My canyon ride

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dimmels

by dimmels

Hi,
I have been a bit of a lingerer now for a year or so and although i have had a few bikes including a Gios torino professional ( rather rare nowdays ) , a Billato built up with record from skinnywheels in rugby ( now no longer ) and now a 2012 Canyon ultimate slx which was built up with record and a mavic kyrium slr wheelset. The wheels looked great on the bike and were very stiff and strong ( i'm 97kg ) but they just didnt roll as well as the campag neutrons that i had on the old billato bike. I decided to change the wheels so i tried some 2011 cosmic carbone slr wheels which were faster but didnt roll any better ... if that makes sense ? They didnt deal that well with my weight so they just had to go. I decided to go tubular and have been very happy with the way they roll and the comfort. I went for bora ultra two wheels for the timed rides i do and stayed with the kyrium slr wheels for the hilly rides i do, but ever since i watched the tour de france in the late 90's ive always lusted after hyperons. So after a number of months saving i pulled the pin and got a pair of hyperon ulta two tubs which are wearing veloflex tyres. My canyon started life at 6.65kg excluding pedals but is now around 6kg or maybe a bit under as i dont have proper bike scales. My bike consists of the following parts with various additions and upgrades.

canyon ultimate slx 58cm
2012 record groupset ( excluding cranks,brakes,cassette )
super record compact evo carbon ti cranks 36/52
super record 11-25 cassette
ax lightness orion brakes (swissstop pads )
schmolke sl seatpost ( 300mm )
schmolke oversize compact sl bars 44cm
tune komm-vorr saddle
kmc x11-sl silver chain
campag bora ulta two with corsa evo cx tubs ( soon to be scwalbe ultremo ht tubs )
campag hyperon ultra two tubs with veloflex ultimate on front and carbon on back.

I did get a set of tune dc14 skewers for christmas which are very light 34 grms or something, but but they dont hold the wheels as well and they hurt my hands when i want them tight. the campagnolo ones just do a better job in my opinion , but its a shame they weigh 130 grms !!
Attachments
bora.jpg
hyperon.jpg
front.jpg
my set of ksyrium SLR clinchers, which the bike came with ... i still thinks they look awesome and suit the frame well.
my set of ksyrium SLR clinchers, which the bike came with ... i still thinks they look awesome and suit the frame well.
Last edited by dimmels on Sat May 11, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caballero

by caballero

Awesome !!

dimmels

by dimmels

thanks,
what part of aus are you from ? i used to live in perth for 22 years.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

This are a few of us Perthites on here :grin:
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

davec

by davec

Looks badass. Tactical even!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dimmels

by dimmels

hi mark,
good to hear we have a perth following, on the off chance ... do you know a guy called steve farran, he and i used to do athletics in the 80's-90's and i know he is really into cycling and is part of a club but not sure which one !

dimmels

by dimmels

hi davek,
i was thinking of making bike more stealth by removing wheel stickers, but not too sure !

davec

by davec

It will look amazing either way. I'd keep the wheel stickers for as long as possible and then remove. The makeover effect will be hugely satisfying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Hey dimmel..I think he used to be involved with Riders Choice is Leederville and the adjoining cafe!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

g_doraz

by g_doraz

dimmels wrote:hi mark,
good to hear we have a perth following, on the off chance ... do you know a guy called steve farran, he and i used to do athletics in the 80's-90's and i know he is really into cycling and is part of a club but not sure which one !

Dimmels,

Steve rides with me for the Roues Chaudes Cycle Club. Quite actively involved with the club and the masters cycling / racing scene here in Perth.

You'll be able to catch him (along with me!) on the Saturday morning ride from Riders Choice at 6:30am (new route), or the tues/thurs 6am ride from the shop (old route). He also does the odd narrows ride every now and again on tues/thurs....

Oh yeh, and, nice bike!
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Nice bike.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Nice bike, wish I'd had the money for the SLX Frame, looks just that bit slicker with the all black compared to the regular CF. What are the bottle cages (am quite new here, so apologies if they are a well known choice) ?

dimmels

by dimmels

hi mattyb95 am very happy with frame, very stiff even with my weight 97kg. i actually went to the factory in koblenz germany as there are no retailers in uk. short list was slx or aeroad i kind of liked the aeroad design better , i rode both there at the factory and felt the slx was beefier as the aeroad was much more slender and to be honest looked a bit fragile. Im sure it was perfectly strong enough for me but just wanted to be sure. I was in the factory shop for 5 hours agonizing over the decision, im sure they were happy to see the back of me. All in all the trip of 2 days cost around £120 i think with ryan air from stanstead. overnight parking , bus from haan airport to hotel and back, and of coarse b&b at hotel and evening meal. If you need details of anything just contact me, i had a great time away !
by the way the cages are Arundel mandible in matte to suit the bike/

hi valbrona
thanks for your comment.

hi g_daraz
thanks for the reply, id love to catch up and go on a ride with you , but i live in the uk and the pre warm up ride would be a bit too much. have a nice ride and send my best to steven , he will know me as jamie and i used to do javelin.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Think you made the right choice with the SLX, test feedback in various magazines on the Aeroad show it to be a bit flexy in comparison to other Aero bikes.

anicomp568

by anicomp568

Nice bike, a lot of WW parts, but what about those mtb pedals? :o
Shut Up Legs! (Jens Voigt)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com