a very thin sidewall. They will be fine, but when you first inflate them with sealant they might have several holes in the sidewall. Those holes will soon seal and they will be fine. Half my bikes are set up Ikon rear RR front.

how long have you had your ikons set up with stans?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Close to 2 months.

Gabe

by Gabe

yourdaguy wrote:Close to 2 months.

hm, was hoping you would say a year. I don't want to have the problem that I had with my RR. what other tires compare to ikon for compound and weight?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

My favorite combo is RR 2.35 front and Ikon 2.2 rear. There are no other tires that I am aware of that are less than 600 grams actual and have this much traction and volume. The Ikons have several hundred rear miles and are holding up well. I actually think I would like the RR even better on the rear but like you, I think they would wear too fast. I would not worry too much about the TL ready aspect. That is probably why my Ikons had some pin holes when I first mounted them, but that is what sealant is for. On my rims after being run tubeless for over a month the Ikons end up at 2.2 and the 2.35 RR's end up at 2.3 which since I usually like a slightly larger front this aspect works out well also.

anicomp568

by anicomp568

I have a good experience with Conti X-King. I do not know if they are labelled as tubeless ready, they were losing pressure for the first 2-3 days. Now after 700 km still without any problem.
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

Gabe

by Gabe

any more recommendations? I looked closer at my tires where I see the wet line. its not so much a seam but a line of tiny cracks. I've taken the tire off and removed clumps of dried sealant in the past, never scrubbed the tire out though. maybe if I scrub it out the sealant will seal up these cracks?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have not familiarity with the performance line so I can't help.

swaits

by swaits

I'm running S-works Fastrak in the back and S-Works Ground Control up front, 2.1 I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com